OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who held? I don't see it.

Right tackle #76, he has one arm essentially on Haggan's shoulder. From the other angle you can see at one point the arm is up on Haggan's neck.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, there was 59+ minutes of football played that could have made a difference in this game. It was a blatant hold and I saw it live in a bar without the sound. Don't know who was shouting don't hold but it should have been seen and called. No TD and back them up. They had timeouts left didn't they? They may get one more shot and who is to say VY doesn't throw a 20 yard TD pass, but that was a missed penalty.

It's worse than that, it wouldn't have backed them up, it would have ended the game. Remember a penalty on the offense at that point in the game results in a countoff of seconds, the play started with 6 seconds left so the game was over. Remember the Rams game a few years ago where Leonard Davis false started and the countoff ended the game?

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
Again, there was 59+ minutes of football played that could have made a difference in this game. It was a blatant hold and I saw it live in a bar without the sound. Don't know who was shouting don't hold but it should have been seen and called. No TD and back them up. They had timeouts left didn't they? They may get one more shot and who is to say VY doesn't throw a 20 yard TD pass, but that was a missed penalty.

Thay had no TOleft. they took their last b4 that play

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You would make a good referee...

LOL 5/5.

Wow.....that is a pretty blatant hold, and it is a hold that allows Vince Young to make that play.

I am not one to play "blame the refs" but it is hard to swallow when our final drive, in which we ended up at 4th & 1 was stalled by a holding call, and a pretty ticky tack one at that.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
this should be getting more national pub. HOW THE HELL DOES THE REF NOT THROW THE FLAG. I DONT GET IT. AT ALL.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this should be getting more national pub. HOW THE HELL DOES THE REF NOT THROW THE FLAG. I DONT GET IT. AT ALL.

I'm betting if they discuss it on NFL Network this week the ref guy will say "if you knew how often during a game a ref says something like that but doesn't call the penalty you would understand."

In other words, yes it's a blatant hold, yes the ref clearly saw it since he yelled about it twice, but he was warning the player so he wouldn't hold again even though it was 4th down and the last play of the game.

Oh well, good teams overcome adversity and go kick butt in the next game.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm betting if they discuss it on NFL Network this week the ref guy will say "if you knew how often during a game a ref says something like that but doesn't call the penalty you would understand."

In other words, yes it's a blatant hold, yes the ref clearly saw it since he yelled about it twice, but he was warning the player so he wouldn't hold again even though it was 4th down and the last play of the game.

Oh well, good teams overcome adversity and go kick butt in the next game.

I showed it to some guys in the office, they seem to think it couldn't have been a ref yelling that.

Nah, never, was probably a coach they thought.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I showed it to some guys in the office, they seem to think it couldn't have been a ref yelling that.

Nah, never, was probably a coach they thought.

Hard to say but you could hear that voice the whole game and it seemed to me it was a ref based on what he was saying, that is he wasn't saying call timeout or good job or stuff like that, he was saying stuff you'd think a ref would say.

Tim

Reaction score
It was very likely the head ref. This happens all the time. He used the microphone before the play to announce the timeout and likely still had it on.

I can't think of any scenario where a coach's audio would get picked up on the television feed.

Ref's do yell things like, "don't hold" frequently, but in that situation when it was that blatant, you have to pull the trigger. It's not like it was off the play too. If Haggans wasn't held, it is very clear he would've hit the QB before the release.

I hope this team is pissed off this week and comes to play because a loss this week combined with a likely SF win against Seattle would put the division lead on the line in the Monday night game against SF.