Get Firefox!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I know awhile ago I pimped Avant Browser as a great alternative to IE, but now I've discovered Firefox and it rocks.

So much faster than Avant, which was faster than IE. It will import all your favorites, passwords, etc, from IE.

Plus it has the tabview style of browsing, and there are TONS of extensions you can download to add on to the program.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Mike

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
If firefox could do activeX I would use it exclusively. But seeing as that will never happen I am sticking with IE. :shrug:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
If firefox could do activeX I would use it exclusively. But seeing as that will never happen I am sticking with IE. :shrug:

Where is an example of active X on the web so I can see it not working?

So far, no site I've been to has had any problems...

Mike

bratwurst

Reaction score
Does your company use Microsoft Exchange 2000 or 2003? If so, go to your webmail page with Internet Explorer, and then with Firefox.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Does your company use Microsoft Exchange 2000 or 2003? If so, go to your webmail page with Internet Explorer, and then with Firefox.

I would say I have more a problem with Microsoft than Firefox, because they have to design their CRAP to work only with IE and nothing else...

Every smart web designer out there makes sites compatible with all browsers...not Microsoft though.

It still works, I can still read mail, just no Unread folders, or dynamic folder browsing, etc.

Mike

bratwurst

Reaction score
Its just smart business to design their stuff to work better with IE. Does IE have problems? Of course. But I don't fault MS designers to not build their products to work with other applications as well as with their own.

Web designers want their product to be viewable by the largest possible audience.

Microsoft benefits by pushing their audience to use all microsoft products.

Its apples and oranges.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Load what? On startup?

Mike

yup. I have all the browsers on my pc for developemnt. When I go to test a site Ill open IE, Opera and Firefox. IE and opera are up in less than 5 seconds. With Firefox I take my bathroom break...

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
yup. I have all the browsers on my pc for developemnt. When I go to test a site Ill open IE, Opera and Firefox. IE and opera are up in less than 5 seconds. With Firefox I take my bathroom break...

That's pretty far-fetched...I just opened both of them and it took the same amount of time.

Browsing the web, the sites come up faster in Firefox than IE...not sure what you're looking at.

Mike

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
That's pretty far-fetched...I just opened both of them and it took the same amount of time.

Browsing the web, the sites come up faster in Firefox than IE...not sure what you're looking at.

Mike

Your right, guess I'm lying.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Your right, guess I'm lying.... :rolleyes:

Well, you have to see why I have a hard time believing you...everyone who has used it says it's a lot faster than IE...and then I tried it and it was.

So what are you doing that makes it take so long to come up? Is it loading some page with Active X on it or something?

I'm curious, that's all...

Mike

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok did a quick test I have a development server with windows 2003 and a worksatation with xp in my office. Have all 3 browsers on both. I dropped opera in the test cause...well I hate it lol

The times are the number of seconds it takes from the initail click of the icon in my Quick Launch to the time the default website is displayed in the browser. I did 3 of each

IE 3, 2, 2
Firefox 8, 7, 8

Its only logical since IE is built to run smoothly in windows. :shrug:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Is it loading some page with Active X on it or something?

I'm curious, that's all...

Mike

The default webpage I used in my test was www.macromedia.com. Does have flash. If that is what slowed it down that would not be good. More and more sites are becoming flash.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Roughly the same times for both just doing it real quick once each when the default site is yahoo.

What I find hard to believe is this.

Say my machines 2 here and 6 at the workshop are unique and have something fundementally wrong with them. The best firefix could do is be as fast as IE not faster. IE comes up in a blink of an eye. Unless those that say its faster never blink the naked eye couldnt tell could it? ;)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike what is the complete offer step for the free ipod? Id sign up for you but what is it you need to do to "complete offer"?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Roughly the same times for both just doing it real quick once each when the default site is yahoo.

What I find hard to believe is this.

Say my machines 2 here and 6 at the workshop are unique and have something fundementally wrong with them. The best firefix could do is be as fast as IE not faster. IE comes up in a blink of an eye. Unless those that say its faster never blink the naked eye couldnt tell could it? ;)

Well, maybe the initial LAUNCH of the program takes longer, I dunno.

But just browsing the web, from here, to ESPN, to CNN, etc., seems to me that pages fly up faster in FF than IE. Tell me how that looks to you.

I also installed the Flash plugin for Firefox, and the page seemed to load fine.

The other thing about it is that it doesn't suffer the security risks that IE does...

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Mike what is the complete offer step for the free ipod? Id sign up for you but what is it you need to do to "complete offer"?

I actually haven't done one myself...they have various things...like a membership to Columbia House DVD club, stuff like that.

You basically have to find one that works for you.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have an Online Blockbuster video rental offer, which I'm going to do...it's like Netflix...

Mike