Gary Jones suggests some immediate changes

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
agree

there are some things that I agree.. As much as I like Coach Mac, I just dont think he has what is needed to be a successful head coach.. things I would like to see happen..

1. bring in a coach with an offensive back ground..I do like Turner or Fassel( dont know his back ground).. also like Coughlin , but I hope that he can work with Graves..

2. with a offensive minded HC, I think that will help Sullivan come along as a good OC.. some other points and hints from the experince of the HC..Keep Cyrpst and Roland and Wr coach.. Get rid of the OL coach.. he has undercoached as much as the OL has underachieved.

3. fire ALL of the defensive coachs and bring in a very aggresive DC, I think there are several asst. out there that can be given an oppurtunity to succeed here.. I think Huntly from Cinn or asst from the Panthers, Ravens. Let the HC/DC bring in their own assts.

4. release Emmit Smith.. money being wasted and Damien Anderson if a very good backup.

5.. FA..I think we can get and sign 2 top FA ( passrushing DT and A good cover Corner) bring in there are several DB and DL out there this offseason.. ( my two favorites are Sapp/McClister)
I also would bring in a mid-tier passing rushing DE to compete and kicker to compete with gramatica.. ( we need some that can kick it to the endzone and make the FG consisitently).

6. Draft : If we have an oppurtunity to get one of the top QB"s in the first round DUE IT.. give him the chance top start and compete with Blake .. I like Blake as a mentor and back-up, but I think he wont like it.. I then let McNown and Pearsons fight it out for the 3rd spot( I really like Pearsons.. wish he had more chances to show it in a real games). IF we cant get a QB, go after the top Wr or DB. they both should be able to compete for the starting job.. also then draft OL,WR,S,LB,DB

I think that this year has proved that this teams mainly sucks because of the piss poor coaching staff that we have.. most of the players that leave hear tend to do better with better coaching.. and our lack lust showing in several games so far this year.. totally unorganize, not focusing and bad game planning. I would like to keep SUllivan ,Crypst, and Wr coach on next years staff, but all the rest of the coachs gone..

With 6 games left, we need to get McNown and Pearson in those game.. I would like to see them each start and finsih three games apiece with Blake sitting and mentoring. I think that Graves has the trust and respect of the Bidwills and is getting this team going in the right direction.. we have talent on this team, I do not doubt that, we just need the coaches that can explot that talent to the fullest extent and bring the team together and kick ass.

ps : thought.... would Vermil consider coming here.. he tends to leave each team after three years? just a thought.

Go Cards

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding FA's the key guys who I think might get to FA you left one off, Al Wilson MLB from the Broncos. he is asking for big money, like Ray Lewis/Urlacher money. They don't have the caproom, he won't get it there. They're hoping he'll come to his senses but most of the Bronco fans seem to think their track record is if they're going to keep a bigname guy, he never gets to the last year of his contract they re-do it, Wilson is already in his last year. He's also an ex teammate of Ray Thompson which could help in trying to sign him. I think we're ok at LB but McKinnon is clearly slipping and I don't think Hayes is going to be as good as Wilson any time soon. If he sticks to his contract demands, pass, if he realizes he's asking for too much he'd be a huge upgrade.

Gotta get a CB, and a guy like Kearse if he's still healthy would be a huge pickup.

I'd still like to see us find out if there's any way to get the rights to Henson, I doubt it I think he's going in the draft, but if they really want a 2nd rounder, why not instead offer a guy like Adrian Wilson with talent but who hasn't gotten it done, maybe Houston is more interested in that? It would ultimately come down to Henson's choice and he'd probably say no but I'd like to at least make the effort so you don't have to use a high pick on a QB.

That would free us up to take Wilfork or Gamble. If you luck into a Vasher that's another CB in round 2. I love Clayton the WR from LSU in this draft he could slide into round 2 if he comes out. This is the draft where stockpiling picks early in the draft makes the most sense so the only way you trade down is if a real bigname guy is sitting there and can we afford to pass on such a guy?

We have a lot of holes we need to be very aggressive in filling them. I think we need to cut our losses with Emmitt too, I'm honestly hoping he chooses to retire.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Regarding FA's the key guys who I think might get to FA you left one off, Al Wilson MLB from the Broncos. he is asking for big money, like Ray Lewis/Urlacher money. They don't have the caproom, he won't get it there. They're hoping he'll come to his senses but most of the Bronco fans seem to think their track record is if they're going to keep a bigname guy, he never gets to the last year of his contract they re-do it, Wilson is already in his last year. He's also an ex teammate of Ray Thompson which could help in trying to sign him. I think we're ok at LB but McKinnon is clearly slipping and I don't think Hayes is going to be as good as Wilson any time soon. If he sticks to his contract demands, pass, if he realizes he's asking for too much he'd be a huge upgrade.

Gotta get a CB, and a guy like Kearse if he's still healthy would be a huge pickup.

I'd still like to see us find out if there's any way to get the rights to Henson, I doubt it I think he's going in the draft, but if they really want a 2nd rounder, why not instead offer a guy like Adrian Wilson with talent but who hasn't gotten it done, maybe Houston is more interested in that? It would ultimately come down to Henson's choice and he'd probably say no but I'd like to at least make the effort so you don't have to use a high pick on a QB.

That would free us up to take Wilfork or Gamble. If you luck into a Vasher that's another CB in round 2. I love Clayton the WR from LSU in this draft he could slide into round 2 if he comes out. This is the draft where stockpiling picks early in the draft makes the most sense so the only way you trade down is if a real bigname guy is sitting there and can we afford to pass on such a guy?

