GM Blanks out

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bout damn time, Hunter needs to go next!!! Then we need a new Owner....and we can concentrate on the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The surprise is that it happened although I had hoped beyond hope that it would happen.

A huge step forward by Lon Babby and Robert Sarver. Blanks needed to be replaced before the draft, trades and free agency. This gives the Suns some hope. The Suns need to hire a GM who has a keen eye for talent and say in who should be the HC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So appropriate Phrazbit. Now I just want to hear the music play on and on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mark Stein has been tweeting that we seriously pursued Mike Brown when Gentry was fired and apparently again this month, but he's more interested in Cleveland.

First, LOL.

Second, thank God he isn't interested.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
The Suns fired general manager Lance Blacks on Monday.
Blanks had one year left on his contract. He's also been the biggest advocate of interim coach Lindsey Hunter, who could be in serious trouble himself now. A source told CBS Sports' Ken Berger a decision on Hunter won't be made this week and the coaching search will likely open up once a new GM is hired. The Suns finished the season with the worst record in the Western Conference and have a serious dearth of top-level talent after Steve Nash left for the Lakers last summer.
Source: Paul Coro on Twitter
Apr 22 - 5:22 PM

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, now I know the possibility is extremely unlikely, but could they pitch to Phil Jackson?

First, it's Arizona--he's a western guy and it's close to where Jeannie is from.
Second, it's Phoenix--a rival to the Lakers, who I'm sure he wouldn't mind screwing over.
Third, if he's GM, Sarver/Babby can pitch him on him having complete control, INCLUDING hiring his own head coach if he wanted.
Fourth, he wouldn't necessarily have to answer to Babby--Phil would say who he wanted, and Babby would be the one trying to go out and get him.

Pipe Dream maybe, but it does make a certain amount of sense. The big thing though is that Phil had huge success taking over teams that already had huge stars on them--not sure he'd be interested in a team he would have to build from scratch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might Stan Van Gundy have interest in coaching the Suns? He reportedly did not have interest in previous HC openings such as GS. I guess a lot will depend on who the Suns hire as GM if the Suns are capable of luring some interesting candidates.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ok, now I know the possibility is extremely unlikely, but could they pitch to Phil Jackson?

First, it's Arizona--he's a western guy and it's close to where Jeannie is from.
Second, it's Phoenix--a rival to the Lakers, who I'm sure he wouldn't mind screwing over.
Third, if he's GM, Sarver/Babby can pitch him on him having complete control, INCLUDING hiring his own head coach if he wanted.
Fourth, he wouldn't necessarily have to answer to Babby--Phil would say who he wanted, and Babby would be the one trying to go out and get him.

Pipe Dream maybe, but it does make a certain amount of sense. The big thing though is that Phil had huge success taking over teams that already had huge stars on them--not sure he'd be interested in a team he would have to build from scratch.

We don't really have any evidence that Phil would make a good GM. Sure he knows a lot about hoops, but his best skill is picking his spots. He knows when to agree to Coach a team thats close to having it all together. In coaching, he's never shown an interest in building a team. Would he want to do that as a GM? Perhaps not.

We also know nothing about his skills as a talent evaluator, does he watch much college hoops? Did he have much influence over the picks that LA and Chicago made? Were those good picks? Its tough to be good when you're picking 30th every year of course.

While Phil would bring a lot of sizzle, I'd personally much rather hire Daryl Moorey or Sam Presti's right hand men, whomever they are. I want a guy with Front Office experience, and particularly experience with a forward thinking front office. Bonus points that both Houston and OKC are not the biggest markets and are not traditional powers, but Moorey and Presti have done well there.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Brown and Blanks worked together in Cleveland, I'd think our "interest" was probably originating from Blanks, with him gone I'd think (hope) our interest is too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would even take Steve Kerr back. He had an eye for talent, but was a terrible negotiator.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bout damn time, Hunter needs to go next!!! Then we need a new Owner....and we can concentrate on the draft.

I think Sarver could be OK as an owner, if he would just hire the right people and then get out of the way.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Brown and Blanks worked together in Cleveland, I'd think our "interest" was probably originating from Blanks, with him gone I'd think (hope) our interest is too.

I hope they don't bring it Brown. Ugh...Hell NO

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

I heard Jude LaCava on the radio a bit ago and he doesn't think Jackson would take the position, but he did mention Jerry Sloan and Scott Layden as names who might be interested. I don't know if it's realistic, but if Jerry Sloan came on board, I'd have to think that would be a major move away from the complete cluster that this organization has become.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cleveland has been trying to hire Jackson as coach. I would at least give him a call. Cant hurt.

Not sure about Sloan. Is there some sort of talent guru in the OKC organization that we could steal?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Mike Brown said thanks but no thanks to team Sarver/Babby, that's about all you need to know regarding how people feel about the Suns organization right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like the subject for this thread. Now if only many of the rest of us could "Blank out" regarding this season also.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Jude LaCava on the radio a bit ago and he doesn't think Jackson would take the position, but he did mention Jerry Sloan and Scott Layden as names who might be interested. I don't know if it's realistic, but if Jerry Sloan came on board, I'd have to think that would be a major move away from the complete cluster that this organization has become.

Wow I would be really happy, Sloan is the guy I want. Always maximizes his players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I disagree with this move but maybe I am the only one that would have loved to seen the "agent" go first.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I would be really happy, Sloan is the guy I want. Always maximizes his players.

Do you see Sloan as a GM or HC? He is 71 not that I think age should be a primary factor. I just haven't heard much from him for awhile. There were rumors he resigned because he had conflicts with players although denied.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake