GB's McKenzie Asks for a Trade: DENIED

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McKenzie asked for and was denied a trade out of Green Bay. I'd be okay with making this guy an offer. He's not a world-beater, but he's very solid.

AP NewsBreak: McKenzie sought trade from Green Bay

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
April 10, 2004
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Packers cornerback Mike McKenzie asked for a trade earlier this week, but Green Bay quickly denied the request.

``I can confirm I requested permission to seek a trade and they denied it immediately,'' agent Brian Parker told The Associated Press. He declined to comment about the reasons for the request, which he said he made Wednesday.

Mike Sherman, the Packers' coach and general manager, told The AP that he planned to speak with McKenzie about the matter.

``I don't want to say anything regarding Mike until I talk to him personally,'' Sherman said Saturday. ``He's a valuable member of our football team, someone I care about and someone I can always count on.''

McKenzie has never spoken publicly about a rift with the team or its coaching staff nor has he complained publicly about his contract.

Nobody is saying it, but the root of the rift might be over money.

Parker, Sherman and Andrew Brandt, the Packers' chief negotiator, met briefly during the NFL combine in Indianapolis in February.

McKenzie is entering the third season of a five-year, $17.1 million deal he signed in January 2002 that included a $3.5 million bonus. At the time, the contract was considered undervalued because McKenzie was still a year away from restricted free agency and he opted for the security of a long-term deal.

Parker was not McKenzie's agent at the time he signed the extension, which calls for base salaries of $2.75 million next season, $3.4 million in 2005 and $4 million in 2006 -- a considerable bargain for a shutdown cornerback of McKenzie's stature.

Usually not one to speak with the media, McKenzie took issue with the Packers' defensive scheme in their 20-17 loss to the Eagles in the playoffs. The Packers surrendered a first down on fourth-and-26 late in the fourth quarter that led to a game-tying field goal. After Green Bay lost in overtime, McKenzie questioned why the Packers weren't more aggressive defensively.

Ed Donatell was fired as defensive coordinator after that loss and secondary coach Bob Slowik was promoted to replace him.

McKenzie has been the Packers' starting left cornerback since being drafted in the third round in 1999. Last year, he had four interceptions, his highest total since he had six as a rookie, and 58 tackles. He broke up a team-high 20 passes.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
This is whats wrong with players today. If you sign a contract honor it, don't cry and whine that he is getting paid more than I am crap! He is not even an elite CB IMO. :stupid:

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
This is whats wrong with players today. If you sign a contract honor it, don't cry and whine that he is getting paid more than I am crap! He is not even an elite CB IMO. :stupid:

I wouldn't put all the blame on the players here. The owners are not required to honor the contracts, as evidenced in that they can cut the players without pay if they don't perform.

As long as these contracts are not guaranteed, we will continue to see these tacticts in the NFL.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are 2 seperate issues here.
(1) Yes the NFL Players Union is weak and sold out the players. They play the most dangerous sport with the shortest careers and the only guaranteed money they get is bonuses. That is tough. Get a new union head, change your bargaining position etc. But those are the rules. If players don't like the rules change the rules! McKenzie should run for head of the union.

(2) Once a contract is signed under these rules that is it!. GB was smart enough to sign him do a good deal way back when. He signed! No one put a gun to his head. Once you sign that is it!
Two things are causing this he saw TO get his way (Northcutt is trying a similar thing) and he sees CBs getting a lot of money now. Tough. You can't do crap like this. What happens in 2 years when DEs starting getting a lot of crazy money does Berry demand a trade or a raise etc. Players now see weakness they see they will get their way - WRONG. Make a stand don't give them their way or it will be anarchy.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
(1) Yes the NFL Players Union is weak and sold out the players. They play the most dangerous sport with the shortest careers and the only guaranteed money they get is bonuses. That is tough. Get a new union head, change your bargaining position etc. But those are the rules. If players don't like the rules change the rules! McKenzie should run for head of the union.

(2) Once a contract is signed under these rules that is it!. GB was smart enough to sign him do a good deal way back when. He signed! No one put a gun to his head. Once you sign that is it!
Two things are causing this he saw TO get his way (Northcutt is trying a similar thing) and he sees CBs getting a lot of money now. Tough. You can't do crap like this. What happens in 2 years when DEs starting getting a lot of crazy money does Berry demand a trade or a raise etc. Players now see weakness they see they will get their way - WRONG. Make a stand don't give them their way or it will be anarchy.

I hate to say this but I agree with VF (shrudder) :hulk:

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Tuff stance to take. Don't agree with one but I do agree with two.