Getting Your Money's Worth

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team salaries do not match up with results very well.

Top 2003-04 NBA Team Salaries, by InsideHoops.com (Dec. 3):
1) New York Knicks - $89.1 million
2) Portland Trail Blazers - $82.2
3) Dallas Mavericks - $79.2
4) Minnesota Timberwolves - $71.0
5) Sacramento Kings - $68.7
6) Phoenix Suns - $66.4
7) Atlanta Hawks - $65.4
8 ) New Jersey Nets - $63.9
9) Los Angeles Lakers - $63.4
10) Toronto Raptors - $59.5
11) Indiana Pacers - $58.6
12) Boston Celtics - $58.5
13) Memphis Grizzlies - $58.0
14) Philadelphia 76ers - $57.8
15) Chicago Bulls - $54.9
16) Detroit Pistons - $54.3
17) Seattle Sonics - $52.4
18 ) Milwaukee Bucks - $52.0
19) Golden State Warriors - $51.0
20) Houston Rockets - $50.2
21) New Orleans Hornets - $47.8
22) Miami Heat - $47.3
23) San Antonio Spurs - $46.8
24) Cleveland Cavaliers - $46.5
25) Orlando Magic - $45.9
26) Washington Wizards - $44.8
27) Denver Nuggets - $35.2
28 ) Los Angeles Clippers - $33.7
29) Utah Jazz - $30.7

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
wow crazy...

I thought the Suns were the only team going to pay the lux tax this year? guess not...

sunsfn

Reaction score
It is easy to understand why Gregg Popovich is regarded as an excellent G.M. and coach, who just received an extension!

----------------------------------------

:)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sunsfn
It is easy to understand why Gregg Popovich is regarded as an excellent G.M. and coach, who just received an extension!

----------------------------------------

:)

Well, it would be easy to make mistakes as the GM of any team, but his job is much simpler than most NBA GM's. He has Tim Duncan. Many people believe Kevin Garnett is the best player in the NBA. However, despite his somewhat boring personality and play I think the best player is Tim Duncan. I think he could make most of the GM's in the NBA look very, very good.

Joe Mama

creed

Veteran
Reaction score

They hardly ever do when you have injured players on the roster...

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by creed

They hardly ever do when you have injured players on the roster...

The Knicks and Hawks problems go well beyond injuries, but luck does play a big role. Teams that re-sign their young players to long term contracts BEFORE they become all stars look very good.

If anything, I think the results suggest that the days of teams trying to build through major free agency signings is coming to an end.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien

If anything, I think the results suggest that the days of teams trying to build through major free agency signings is coming to an end.

I would agree with you, but I think they are trying to change that in the next CBA.

If they are able to kill guaranteed contracts to a 5 and 4 year plan (5 for your own player, 4 for someone elses) that will help a lot. (It is currently 7 and 6)

First off, teams may be more likely to hand out contracts on less than star quality players. Similar to when the last CBA was signed, people threw long max contracts at everyone. When GMs realized what they had done, they stopped offering big deals even to some players who might have deserved it. However, when the max you can offer a player is 4 years, a lot of teams will probably be willing to shell out the cash, knowing they aren't screwed for the long term if it doesn't work out.

Of course, this won't have a noticeable effect for a couple years, because the league would still have to weed out contracts from teh last CBA. I think there are still at least 10 players who are still under the rules before the last CBA (Garnett and Shaq for example).

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
I would agree with you, but I think they are trying to change that in the next CBA.

If they are able to kill guaranteed contracts to a 5 and 4 year plan (5 for your own player, 4 for someone elses) that will help a lot. (It is currently 7 and 6)

First off, teams may be more likely to hand out contracts on less than star quality players. Similar to when the last CBA was signed, people threw long max contracts at everyone. When GMs realized what they had done, they stopped offering big deals even to some players who might have deserved it. However, when the max you can offer a player is 4 years, a lot of teams will probably be willing to shell out the cash, knowing they aren't screwed for the long term if it doesn't work out.

Of course, this won't have a noticeable effect for a couple years, because the league would still have to weed out contracts from teh last CBA. I think there are still at least 10 players who are still under the rules before the last CBA (Garnett and Shaq for example).

Garnett's new contract is for a lot less money than his old one. He may have decided to take less money in order to lock in the longer guarentee.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
The contract is for a lot less money, but he is still under pre CBA rules.

He was eligible for a contract almost twice as much as he got, the only other player in the league that will have near that possibility is Shaq.