Gonzo Returns - Dbacks/Dodgers series thread

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar Gonzalez takes on Brad Penny in the first game of this short series.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonzo vs Gonzo!

Penny pitching back in Arizona.

BEAT LA

BEAT LA

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gonzo is having a pretty nice start to the season, I thought he was done

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gonzo deserves a standing ovation his first time up but after that, he is the enemy.:)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonzo deserves a standing ovation his first time up but after that, he is the enemy.:)

How many damn standing O's are we gonna give this guy? Im sorry, I dont believe he was the face of the DBacks all them years.. I believe Randy Johnson was.. Maybe thats why Im a lil salty towards RJ for going to the yankers the way he did..

Anyways.. Gonzo had like a week dedicated to him last year at the end.. But Im sure he'll get another.. I just never saw him as the face of the DBacks..

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many damn standing O's are we gonna give this guy? Im sorry, I dont believe he was the face of the DBacks all them years.. I believe Randy Johnson was.. Maybe thats why Im a lil salty towards RJ for going to the yankers the way he did..

Anyways.. Gonzo had like a week dedicated to him last year at the end.. But Im sure he'll get another.. I just never saw him as the face of the DBacks..

I'd say Gonzo was the everyday fan favorite. Randy only played every 5 games or so, so I never saw him as "the face of the franchise" or anything. Plus, Randy and Curt shared the spotlight when they were both here.

I hope we win, but I hope Gonzo does well at the same time. He's still got game.

HooverDam

Reaction score
If the ball is hit to Gonzo at any time, I want the Dbacks running on him. His arm is shot and they know it.

I agree about RJ being the face of the Dbacks, I never thought of Gonzo as such. Randy was also my favorite Diamondback to watch, and though he wasnt as lovable or in the community as much, he was the franchise to me.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I would be all for booing Gonzo if he chose to bolt the Dbacks or spurned the organization in ANY way, but thats simply not the case. I know everyone hates the Dodgers, but Gonzo's options were pretty limited, and I think anyone in his shoes would've done what he did, he gets to stay somewhat near his family, and keep hitting against pitching he's familiar against. Gonzo has done nothing negative to the Dbacks and has said nothing but nice things, so I say no reason to boo.

There will only be 16K at the game anyway, so no need to worry about it getting vary loud one way or the other.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ken Kendrick should be booed for inferring that Gonzo may have done steroids, rather than let him leave with honor, because the D'backs were going to a youth movement.

It was a cheap shot and very unnecessary.

I'm glad to see that Gonzo is hitting well, and I wish him the best.

Three people brought Arizona its first major sports championship and, among RJ, Schilling and Gonzo, Luis was the most popular.

Even Ken Kendricks can't change that.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I would be all for booing Gonzo if he chose to bolt the Dbacks or spurned the organization in ANY way, but thats simply not the case. I know everyone hates the Dodgers, but Gonzo's options were pretty limited, and I think anyone in his shoes would've done what he did, he gets to stay somewhat near his family, and keep hitting against pitching he's familiar against. Gonzo has done nothing negative to the Dbacks and has said nothing but nice things, so I say no reason to boo.

There will only be 16K at the game anyway, so no need to worry about it getting vary loud one way or the other.

Well, my guess is the team would have offered Gonzo a smaller contract dollars wise and the option to be the fourth outfielder but there was no way he would take that. So they let this happen. It was in the best interests of everyone involved, so I don't see how anyone did anything wrong.

Ken Kendrick should be booed for inferring that Gonzo may have done steroids, rather than let him leave with honor, because the D'backs were going to a youth movement.

It was a cheap shot and very unnecessary.

I'm glad to see that Gonzo is hitting well, and I wish him the best.

Three people brought Arizona its first major sports championship and, among RJ, Schilling and Gonzo, Luis was the most popular.

Even Ken Kendricks can't change that.

Seriously? All Kendrick said was that people thought Gonzo may have used, but he didn't imply that he did. The thought that Gonzo may have used wasn't brand new, Kendrick didn't come up with it. He just mentioned it in his defense of the guy. Did he need to say it? Probably not. But was it a cheap shot accusing the guy of using? No. The fact of the matter is Luis Gonzalez got butt-hurt over every little thing that wasn't positive for himself.

He drops a fly ball in San Francisco, Randy Johnson confronts him about it, Gonzo goes off.

The Kendrick thing. Way overblown. Nobody said he used steroids, all Kendrick said was that people have said Gonzalez used steroids. No news there.

Carlos Quentin gets one start (I repeat, ONE start) against the Dodgers, and Gonzo has a tirade about how he doesn't appreciate sitting for a game against a division rival. Nevermind the fact that Quentin homered in the game.

I know there are others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to bash the guy, really, I'm not. But the love for him and the "Gonzo could do no wrong" attitude is ridiculous. Was he a good player for the Dbacks? Yes. Was he the face of the franchise? Sure. But he was a mediocre player at best his last couple years here and was at the point where he was hurting the team every time they ran him out there to LF.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post, Green Machine!

Cheer Gonzo when introduced, then treat him like any other Trolley-Dodger.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post, Green Machine!

Cheer Gonzo when introduced, then treat him like any other Trolley-Dodger.

:stupid:

A nice standing O during his first at bat is warranted. Once he is in the batter's box, he's the enemy.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's Scott Hairston's status? He took a fastball on the wrist yesterday

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
:stupid:

A nice standing O during his first at bat is warranted. Once he is in the batter's box, he's the enemy.
I agree. I'm curious to see how the fans will react. It seems like most agree that giving him a standing O when introduced is proper, but after that, he's a Dodger and should be treated as such, but I will never forget what Gonzo did for our team and franchise.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Here we go... First game I've had a chance to see the start of and see the entire game and what a good one to be able to see the entire one of.

Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA! :deadhorse:

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
The Dodgers new away jerseys suck. I don't like them at all. They look too plain. Gives me one more reason to absolutely hate them :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05