Alvin Gentry and the Suns have agreed to part ways

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
Suns Interim coach will come from someone on the staff but not named yet.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
interesting - I never thought Gentry was a good coach going into the suns job ... however, it always seemed like he did a pretty good job here in a not great situation - at this point this could probably be good for him ... let him get out when he can still claim he kept a disfunctional organization consistently fighting for the playoffs

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
We all knew this was coming after the Suns didn't give him an extension.

They set him up to fail and then made him the scapegoat. Which, excuse me, is bullsh*t.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow. Gentry deserves better.

Who does ownership think they're fooling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why? Cause Gentry refuses to play the young guys or because they still think this team should be better? LOL

Such a dumb move, could have just play out the season and go for a new coach instead of wasting money now for a new coach.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really like Gentry, but trying to force the ball inside down the stretch against the Bucks was clearly a mistake. Gortat and Scola have enough trouble finishing if they're wide open at the rim; against the Bucks' shot blockers, they had no chance. As bad as the Suns' outside shooting is, trying to score from the perimeter would have offered better odds.

That said, Gentry was clearly not the problem with this team, and no interim coach is going to make things any better.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Please no Dan Majerle....

The Suns need a real headcoach in the offseason. Handing the job to Dan Majerle is the next disaster.

Why has Blanks not been fired yet? That guy is an obvious *******.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm a little curious if this has something to do with the playing of young players. A few days ago he made some sort of statement saying he would start playing the young players to start looking towards the future, but in the very next game last night his lineups were the same. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like maybe they were telling him to play the young guys and he refused. Again just an assumption.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nothing more than the ownership trying to appear as if they are trying to fix something. They've done that before. Next will be changes at the management level in the off-season. And then back to usual.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little curious if this has something to do with the playing of young players. A few days ago he made some sort of statement saying he would start playing the young players to start looking towards the future, but in the very next game last night his lineups were the same. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like maybe they were telling him to play the young guys and he refused. Again just an assumption.

I wish Gentry well. The Suns FO and ownership is the problem. However, I think it is best for all parties to part ways.

In regard to the above, I think it is more likely Sarver and company were still in the still win now mode more than Gentry. They probably told him so. That's why Gentry did not go deep into his bench.

Stop Whining

Veteran
Reaction score
Bottom line is, Every empy seat Saver is losing money. Gentry wanted to play the youth - Saver didnt. Expect a trade soon following this firing. Saver = mediocre status

asudevil83

Reaction score
Phoenix sports is an utter disaster. Cards, lol....suns loler.

Management fires a coach because they put an absolute JOKE of a team on the floor. pathetic. Blanks and Babby are terrible.

The suns dont need any favors from other teams. i was hoping the Lakers miss the playoffs so we would be fortunate to have 2 lotto picks. i honestly dont care anymore. i'm done with this team.

next stop....trading for rudy gay.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bottom line is, Every empy seat Saver is losing money. Gentry wanted to play the youth - Saver didnt. Expect a trade soon following this firing. Saver = mediocre status

lol actually sounds like it is the other way around and Gentry not wanting to play the young guys.. Gentry was all about trying to win instead of developing young guys.

Cmon they talked about playing young guys, next game Gentry sits Marshall and Johnson again and plays the exact same rotation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was initially thinking the opposite, but this makes a lot more sense. I would much prefer to see some minutes from Marshall and Garret at this point because what do we have to lose?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Part of Suns thinking w/ holding back Hunter as interim coach has been hope of giving him clean slate to take over in offseason, sources say

clearly sounds they are completely committed to tanking and rebuilding now. Lindsey Hunter is pegged as the next head coach.

Another twitter was that the Suns fired Gentry because they felt he was not the right guy to develop the young guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol actually sounds like it is the other way around and Gentry not wanting to play the young guys.. Gentry was all about trying to win instead of developing young guys.

Cmon they talked about playing young guys, next game Gentry sits Marshall and Johnson again and plays the exact same rotation.

Gentry said he had to clear it with the Suns FO about his plan to play younger players. It sounds like the FO did not approve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake