Gentry Fired

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I dont know how youre gleaning that from what I wrote. one more time for clarity:
I am sorry if I misinterpreted your point about Beasley. My reaction was that if the Suns front office wasn't sold on him as a consistent go-to guy on offense (or Brown either, for that matter), they shouldn't have left Gentry holding the bag, having to try one combination after another with no strong candidate on the roster.

hcsilla said:
Beasley is still a very talented and athletic scoring combo forward. He has flaws but I'm not sure that he can blame for everything in such a disfunctional and weak team like the Suns. We all knew that he needs patience and the right circumstances to succeed. I highly doubt that our FO would have thought that Beasley is a sure thing.

He was a gamble. He still is. It still may turn out to be a good one.
If P.J. Tucker could be his designated defender every time the ball heads toward the opponent's basket. :)

That is what kills the possibility of Beasley ever being a good gamble, even if he were to turn his offensive game around.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Doesn't make much sense to fire him now. Season's already done for the Suns, might as well have played it out with Gentry and then moved on at the end of the season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
How far this franchise has fallen. Kinda sad. Gonna get alot worse before it gets better.

Pray that Sarver sells. Thats the only hope.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Should name the interim tomorrow, from what I've read. Sounds like the players are pushing for Majerle.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Should name the interim tomorrow, from what I've read. Sounds like the players are pushing for Majerle.
I hope the inmates don't get to run the asylum.

Dan Majerle was a hustling and exciting basketball player, but he has the mentality of a mischievous child. He is not a figurehead.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the inmates don't get to run the asylum.

Dan Majerle was a hustling and exciting basketball player, but he has the mentality of a mischievous child. He is not a figurehead.

I agree that's what he was, I have no idea what he is now though. It's a different world than it was in my youth or yours, a lot of people (guys especially) don't reach full emotional maturity until far later in life than we were used to. He wouldn't be my first choice but I'll keep an open mind if they go that route.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just so weird how the Suns fired Gentry and not have a replacement in line. The team did not even practice Saturday because the Suns had not selected an interim coach. IMO, doing late season interviews with assistant coaches shows the FO does not have a clue.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I suspect they decided who'd replace him before they pulled the plug, now they're pretending to deliberate so as to appear to be acting in haste.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol Gortat is pushing for Stan Van Gundy on Twitter...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just so weird how the Suns fired Gentry and not have a replacement in line. The team did not even practice Saturday because the Suns had not selected an interim coach. IMO, doing late season interviews with assistant coaches shows the FO does not have a clue.

I agree, its stunning. Even if they do have someone pegged (as errrnknight suggests) it makes them look a lot dumber to have not named then immediately than a appearance of "deliberation" would shine a positive light on them. I think they're just stabbing in the dark. Babby and Blanks are in desperation mode to save their own jobs.

Lol Gortat is pushing for Stan Van Gundy on Twitter...

You must be registered for see images

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Stan being hired for this team would make it very humorous. I honestly do.

I want to see how Beasley reacts to Van Gundy's coaching and all the fights they would have.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree that's what he was, I have no idea what he is now though.
I've noticed that he still has the mentality of a mischievous child. Whenever Alvin Gentry called a 20-second timeout, all players and Assistant Coaches would be attentive to the huddle. Except for Thunder Dan, who was always beyond the outer ring, wandering around, looking into the stands.

My guess is, just as I saw him do years earlier, he was scoping out the chicks, looking to see who was looking at him.

If this were England, he'd be the Prince, not the Prime Minister. Strictly a figurehead.

If the Suns are looking to tank for the rest of the season, Dan would be a perfect choice. And he would fit right in with the dysfunctional Front Office.

But the chaos would make our Suns a further laughingstock throughout the league. Is it worth it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I believe that there wasn't a practice scheduled for Saturday with or without Gentry. A few guys showed up to work out, but that's it. They never intended to practice. For some reason, we're in the middle of a 5 day break between games. We last played Thursday and don't play again until Wednesday.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I hope we resign Telfair. First time in ages we've had a capable backup.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that there wasn't a practice scheduled for Saturday with or without Gentry. A few guys showed up to work out, but that's it. They never intended to practice. For some reason, we're in the middle of a 5 day break between games. We last played Thursday and don't play again until Wednesday.

There was a practice originally planned for Saturday but no one could figure out who was the interim coach so a formalized practice did not take place. As you said, Suns players showed up anyway. As we all know now, Lindsey Hunter is now the interim coach.

The Suns originally planned to practice Saturday but spent the day figuring out who would run their next practice.

See article from Paul Coro dated 1-19-13 at azcentral.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulcoro/2013/01/19/suns-still-weighing-interim-coach-options/

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't try with reason Robin Lopez was the devil last season now it is Beasley while everyone else almost gets a free pass.

Where have you been? Nobody made Robin Lopez to be the devil last season?!?!! People complained about a TON of players on this roster, the coaching, FO etc. People just recognized Lopez sucked here.

In terms of this season, people are hammering Beasley AND many players on this team, coaching and again the FO.

You make it sound like those are the only two players on the radar this past two seasons. Sounds more like to me you are super defensive about 2 of your boys.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake