Gary Jones Defensive Tackle rankings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With Bell, Bryant, Davis, and King, the Cards shouldn't target another 1-gap DT for at least another season. That being said, the Cards should look hard at Wilfork (in the event of a trade down 5-8 slots) or Donnell Washington.

The key to the Pats' D is Ted Washington. He stopped the Panthers' run O cold. Casey Hampton is what makes' the Steelers' run D tick. Albert Haynesworth (6'6", 320) and Robiare Smith (6'4", 280) is what makes the Titans' D so good.

If the Cards need a DT, it's a big, fat, 2-gap DT/NT along the lines of Hampton, Washington, and Haynesworth. Either Wilfork or Washington could fill this role.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
With Bell, Bryant, Davis, and King, the Cards shouldn't target another 1-gap DT for at least another season. That being said, the Cards should look hard at Wilfork (in the event of a trade down 5-8 slots) or Donnell Washington.

The key to the Pats' D is Ted Washington. He stopped the Panthers' run O cold. Casey Hampton is what makes' the Steelers' run D tick. Albert Haynesworth (6'6", 320) and Robiare Smith (6'4", 280) is what makes the Titans' D so good.

If the Cards need a DT, it's a big, fat, 2-gap DT/NT along the lines of Hampton, Washington, and Haynesworth. Either Wilfork or Washington could fill this role.

My darkhorse player of this draft is Brandon Kennedy, North Texas. He looks and plays like Jerry Ball. He's short, but he can penetrate AND plug.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
A two gap tackle is the biggest need on this team IMO.

Adams and Ted Washington are available, but both are around 35 years old. Finding one in the draft is the key, either by trading down and draft Wilfolk or draft one in the 2nd.

By comparison the War Room ranks the DTs like this:

1 Tommie Harris*, Oklahoma -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 288 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
2 Vince Wilfork*, Miami (FL) -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 344 -- -- -- 5.20 -- -- -- -- -- --
3 Randy Starks*, Maryland -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 299 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
4 Donnell Washington*, Clemson -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 317 32 -- -- 4.95 32 -- -- -- -- --
5 Darnell Dockett, Florida St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 285 -- -- -- 4.90 -- -- -- -- -- --
6 Marcus Tubbs, Texas -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 324 -- -- -- 5.29 -- -- -- -- -- --
7 Dwan Edwards, Oregon St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 305 -- -- -- 5.00 -- -- -- -- -- --
8 Rodney Leisle, UCLA -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 288 -- -- -- 5.10 -- -- -- -- -- --
9 Chad Lavalais, LSU -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 294 -- -- -- 5.06 -- -- -- -- -- --
10 Isaac Sopoaga, Hawaii -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 325 -- -- -- 5.20 -- -- -- -- -- --
11 Igor Olshansky*, Oregon -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 306 -- -- -- 5.00 -- -- -- -- -- --
12 Matthias Askew*, Michigan St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 296 -- -- -- 5.00 -- -- -- -- -- --
13 DeMarco McNeil, Auburn -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 301 -- -- -- 5.00 -- -- -- -- -- --
14 Terry Johnson, Wash. -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 278 -- -- -- 4.90 -- -- -- -- -- --
15 Tommy Kelly, Miss. St.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I know I haven't had a good track record in either direction with FSU defensive linemen, but I'll go on record as warning the Cards now about Dockett. Forget the off-field stuff, this guy is a time bomb waiting to go off. Be afraid. Be very afraid. He has athleticism, but it ends there. He came up small in every major matchup for the last couple of seasons.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry
I know I haven't had a good track record in either direction with FSU defensive linemen, but I'll go on record as warning the Cards now about Dockett. Forget the off-field stuff, this guy is a time bomb waiting to go off. Be afraid. Be very afraid. He has athleticism, but it ends there. He came up small in every major matchup for the last couple of seasons.

Dockett is the "purest" one gap DT in the draft, so I doubt he's an option for the Cards. He would be a bad fit on the field IMO and apparently off the field, too.