We have a lot of holes we need to be very aggressive in filling them. I think we need to cut our losses with Emmitt too, I'm honestly hoping he chooses to retire.

Let's offer them Clement as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by red desert
Let's offer them Clement as well.

Probably too much of a cap hit for them, and unfortunately us too with his bonus accelerating. I think he'll be here next year too we need the caproom to try and sign several good FA's this year.

I'm all for moving him to guard or benching him the way Snakester said we should.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Good analysis! Agree with most except following...

1) Mac needs to go - I like him a lot but we need an experience hard ass NFL coach.

2) Joe Green must go along with Marmie

3) I believe we should be ok with RB's even if Smith retires - Shipp (starter), Anderson (2nd), Scobey (3rd)

4) Need a punt returner

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by az1965
Good analysis! Agree with most except following...

1) Mac needs to go - I like him a lot but we need an experience hard ass NFL coach.

2) Joe Green must go along with Marmie

3) I believe we should be ok with RB's even if Smith retires - Shipp (starter), Anderson (2nd), Scobey (3rd)

4) Need a punt returner

1. If Mac goes I want us to replace him with somebody good with a lot of experience. Maybe Jim Fassel or Tom Coughlin. If we are going to just go out and hire some coordinator that has never been a headcoach then I would rather stay with Mac.

2 I agree, clear the slate and bring in a new DC and let him hand pick his own staff.

3 I agree also, but if a guy like Cedric Benson falls into our laps we have to take him. He reminds me of Marcel Shipp only quicker with better moves but just as strong. He is my favorite running back in this draft.

4 I really like CB Nathan Vasher from Texas. He is a very good punt returner as well as a top CB.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

I really like Al Wilson to. With so many other needs I just thought we would not go after a linebacker. I was also hoping that we would be grooming Gerald Hayes for that job.

I would love to see Nathan Vasher slip to the second round and us pick him up.

I think Jevon Kearse is one guy that Graves needs to step up to and say heres the money and beat any other offer by two million.

Wilfork and Tubbs are my favorite DTs in this draft. Wilfork is so big and strong I don't see many if any offensive linemen pushing him back. Tubbs to me is the closest thing to another Eric Swann in this draft. He has the size, speed, strength and quickness that I remember Swann having only he has a KVB motor.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with Tubbs has always been health, before this year he was being called a 3rd rounder, a guy who compares very favorably to Mark Smith in that regard although he hasn't had knee surgery just a lot of nagging leg injuries and the like.

Most scouting reports rave about his lower body strength and ability in a 2 gap scheme. The big question has always been can he stay healthy.

I think teammate Rodrique Wright is the better prospect but together they're reminding some people of Hampton and Rogers at Texas. Boy that's a team that's disappointed again though, Mack Brown never seems to have enough talent to overcome his coaching.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Re: agree

Originally posted by jrjbritt
there are some things that I agree.. As much as I like Coach Mac, I just dont think he has what is needed to be a successful head coach.. things I would like to see happen..

1. bring in a coach with an offensive back ground..I do like Turner or Fassel( dont know his back ground).. also like Coughlin , but I hope that he can work with Graves..

2. with a offensive minded HC, I think that will help Sullivan come along as a good OC.. some other points and hints from the experince of the HC..Keep Cyrpst and Roland and Wr coach.. Get rid of the OL coach.. he has undercoached as much as the OL has underachieved.

3. fire ALL of the defensive coachs and bring in a very aggresive DC, I think there are several asst. out there that can be given an oppurtunity to succeed here.. I think Huntly from Cinn or asst from the Panthers, Ravens. Let the HC/DC bring in their own assts.

4. release Emmit Smith.. money being wasted and Damien Anderson if a very good backup.

Two former Cards are leading the league in interceptions and sacks. Corey Chavous and Rice. Two of our biggest problems we face today. We need to stop the bleeding

5.. FA..I think we can get and sign 2 top FA ( passrushing DT and A good cover Corner) bring in there are several DB and DL out there this offseason.. ( my two favorites are Sapp/McClister)
I also would bring in a mid-tier passing rushing DE to compete and kicker to compete with gramatica.. ( we need some that can kick it to the endzone and make the FG consisitently).

6. Draft : If we have an oppurtunity to get one of the top QB"s in the first round DUE IT.. give him the chance top start and compete with Blake .. I like Blake as a mentor and back-up, but I think he wont like it.. I then let McNown and Pearsons fight it out for the 3rd spot( I really like Pearsons.. wish he had more chances to show it in a real games). IF we cant get a QB, go after the top Wr or DB. they both should be able to compete for the starting job.. also then draft OL,WR,S,LB,DB

I think that this year has proved that this teams mainly sucks because of the piss poor coaching staff that we have.. most of the players that leave hear tend to do better with better coaching.. and our lack lust showing in several games so far this year.. totally unorganize, not focusing and bad game planning. I would like to keep SUllivan ,Crypst, and Wr coach on next years staff, but all the rest of the coachs gone..

With 6 games left, we need to get McNown and Pearson in those game.. I would like to see them each start and finsih three games apiece with Blake sitting and mentoring. I think that Graves has the trust and respect of the Bidwills and is getting this team going in the right direction.. we have talent on this team, I do not doubt that, we just need the coaches that can explot that talent to the fullest extent and bring the team together and kick ass.

ps : thought.... would Vermil consider coming here.. he tends to leave each team after three years? just a thought.

Go Cards

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
If coach Mac stays, how much of a choice does he have in keeping or releasing coordinators and position coaches?

I ask because I'm led to believe that his loyalty to his coaches supercedes the need to fire them.