Georgia On My Mind

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Ah---there are few more exciting Sundays in sports than Sunday at The Masters. Ah---nothing more aesthetically vivid than Ray's Creek, the fairways lined with Georgia pines and magnolias abloom, and the white, pink and purple azalea beds tucked meticulously behind the undulating greens in Amen Corner.

Yes---there are few more exciting Sundays than the one each year at Augusta.

Yet, this morning as much as I am looking forward to seeing another chapter unfold in Master's history (perhaps the first Aussie ever to win a Masters? Or Tiger shrugging off what amounted to a four shot swing when his approach to the par 5 15th hit the flagstick on Friday afternoon and caromed backwards into Ray's Creek, which led to his 2 shot drop penalty and a snowman---8---on the hole---to win his 5th green jacket?)...

Yet, I awoke this morning with other exciting Sundays on my mind and thoughts about a cadre of Georgia collegians who I am hoping that in a matter of two weeks will be clad in Cardinal red and holding the Cardinal red pens that Steve Keim will give them.

OLB Jarvis Jones, 6-3, 240, Georgia. I never in my wildest dreams thought the Cardinals would have a shot at taking Jones, let alone at #7 in the draft. That's the one thing about draft scrutiny that can work in a team's favor---some will cite his spinal stenosis as a reasons, others will cite the disappointing 4.9 40 he ran at his Pro Day, and other will question his length---but, when you watch him play, he is a high adrenaline player who is flat-out tenacious on the edge---a quick-twitch athlete who consistently blow up plays in the backfield, this past season to the tune of 85 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks and countless QB pressures, all the while playing in the best NCAA football conference in the country. He had the luxury of playing his ideal NFL position at UGA, at 34-WOLB and that is where we Cardinals have needed a game changer ever since we switched to the 34.

ILB Alec Ogletree, 6-3, 235, Georgia. Character issues are likely going to cause one of the most physically gifted LBers in this draft to slide. The question for the Cardinals is could he slide to #38? When you watch Ogletree play, what you see is an ILB who runs like a safety and yet steps up in key situations to stuff RBs in their tracks, like the time he stuffed Eddie Lacy of Alabama on the three inch line during a key gaol-line stand. But, what makes him such a valuable prospect in this day and age is his ability to cover and mirror TEs and RBs in the flats, over the middle or up the seams. If he and Daryl Washington would start drinking what Larry Fitzgerald is drinking, we could have the most dynamic inside LB combination in the NFL. Plus, both of them are the rare type of three down LBers. The Cardinals are going to need a good three down LB for the first four games---adding Ogletree would be something special, particularly playing along-side of fellow Bulldog Jarvis Jones.

NT John Jenkins, 6-4, 359. Call him Stone Mountain. This guy owns the middle of an offensive line and not only that he makes tackles---this past year he had 50 of them, which is practically unheard of from a NT. If you are a RB, you do not, I repeat, you do not, want to meet John Jenkins in the 2 or 3 holes. It takes a Casey Hampton-esque NT like this to make the 34 to work by allowing the ILBers to take unimpeded paths to the ball.

SS Shaun Williams, 6-0, 211, Georgia. Talk about an Adrian Wilson---type SS. He attacks the line of scrimmage with reckless abandon and delivers big-time hits. Like Wilson, at times, he gets a little carried away with the stick and forgets to wrap. That can be worked on. He's better than you would think in coverage---had 4 interceptions as a junior, but went more for big hits than interceptions as senior. That too can be worked on. The point is, he is quite a physcial presence on the football field, and his prospects as a 2 down SS and STs ace are very high.

FS Bacarri Rambo, 6-1, 215, Georgia. Has the instincts and ball skills to be a strong factor in coverage. Not quite as physical as he could be and needs to be...although he improved his tackles totals from 55 to 73 this past season and he forced three fumbles---so it's starting to come. His pass coverage numbers went down this past year from 8 PBUs and 8 ints as a junior to only 2 PBUs and 3 ints as a senior, but that's partly due to teams electing to throw away from his direction.

SS J.J. Wilcox, 6-0, 214, Georgia Southern. Was a RB/Slot WR his first three years and switched over to SS his senior year. Showed impressive instincts for the position and an ability to deliver good, hard, wrap-up tackles (88 in total). Showed he could play with the best of them at the Senior Bowl. But what intrigues me most about Wilcox is his versatility. I think he can be a three down safety in the NFL. He can play up in the box and he can defend deep. In addition, with a creative HC like BA, Wilcox's numbers as a slot WR were eye-popping:

2010 22/551/25.0/3 tds.
2011 7/168/24.0/1 td.

Rushing numbers (where he was used primarily):

2010 85/484/5.7/6 tds
2011 52/480/9.2/7 tds.

This type of versatility makes him very intriguing---plus he would be a very good STs player. If he is there in the 5th round, I would be very happy if the Cardinals took him. The Cardinals have shown some interest in him.

Tavarris King, WR, 6-0, 192, Georgia. I can't believe he isn't getting more attention in this draft. The main reason is he has a little trouble getting off of press coverage---so what BA would do is send him in motion and that solves that. One of the very best deep threats in this draft, not only for his ability to run past the coverage, but for his ability to track the ball and make the deep catch. Needs to get stronger and that can be taken of in our system. In the meantime, he could be what Donnie Avery was in BA's offense with the Colts last year, only King is more consistent catching the ball.

