Goon Talk from Dime Smack (Can't say I disagree)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Amare Stoudemire is a beast. He saved the Suns' season Monday night with two excellent plays in the final minute of Game 4.

First he went up and met Tim Duncan at the rim to cleanly deny him a dunk.
Then on the offensive end, he managed to outrace Manu Ginobili to a loose rebound and get it to Steve Nash to ice the game.

Do you know what the Suns desperately need? A Karl Malone-type player. Someone who will put Manu Ginobili on the ground when he comes spinning into the lane.

When the Suns watch the tape of Monday night's game, they'll be sick to their stomachs watching Manu just go wherever he pleases in the paint — most times, right to the rim.

Phoenix needs a physical force, someone with that Malone-type attitude, to make Ginobili think twice before coasting to the hoop.

Even in the final minutes of the game, Manu was able to cut through the lane with the ball and kick it out to open shooters.

The Suns may have kept their season alive with their win Monday night, but this series has shown they can't win a championship without that piece.

Interesting. I kinda hate this since I don't want Nash fouled hard in retaliation, but the Spurs guards are penetrating the lane at will. :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Interesting. I kinda hate this since I don't want Nash fouled hard in retaliation, but the Spurs guards are penetrating the lane at will. :(

I can't say I've appreciated the officiating in this series, but I think the referees have to draw the line somewhere. I don't think they are going to let Nash get fouled hard being he is the league's MVP. However, I agree the Spurs penetration must be stopped either by packing the middle or bringing in some role players (like voshkuhl or Outlaw) to take some clean fouls when Ginobili and Parker are driving the lane freely. I know Nash is being bumped constantly.

I think perhaps the Suns may be starting to get a little respect from the referees when they allowed Amare's block on Duncan and when Amare sent Ginobili flying (when he was trying to tie him up from behind on a rebound). I thought sure the referees were going to buy into his flopping. However, in this case I don't think he was flopping, just caught fouling. :)

I think Amare sent a message on this play.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I worry Amare is going to lose it sometime and clock somebody. Marion has also been jumping up real fast when he's been fouled, and had to be restrained. I just don't want our guys getting tossed. :(

scotsman13

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I worry Amare is going to lose it sometime and clock somebody. Marion has also been jumping up real fast when he's been fouled, and had to be restrained. I just don't want our guys getting tossed. :(

personally i hope that he does. during the reg. season. because once amare lays into someone and i do mean really lays into them people are going to back off from him. heck moses will have nothing over him as he drivves down the lane. the other team will part like the red sea.

PHX2

Fashion Police
Reaction score
I was actually saying the same thing to myself at the beginning of game four when Tony Parker was getting to the basket without breaking a sweat...

All you have to do especially with Tony...not so much with Manu cuz he's use to throwing his body around like a rag doll...he likes contact and tries his best to find some...so its not really going to work with Manu but with Tony all you have to do is knock him hard on his butt like once or twice and he'll shy away from the basket scared of being hit hard...thats what Seattle did after Tony did what he wanted against them in the first two games...and it worked...and the times when he actually wanted to get to the rim he was so scared that somebody was gonna hit him or block his shot he missed the shot all by his lonesome...intimidation works wonders against Tony...I love him and all but hey thats what works...I'm not saying to go "Danny Fortson" on him but just let him know that he's not going to be able to skip down the lane like usual

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
personally i hope that he does. during the reg. season. because once amare lays into someone and i do mean really lays into them people are going to back off from him. heck moses will have nothing over him as he drivves down the lane. the other team will part like the red sea.
I disagree,Once people know they can push Amare over the top, they will try to do it all the time. He handles it perfectly IMO....

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare CANNOT be the Sun's enforcer. He is simply too valuable and if teams know they can get him to retaliate, they will send thugs in just to try to get both guys thrown out.

No, the enforcer has to be a guy the other team knows the Suns can afford to lose. Not a stupid foul a minute guy like Fortson, but someone who can throw his weight around and make opponents think twice about attacking.

Realistically, the Suns have not had anyone like that since dumping Jahidi White. Bo has the temperment, but is only 220. Jake is simply not strong enough or quick enough to be more than a foul velcro for ticky tacks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jim Jackson, Q, McCarty, Hunter. Those are the guys who should be the "enforcers" in this series.--especially Jackson and McCarty.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Realistically, the Suns have not had anyone like that since dumping Jahidi White.

Aside from being big and strong, White really has no qualifications. You might as well hire one of those guys from the World's Strongest Man competitions. To be a viable "enforcer," you also have to quick enough to get to the play and not a complete waste of space on offense. Remember, it might be a few minutes -- several possessions -- before you get a chance to deal out your punishment, and the game still goes on in the meantime.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I think Amare has a Shaq attitude, which is great. Shaq has always had 3 guys on his back on every dunk, is always hacked hard and never loses his cool. You’re right, the star player can’t lose his cool. Every great team has had that enforcer. The Lakers of recent years had Rick Fox who provided a lot of hard fouls. The Bulls had Oakley. Although I can’t think of many enforcer types in the game lately – at least who are still playing in the playoffs right now. I’m sure the Pistons have that guy. Just not sure who it is. Maybe it’s their whole team rather than one player. I don’t think the Spurs or Heat have that player. Bowen is a great defender but not an enforcer. I haven’t watched enough to know if Zo is that guy for the Heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake