Giving Up Offensive Rebounds

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns rank near the bottom of the NBA in rebound differential in that they are out rebounded by 2.8 rpg. The curious part is that the Suns grab more defensive rebounds than their opponents by 1.5 rpg; but their opponents grab 16.1 offensive rpg to only 11.8 rpg by the Suns. :(

As one writer put it, part of the reason opponents get more offensive rebounds is that they shoot only 43% from the field, compared to 48% by the Suns. Fewer misses means fewer offensive rebounds.

None the less, this is something the Suns need to work on.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, I was watching the Utah/Suns game, the suns were up by about 15 late in the 4th and I find myself screeming at the TV for them to get the rebound when Utah was getting 2nd and 3rd chances consistantly on the offensive end. :D

CDogg

Reaction score
We are a fast break team so when a shot is missed not everyone is crashing the boards because they want to start the fast break. So if we have everyone crashing the boards we have less fast break chances wich is what fuels this team and it has worked so far. I think you stick with what has gotten us to this record, I think the suns fast break and scoring in spurts is more important then the offensive rebounding edge in a game. Just my opinion though.;)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It realy comes down to Amare he doesn't do a good job of boxing out. The only way we get rebounds is with Amare, Marion and Q's athleticism. If they worked on boxing out there would be alot more rebounds.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There have been some cases where, after a shot goes up, our defenders start sprinting down the court before they even see if the ball is going in or not. Many times, the ball has gone right back to the person who shot it, yet the guy defending that person is halfway down the other end of the court. I've seen Shawn & Amare both make that mistake a number of times and it's lead to easy baskets for the other team. Get the rebound, THEN run. Sometimes our trailers on the break are more potent than our guys leading the break.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hard part has been close in rebounds where the other team's big guys are planted in the paint playing volleyball. They know that if Amare gets in the mix, he's more likely to get called for a foul than get the rebound.

I'm sure if Amare was better at boxing out, it would be different, but not when there are two or more guys crashing the boards.

Part of the reason having Hunter in helps is that he may not get the rebound, but he is likely to tip it to a teammate who does. The risk of a block or a tipped rebound triggering a fast break cuts down on teams crashing the boards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05