Ginobili is brilliant

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, Ginobli really is brilliant with the ball. Nobody, not even Kobe, scares me more with the ball because Ginobli is such a high percentage guy. He takes good shots and he's absolutely deadly in the two-man game.

But he had a flop tonight that was All-Time worthy. Nash didn't even touch him. Ginobli pushed off on another player (and it wasn't even a screen) and flopped to the floor to get the call. I don't understand how refs haven't learned to swallow their whistles when Ginobli crashes, but I'll be danged if it doesn't get the call 75 percent of the time.

At this point, I just have to salute the guy for coming up with new ways to make plays.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ginobili is such a spaz that he makes all of his shots look more difficult than they are. I think that if you were to replace him with Bryant, the Spurs would be improved. But I agree that he's the most dangerous player on the Spurs roster.

Durrutix

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has bothered to tally up the number of times per game that Ginobli and Parker end up on their asses.

They have it down to a fine art. Just drive kamikaze style into the center of the action, throw up a shot then flop to the ground. Near-automatic whistle. I would have great respect for both players if they didn't resort to these shenanigans, but as it is I find them contemptible. Thing is, it works. So apart from the potential injuries they might inflict on other players, you can't really blame them their reliance on play-acting.

The only surprising thing is that flopping hasn't become an even greater epidemic than it already is. If the league rewards flopping then flopping will continue.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has bothered to tally up the number of times per game that Ginobli and Parker end up on their asses.

They have it down to a fine art. Just drive kamikaze style into the center of the action, throw up a shot then flop to the ground. Near-automatic whistle. I would have great respect for both players if they didn't resort to these shenanigans, but as it is I find them contemptible. Thing is, it works. So apart from the potential injuries they might inflict on other players, you can't really blame them their reliance on play-acting.

The only surprising thing is that flopping hasn't become an even greater epidemic than it already is. If the league rewards flopping then flopping will continue.

Let's not get carried away here. Steve Nash falls down a lot as well. Of course, he doesn't get the whistle as nearly as often. I thought that last night there were only a few of suspicious calls/non-calls... benefiting both teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh? Kobe is a better percentage guy than Ginobili and better at making difficult shots.

Yeah, he probably is but it would be interesting to see which player led his team to a higher scoring percentage when handling the ball, which I think might have been Matt's point. Kobe is great at handling the ball and getting a off a good shot. Manu is almost as good bat that but he also does a good job at creating a play for his teammates.

Regardless, Manu does things out there that are unbelievable. If you could get him to stop the theatrics he'd be a pretty likable player for the other things he does so well. I reserve the right to hate him though because he is a Spur and he does engineer more bad ref calls than any player in the history of the game.

Steve

chickenhead

Reaction score
If he didn't flop he'd be one of my favorite players to watch. The perfect antidote to a lot of the eastern conference basketball I see. But the flopping just kills it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he didn't flop he'd be one of my favorite players to watch. The perfect antidote to a lot of the eastern conference basketball I see. But the flopping just kills it.

He has that European two step that no other person (save LeBron James) gets away with. It might be legal, (a lot of times it is not) but he is the only one that I see get away with it regularly.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ginobili is incredibly inconsistent.

One game he plays like an allstar, the next game he will play like a NBDL bench warmer.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This is like one of those discussions about Hitler. Sure he was a genius in many ways but talking about it just leaves you feeling dirty.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Let's not get carried away here. Steve Nash falls down a lot as well. Of course, he doesn't get the whistle as nearly as often. I thought that last night there were only a few of suspicious calls/non-calls... benefiting both teams.

Steve falls down on the defensive end trying to draw a charge. Big difference.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
He has that European two step that no other person (save LeBron James) gets away with. It might be legal, (a lot of times it is not) but he is the only one that I see get away with it regularly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfP4IWkRI6o
It's always...2 steps.

That LeBron move yesterday was 2 steps and then a power hop. A travel? Oh yeah it was.

And about charges. I hate Derek Fisher's charge moves more than anyone but I will say that Manu has perfected the "Matrix dodging bullets" move and that he makes sure the McDavid padding is used to full effect.

Last edited:

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Eh? Kobe is a better percentage guy than Ginobili and better at making difficult shots.
http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM

True but the difference lies in overall game. Ginobili will look first to pass, look again, and then shoot. For Bryant, it's the other way around.

Using regular season stats, Ginobili is 5th in Clutch Assists behind other still in the playoffs guys like Nash, Deron Williams, LeBron James, & Rajon Rondo.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
left foot, right foot....that's your 2 steps. The hop is the travel. Not legal.

About Kobe:
Okay, enough of that. Let’s talk about Kobe Bryant. Not a single sportswriter thought Kobe was the MVP this year (and yes, I agree again!!). However, the voting for the MVP award suggests Kobe was the 3rd best player in the NBA in 2009-10. The word “best” (or “most valuable”) is not really defined. But if we defined “best” in terms of Wins Produced we would see – as reported in Table One — that Kobe was only the 32nd “best” player in the NBA this past season.

Table One: The Candidates for MVP in 2010

In fact…

Kobe was only the third most productive player on the Lakers (behind Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom).
Kobe was only the fourth most productive shooting guard (behind Dwyane Wade, Manu Ginobili, and Joe Johnson).
If we turn to WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes], Kobe falls behind Wade, Ginobili, Brandon Roy, and Jason Richardson at the shooting guard position (minimum 2,000 minutes played).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfP4IWkRI6o
It's always...2 steps.

That LeBron move yesterday was 2 steps and then a power hop. A travel? Oh yeah it was.

And about charges. I hate Derek Fisher's charge moves more than anyone but I will say that Manu has perfected the "Matrix dodging bullets" move and that he makes sure the McDavid padding is used to full effect.

It's always 2 steps? Give me a break. Put down those rose colored glasses for a second.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it was not.

One step, hop step -> perfectly legal.

Please don't make me agree with a Spurs fan. That was the most blatant non travel call I have seen in years. One step and a hop step is a travel. 2 steps and a hop step is a travesty. That's what LeBron did.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure either but just went and looked it up and the above move is legal.

If a player jumps off one foot on the count of one he may land with both feet simultaneously for count two. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either return to the floor.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

But yes, two steps and a hop is illegal.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Please don't make me agree with a Spurs fan. That was the most blatant non travel call I have seen in years. One step and a hop step is a travel. 2 steps and a hop step is a travesty. That's what LeBron did.

One step and a hop step is NOT a travel. They clarified or altered the rules before the season.

Lebron's move is clearly legal.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
left foot, right foot....that's your 2 steps. The hop is the travel. Not legal.

About Kobe:

Makes me wonder how many of you actually play the game of basketball.. that was not a travel.

you get two steps AFTER you stop dibbling/ last dribble.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how many of you actually play the game of basketball.. that was not a travel.

you get two steps AFTER you stop dibbling/ last dribble.

I do play basketball and after the two steps you have to shoot the ball. You can't come down with it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One step and a hop step is NOT a travel. They clarified or altered the rules before the season.

Lebron's move is clearly legal.

I agree. Perfectly legal. They talked about this last season and clarified the rules before the season started. Your second step after the dribble can also be a hop on 2 feet provided both feet land at the same time. It's perfectly legal.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Perfectly legal. They talked about this last season and clarified the rules before the season started. Your second step after the dribble can also be a hop on 2 feet provided both feet land at the same time. It's perfectly legal.

What he said.. 1 step and then the second one can count as a hop as long as both feet land together.. You're pretty much bound to shoot or pass immediately after that because of the momentum you bring down with you would be kind of hard to reposition yourself.. You also cannot move your feet or else its a travel.