OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
I'm on the FireFox bandwagon,love the extensions and themes and Thunderbird is a great email program.

What's Thunderbird like?

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mozilla Mulls Desktop Search Features for Firefox Browser

Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Having launched the much-awaited version 1.0 of the Firefox browser on Tuesday, the Mozilla Foundation is busy planning future enhancements to the open-source product, including the possibility of integrating it with a variety of desktop search tools.

The foundation also wants to place Firefox in PCs through original equipment manufacturer (OEM) deals with PC hardware vendors and to continue to sharpen the product's pop-up ad-blocking technology.

These and other enhancements, such as graphics display improvements, will help Firefox to continue building the already considerable momentum it has generated so it can capture between 10 and 12 percent of the Web browser market by some point next year, said Chris Hofmann, the Mozilla Foundation's engineering director. "We believe there's room for a lot of growth for Firefox's market share and there's a number of things we need to do to continue on this growth curve," Hofmann said.

For the past several years, Microsoft's Internet Explorer had held around 95 percent of the browser market, but this year it has been slowly but consistently losing ground, while Firefox has emerged as a fast-growing product, according to WebSideStory, a San Diego Web metrics company. At the end of October, IE had a 92.9 percent market share, while Firefox had secured a 3 percent share through its preview versions, according to WebSideStory.

Third-Party Tools

Regarding integration with desktop search tools, the idea would be to offer Firefox users a choice of third-party tools for searching information stored on their PCs, Hofmann said. "We see a lot of growth with the integration of searching Web sites and searching your desktop...so we'll be looking at ways to try and integrate that search within the browser, to make more seamless how users go searching for information, whether on the Internet or their computer," Hofmann said.

Desktop search is one of the hottest areas in the search market currently, as users look for tools that let them find information on their PCs with the same ease and speed of Internet search engines. Thus, multiple high-profile vendors either provide or plan to provide tools for conducting desktop searches.

For example, Google recently introduced one such tool, while America Online and Yahoo have separately acknowledged they are developing their own wares. Microsoft for years has bundled hard-disk searching functionality with its Windows operating system, but the technology has been considered generally clunky, and Microsoft is expected to offer an enhanced alternative in the near future. In the meantime, vendors such as X1 Technologies, Copernic Technologies, and Blinkx already offer desktop search tools.

"There are a variety of companies that are working on that technology, and we may just try and identify a way for Firefox to plug into a variety of desktop search engines and enable users to pick and choose," Hofmann said.

Pop-Up Blocker

The Mozilla Foundation will also continue to boost Firefox's pop-up ad blocker, a key feature to make users' browsing experiences better, he said. These types of disruptive ads are generally considered a nuisance by browser users. "We want to stay ahead of the curve of Web sites that like to inject pop-ups, so we'll continue to improve our pop-up blocker" in future Firefox upgrades, he said.

Clearly, signing OEM deals with PC makers to bundle Firefox with their machines would be important in accelerating the distribution and adoption of the browser, and the Mozilla Foundation is working on getting such deals done, Hofmann said, although he declined to comment further on which PC vendors might be involved.

Beyond Firefox, the foundation will continue to work on other Internet software, such as its Thunderbird e-mail client, which is in preview version 0.9 right now; version 1.0 should ship later this month, Hofmann said. Calendar software is also in the works.

The Mozilla Foundation, based in Mountain View, California, is a nonprofit organization founded in July 2003 to support the Mozilla open-source software project, launched by Netscape Communications in 1998. Firefox 1.0 is a free download, or you can get it in CD format with a manual for $14.95.

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Mozilla Mulls Desktop Search Features for Firefox Browser

Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Third-Party Tools

Regarding integration with desktop search tools, the idea would be to offer Firefox users a choice of third-party tools for searching information stored on their PCs, Hofmann said. "We see a lot of growth with the integration of searching Web sites and searching your desktop...so we'll be looking at ways to try and integrate that search within the browser, to make more seamless how users go searching for information, whether on the Internet or their computer," Hofmann said.

Desktop search is one of the hottest areas in the search market currently, as users look for tools that let them find information on their PCs with the same ease and speed of Internet search engines. Thus, multiple high-profile vendors either provide or plan to provide tools for conducting desktop searches.

