Gentry: "...it won't be because of a lack of effort..."

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Gentry on the postgame said they still believe they can make the playoffs and will come out and play the last 18 games with as much intensity as they possibly can. Said this is a hard loss, but this team still believes...

Is that just what a coach is supposed to say or does he and this team truly think that?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentry on the postgame said they still believe they can make the playoffs and will come out and play the last 18 games with as much intensity as they possibly can. Said this is a hard loss, but this team still believes...

Is that just what a coach is supposed to say or does he and this team truly think that?

I think a coach has to say it even if it is not true... at least until the Suns are eliminated. However, the Suns have shown no signs of recovering from their nosedive. I think the players and coach see the writing on the wall but it is still their job to give a full effort no matter what they may think.

stuntburn

Reaction score
well duh no coach is gonna come out and say

the rest of the 18 game we are gonna tank, its over.

thank you

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i was at the game tonight. it was because of lack of effort.

I was as well. The lack of effort and defensive stupidity are very apparent. It's not just that we don't play defense well, we don't even try to play defense well (except Barnes, Hill, Barbs, and maybe a few others). Shaq only cares about the offensive end of the floor and doesn't work hard to rebound or play D. It's quite depressing to watch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is three fold at least. (defensively) The PG gets way too much penetration. Nash can't stop anyone. No one on the Suns knows how to help defend. If anyone gets past Parker, Tim Duncan is always there for help defense. We have no one like that one the Suns. Shaq is horrible on P&R's. Players drive right past him. He should retreat back giving the defender a 15' jump shot, but he allows them to get right to the rim instead. Fourth, 3/5ths of the Suns are so busy trying to run that no one will try to grab an defensive rebound.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is three fold at least. (defensively) The PG gets way too much penetration. Nash can't stop anyone. No one on the Suns knows how to help defend. If anyone gets past Parker, Tim Duncan is always there for help defense. We have no one like that one the Suns. Shaq is horrible on P&R's. Players drive right past him. He should retreat back giving the defender a 15' jump shot, but he allows them to get right to the rim instead. Fourth, 3/5ths of the Suns are so busy trying to run that no one will try to grab an defensive rebound.

You hit the jackpot. Everyone is thinking "I got to run down as soon as we get the ball back", while "how to get the ball back" is not even in their mind! :bang:

Also, the running ASSISTENT coach Gentry has absolutely no idea how to organize team defence. It is pathetic watching Nash & Shaq defending Brooks & Yao high pick & roll alone without any switch! FOR GOD'S SAKE, it was an inbound ball after time out and way outside of the arc! Why the hell asking Shaq to go to there? Yao can't shoot 3!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hit the jackpot. Everyone is thinking "I got to run down as soon as we get the ball back", while "how to get the ball back" is not even in their mind! :bang:

Also, the running ASSISTENT coach Gentry has absolutely no idea how to organize team defence. It is pathetic watching Nash & Shaq defending Brooks & Yao high pick & roll alone without any switch! FOR GOD'S SAKE, it was an inbound ball after time out and way outside of the arc! Why the hell asking Shaq to go to there? Yao can't shoot 3!

Yao has range to 20' or more. He can shoot out there, he just doesn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05