2011 47/705/15.0/8 tds.
2012 42/950/22.6/9 tds.

Cornelius Washington, OLB, 6-4, 264, Georgia. Battled injuries and off the field issues...and when you watch him on tape he is physically jolting. Classic bull rusher from the left side, long arms, powerful top to bottom---would be a 34-LOLB, nickel DE in our system. Boom or bust type who would be worth the gamble in middle rounds. Could be one of the biggest steals of the draft. Just remember, James Harrison wasn't even drafted.

Rod Sweeting, CB, 6-0, 184, Georgia Tech. This is one of the more intriguing CBs in the draft. When he arrives at the ball, he delivers strong hard hits with reliable wrap-ups. Ran a 4.42 at the Combine to allay the concerns that he isn't fast enough. Needs to get stronger and fill out. Plays super smart and with good leverage.

Sanders Cummings, CB/S, 6-0, 223, Georgia. A physical CB who had 154 career tackles, 17 pass breakups and 8 interceptions. Had some struggles in one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl which will likely cause him to slide into the middle rounds. However, because of his strength, he brings value as a press corner and nickel Cb who can jam slot WRs and mirror TEs.

Omoregie Uzzi, G, 6-3, 300, Georgia Tech. Ever heard of this guy? Made to order for the zone blocking scheme. Was All-ACC First team the past two seasons, helping GT be the 4th best rushing offense in the country last year. Not only does he thrive in the running game, he's a very solid, dependable pass protector. It's under the radar guards like Uzzi who wind up making someone's team and earning starter's jobs. Check this scouting report out:

http://georgiatechpros.com/2013/03/18/omoregie-uzzi-scouting-report-part-1/

Edmund Kugbila, G, 6-4, 317, Valdosta (GA) St. I wasn't able to see much tape of him---so let me give you PFW's take on him: "A naturally big man with long arms and unique movement skill for his size. Kugbila helped to establish the ground game for the Division II national champions and has the size, physicality and demeanor to eventually earn a starting job. Has excellent reach and extension is pass pro. Plays nasty in the run game. Operated in a spread offense that minimized protection time."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/edmund-kugbila?id=2540253

And now I must make my way down Magnolia Drive---and with me are these thoughts of Cardinals yet to be.

Magnolia...you sweet thing...you're driving me mad...go to get back to you babe...you're the best I ever had...""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPEhwNfY8M

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
I hope you are writing to sports rags etc. You are great with your words and your knowledge.

Thanks from everyone for giving us things to ponder,fight over and learn.
GBR

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good write up.

Jarvis Jones- I think (or should I say 'He Is') the top defender in this draft. Is he Von Miller 2.0? Maybe. Doubt it, but hes pretty darn close. Id love to take JJ. Hed be the first elite pass rusher weve had since..ever. A young Bertrand Berry I guess. At the same time, id much prefer Oline talent. But, as long as we go BPA, then im not worried. What I am worried about is his stock falling so much that he falls to the 49ers or Rams or Seahawks. Thatd be just great. Loaded teams who add a monster who we in 3 years will be lamenting 'Why didnt we take Jarvis?"

Ogletree - Back near the beginning of the college season, I was already saying how this guy was the best MLB in the draft. His athleticism is DWash like. Unfortunately, his off the field choices are also DWash like.

Cornelious Washington - We will never get this guy because hes getting nabbed in the 4th round by someone. Freak doesnt begin to describe him. But for all his freakishness, he was invisible at Georgia. Whereas Jarvis Jones is comparably bland, JJ dominated the SEC for 2 years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The masters can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. About as racist and sexist as it gets in American sports didn't admit an African American till 1990 are you serious and women just barely got in. I could go on but I won't.

Anyways yeah that Georgia team was stacked this year if they had gotten by Alabama no doubt they would have destroyed notre dame aswell. Jarvis jones is the only pass rusher I would take ahead of Warmack. Look at the game tape!!! As Tracy Morgan says( for all those that listen to the jay mohr podcast)

If we go o-line in round 1 I'd be fine with ogletree in round 2 if he falls that far he's an OLB if I'm not mistaken he's great in coverage because he used to play safety at Georgia

With of the safeties I'd scoop up in round 3 if they were available

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget that Rambo missed 4 games in 2012. He was in Afghanistan rescuing US POW's.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Saw a bit of Williams on a 'Game Changers' I DVR'd. I'd be good with him or TJ McDonald.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write-up, Mitch. :thumbup:

(Side note for the Master's/football: When the Rams were in Anaheim their practice facility backed up on a municipal golf course. You could set up lawn chairs on the edge of the golf course and watch the team practice. And a little kid named Tiger playing golf with his dad. The word always went through, "Here he comes" and we'd all turn around and watch him never dreaming he'd be Tiger. )

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great write-up, Mitch. :thumbup:

(Side note for the Master's/football: When the Rams were in Anaheim their practice facility backed up on a municipal golf course. You could set up lawn chairs on the edge of the golf course and watch the team practice. And a little kid named Tiger playing golf with his dad. The word always went through, "Here he comes" and we'd all turn around and watch him never dreaming he'd be Tiger. )

Great story, Dems!