For example, Google recently introduced one such tool, while America Online and Yahoo have separately acknowledged they are developing their own wares. Microsoft for years has bundled hard-disk searching functionality with its Windows operating system, but the technology has been considered generally clunky, and Microsoft is expected to offer an enhanced alternative in the near future. In the meantime, vendors such as X1 Technologies, Copernic Technologies, and Blinkx already offer desktop search tools.

"There are a variety of companies that are working on that technology, and we may just try and identify a way for Firefox to plug into a variety of desktop search engines and enable users to pick and choose," Hofmann said.

There is a great extension called Firefox Toolbar where you can do up to 15 different searches like google,gmail,amazon,ebay,dictionary.com and many more.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
plus the extension for bug me not..rocks for all of you who actually go to the bug me not website it is much easier with the firefox extension to just right click bug me not and voila username and password.

Firefox kicks the crap outta IE.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I haven't updated from .9 to the new 1.0 yet. A friend did but said most of the extension aren't available or something. Anyone know? I think I might wait to dl and install until some are available.

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
kps0001 said:
I haven't updated from .9 to the new 1.0 yet. A friend did but said most of the extension aren't available or something. Anyone know? I think I might wait to dl and install until some are available.

What I did is try to update as many of my extentions and themes before I downloaded 1.0, I heard that it is harder to update when you have download 1.0

Here is a link that has many extensions compatible to 1.0

Extension Mirror

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo, has anyone having any problems with Firefox and wish they reverted back to IE?

I am skeptical about changing.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
Sooo, has anyone having any problems with Firefox and wish they reverted back to IE?

I am skeptical about changing.
I have noticed an issue when I use it at work and have spoken to some others who have experienced the same thing. If you access the internet via a proxy, Firefox seems to slow down compared to IE. Other than that, it seems great to me

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I just downloaded Firefox onto my laptop and so far I am happy with it.. Seems much faster than IE

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i finally downloaded this because of that stupid ad crap that was going on in my IE.

This is MUCH better and no more spam everytime I click a link!

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
thanks!

i feel so liberated :D

Here is a link to some great themes to brighten up your browser

Themes

I like iCandy Junior and Playground

Save the download to your desktop then click on Tools and then Themes Drag and Drop the file to the Theme window and it will tell you what to do

Any thing else you need to know PM me and I'll help out

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:
Here is a link to some great themes to brighten up your browser

Themes

I like iCandy Junior and Playground

Save the download to your desktop then click on Tools and then Themes Drag and Drop the file to the Theme window and it will tell you what to do

Any thing else you need to know PM me and I'll help out

do they have like.. custom themes... maybe an x-files or hanson one lol.. then i'd be down!!

but thanks i'll check these out :)

BigRedVol

All Star
Reaction score
I had finally heard enough blah blah about this stupid Firefox...

So, I had to d/l it for myself.....

Geez, its freekin' FAST :D

Thanks yall :thumbup:

Now, would someone kindly tell me how I can remove I.E. since it's not in my add/remove program list. I searched all my uninstall folders, found one for I.E., tried it that way, but it didn't work, can someone help with that :mad:

Last edited:

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BigRedTitan said:
Now, would someone kindly tell me how I can remove I.E. since it's not in my add/remove program list. I searched all my uninstall folders, found one for I.E., tried it that way, but it didn't work, can someone help with that :mad:

No can do,there are still web sites that only use IE so download this extention to view links in IE

View in IE

Then save the file to your desktop and then click on Tools at the top of the browser and click on extensions. Drag and drop the file into the extension window and follow the intructions.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
By changing some of the preferences around you can actually make firefox a little quicker too. This program rocks.

Let me know if you want the little changes and I will post them back up.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Can you guys help me with a Firefox problem?

I am fairly new to Firefox, but I do like it. I am having a problem, though. It seems as if there is no "Save Target As" option when I right-click a link to a file. If I open the same page in IE, I get that option.

I didn't think "Save Target As" was only in IE. Is that right? Do I need to download an extension or something into Firefox?

:confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05