Last edited:

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
If the Cards do end up trading down in the first round because Fitz is gone, then I hope they get a high second rounder and take a shot at Tubbs. He looks pretty good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If they're going to draft a DT, they should just cover up all the names and make sure that they don't take one unless the weight is over 320. That Hawiian kid looks intriguing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardShark
Who has the correct forty times? Jones and the War Room as quoted by Bach are different.

I think they're estimated. These will fill out over the next six weeks after the combine and pro days at the schools.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
If they're going to draft a DT, they should just cover up all the names and make sure that they don't take one unless the weight is over 320. That Hawiian kid looks intriguing.

I'm with you on the big tackles. I don't want to see them take one this year in the first round though. I don't think there are any worthy of a top 10 pick in this years draft, but I do feel they could get a good one in the top of the second.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardShark
I'm with you on the big tackles. I don't want to see them take one this year in the first round though. I don't think there are any worthy of a top 10 pick in this years draft, but I do feel they could get a good one in the top of the second.

Wilfork is kind of right on the cusp. He could vault himself in there with a strong showing at his pro day. Big 2-Gap tackles are really, really hard to find in the NFL. Wilfork could go to a team like the Texans to play NT.

I want to draft a cornerback in the second round, so I'd wait until the third. That Sopoaga should still be there then.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Huddle Report on the Kid from Hawaii

Isaac Sopoaga DT Hawaii

Strengths
Isaac is strong and powerful, strong and powerful and strong and powerful. He is great at stuffing the run. He uses his hands very well, has good lateral movement and good feet. Isaac is a pure 2-gap DT. He understands the use of leverage and is strong and powerful. (I said that, right?)

Needs to Improve
Isaac is not a pass rusher. He is a pass crusher.

Bottom Line
Isaac does one thing well and he does it very well -- STUFF THE RUN. He has natural strength. It is not made-up strength from working out. When Isaac was born, I believe he could lift and jerk 250 lbs straight out of womb. Isaac has leadership abilities. He has leadership abilities because no one in his right mind would be stupid enough NOT to follow him. This kid is still learning the game of football and the skills that are needed for his
position, but make no mistake about it, he will be a core player for his team and a great teammate. I have a feeling the name Isaac Sopoaga means ‘pick a running back up, hold over your head and throw him to the ground’. I know that's a little long, but you get the picture. I like to call him Isaac (The Crusher) Sopoaga. A star is born.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Huddle Report on the Kid from Hawaii

Isaac Sopoaga DT Hawaii

I don't know anything about the kid. But I think I have found a new favorite draftee. I would love for this kid to play here.

ISAAC SOPAGA - 3rd Rd

IGOR - 3rd Round - Comp pick

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I prefer Donnell Washington at #32. Sopoaga in the 3rd could work, too. Here's the War Rooms analysis of him:

Isaac Sopoaga
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a big, well-proportioned, powerful player who has excellent lower-body strength and plays with good leverage. Is at his best when anchoring against the run. He plays with a wide base, can take on two blockers and is tough to generate a surge against in the run game. Shows good initial quickness and the ability to penetrate when giving maximum effort, and he can be a quick, powerful bull rusher when fresh.

Weaknesses: Durability is a minor concern after an MCL injury in ’03, but he has had no other major injuries. Is a raw prospect who does not know how to use his hands and gets locked up. Effort is inconsistent, and he needs to improve variety of moves. Is just a decent athlete, does not have ideal speed or closing burst as a pass rusher, is stiff and lacks great change-of-direction skills in pursuit.

Bottom line: Sapoaga has the potential to develop into a two-down starter as a nose tackle or gap-control defensive tackle in the NFL. At the very least, he should be an excellent wave player who can contribute as a run stopper, He’s a late-Day 1 prospect.

Overall: 6.9
NFL Comparison:
Tim Bowens, Dolphins

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
I prefer Donnell Washington at #32. Sopoaga in the 3rd could work, too. Here's the War Rooms analysis of him

It's worth mentioning that the Dolphins have one of the best run defenses in the NFL with Tim Bowens, as well.

The weaknesses that the War Room mentions mainly have to do with his efficacy as a pass rusher. Ideally, we wouldn't have to use him as such, since on passing downs, Bryant and Bell/King would come in at the Tackle positions. We'd use Sopoaga in much the same way that the Pats use Ted Washington or the Packers use Gilbert Brown: Try to limit him to about 35% of total snaps. This would maximize his efficacy on rushing downs and limit his liability against the pass.

I wouldn't cry about drafting Washington at #32, but I'd personally rather use that pick on a cornerback, which is a much larger position of need, even if the Cards should sign one even two free-agents at the position. Barrett is probably gone, and Hill is entering his late 20s. The position needs an infusion of talented youth, and a 2nd round corner as well as a fifth or sixth round cornerback should do this very well. At the same time, Sopoaga should be available at the top of the 3rd round, and would be great value at that position.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that picture with Wilfork it looks like they're holding a bunch of ice cream sandwiches up to him.

If we trade down a few spots I would love to have him on our team.

If not let's take Sopoaga in the 3rd. This way we have some Hawaiin punch to go with our Kool Aid.

Igor sounds interesting too as long as we have someone who can develope him.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that the Dolphins have one of the best run defenses in the NFL with Tim Bowens, as well.

The weaknesses that the War Room mentions mainly have to do with his efficacy as a pass rusher. Ideally, we wouldn't have to use him as such, since on passing downs, Bryant and Bell/King would come in at the Tackle positions. We'd use Sopoaga in much the same way that the Pats use Ted Washington or the Packers use Gilbert Brown: Try to limit him to about 35% of total snaps. This would maximize his efficacy on rushing downs and limit his liability against the pass.

I wouldn't cry about drafting Washington at #32, but I'd personally rather use that pick on a cornerback, which is a much larger position of need, even if the Cards should sign one even two free-agents at the position. Barrett is probably gone, and Hill is entering his late 20s. The position needs an infusion of talented youth, and a 2nd round corner as well as a fifth or sixth round cornerback should do this very well. At the same time, Sopoaga should be available at the top of the 3rd round, and would be great value at that position.

Renaldo Hill - 11/12/1978 (25) entering his prime :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
Renaldo Hill - 11/12/1978 (25) entering his prime :)

Absolutely. But I still don't think that he's a long-term answer as a starting cornerback. It makes sense to cover your bets instead of hoping that Rhinehart suddenly becomes an NFL-caliber starter in the event that Hill gets injured, leaves town via free agency (he should be given a long-term contract this offseason, though), or is (God forbid) catastrophically injured.

Mac said it over and over in the preseason: You can never have enough cornerbacks. We need at least one good young one, especially if Barrett leaves.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Assface
In that picture with Wilfork it looks like they're holding a bunch of ice cream sandwiches up to him.

Its a Klondike bar! They were trying to hypnotize Wilfork with a Klondike bar!!!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry

Watched him a few games and he's the poster child for a "tweener" Too small for DT at the next level and too slow for DE. He'll go higher than he should.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Originally posted by Assface

If we trade down a few spots I would love to have him on our team.

If not let's take Sopoaga in the 3rd. This way we have some Hawaiin punch to go with our Kool Aid.

Igor sounds interesting too as long as we have someone who can develope him.

OMG that is hysterical.... I went and looked at the picture and he does!! Even worse is he really, REALLY wants some of that ice cream....... but it would be rude to just take a bite.....

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
I think that there is one problem with drafting a big time guy for the defense: Other than Dexter Jackson, who really is the veteran leadership on the defense???

From the last three years drafts, we have on the D Line:

*2 1st round picks
*1 2nd round pick that I can think of
*1 3rd round pick that I can think of

I think that really need someone on that line that can help with leadership and has some experience....

I think that we have to some how sign some big time D-line player in free agency, preferably a 2gap DT....

I really serioulsy think that if the only option, that even Warren Sapp would be better than nothing... And given Dennis Green's history of dealing with attitudes, I probably wouldn't be suprised if he went after him, headcase and all....