Gortat Traded to Wizards

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you are reading wikipedia wrong. It correctly shows on the table that there is a 25% chance for the first pick, 21.5% 2nd, 17.8% 3rd, 35.7% 4th. That adds up to 75%.

Only 3 teams can move up in the lottery so the worst pick that the bottom team can get through the lotter is 4th. If there is a 25% of getting the top pick it has to be a combined chance of 75% of ending up in the next three picks.

Yeah, I was reading it wrong. I was adding up each team's chance of getting the one seed instead. Great reading skills.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we could absolutely trade Dragic and I'd be real surprised if his name hasnt already been kicked around. Dragic has real value, I dont think we'd just throw him away but any player that was here prior to McD taking over should have a couple bags packed just in case. I felt that way months ago and the Dudley, Scola, Gortat moves have confirmed it. McD did NOT like the roster he took over and has quickly blown it to pieces. I dont know how he feels about Dragic but seeing as his very first move was to bring in a guy who plays the same position... I certainly dont feel he is married to Goran.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think we could absolutely trade Dragic and I'd be real surprised if his name hasnt already been kicked around. Dragic has real value, I dont think we'd just throw him away but any player that was here prior to McD taking over should have a couple bags packed just in case. I felt that way months ago and the Dudley, Scola, Gortat moves have confirmed it. McD did NOT like the roster he took over and has quickly blown it to pieces. I dont know how he feels about Dragic but seeing as his very first move was to bring in a guy who plays the same position... I certainly dont feel he is married to Goran.

Yep. I like Goran, and he's an asset, but if we can use him as a piece in a larger trade, or find someone younger, I doubt he's untouchable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you got that number from but Wiki has the following odds for the team with the worst record (1st through 4th pick odds):

.250 .215 .178 .357

But it's really quite simple. A team with the worst record has 25% chance of drafting 1st, so they have 75% chance of not drafting 1st, and the only other picks they can get are 2, 3 or 4. They get the 4th pick in the even that none of their combinations come up when the first three picks are drawn.

My little brain was smoking trying to make sense of the logic but yeah, if you look at it in reverse (the way you just phrased it), it makes sense. Thanks.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know his words regarding if a player gets traded or not means absolutely nothing right?

Do you want me to post the 500 quotes where he said things like "Gortat is solid player and someone who we see as part of the Suns future. We will not trade him" "We have no interest in trading Gortat at all and we hope he will be apart of this team for a long time" etc.

Of course for the right price, any player is available unless your name is Kevin Durant or LeBron James.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the coin toss would be much preferable in this case (50% chance at first overall pick) than the present lottery system which gives only 25% chance at the top pick to the team with the worst record.

As it stands, a team could go 0-82 and still be three times more likely to draft 2-4 than to get the top pick.

We already did the 50/50 thing and it didn't work out so well for us. :p

It just happened to be at the other end of our history.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would like to see a quote where he said, "We will not trade him." Sure they all say stuff like, "he's important to the team", "We're not interested in trading him at this time", ect. But, I will be shocked if you can provide a direct quote from McD saying they WILL NOT trade Gortat.

There's maybe a handful of guys that will not be traded by their team. I don't believe McD would or did put Gortat in that group.
No but he said he's "certainly not looking to move Marcin".

Bottom line though is that GMs will rarely admit that they are looking to move a player because it diminishes the player's value greatly if other teams know that. Even if McDonough is constantly calling teams about trying to trade Dragic, if asked today if he's moving Goran he will probably say "No, Goran and Eric are part of the future we aren't looking to trade Dragic" or something to that effect.

Errntknght

Reaction score
McD didn't say anything about Gortat that made me think he viewed him as a building block - and Gortat wasn't saying enything about wanting to stay with the Suns long term. IIRC, he didn't seriously try to negotiate with the team - and with the way that things were going before McD was hired its not hard to see why. I did worry that Gortat would change his mind about wanting to stay but it sounds like he was fine with leaving.

As far who on the team McD and Hornacek see being on the team long term, I don't think they know and probably don't worry too much about it now. One part of the culture change that we haven't talked about much is the playoffs vs. the regular season. Since McD comes from Boston I'm fairly sure that he'll want to see how players perform in the playoffs before he starts thinking about whether he wants them around for the long haul. I sure the devil hope that is is his mindset. I've complained for years that the Suns didn't focus properly on playoffs - from Colangelo thru D'Antoni and whats-his-name...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure where you got that number from but Wiki has the following odds for the team with the worst record (1st through 4th pick odds):

.250 .215 .178 .357

Also some conclusions:

A team with the worst record has a .465 chance of drafting first or second and a .643 chance of drafting 1-3.

In a three player draft, thats pretty big.

chickenhead

Reaction score
So Dragic has two more years at $7.5m per, followed by a player option at the same amount. If Bledsoe develops, is there a chance Goran is moved prior to the deadline for an expiring veteran who can hold down that spot for the duration of the tank? Or is Goran too valuable for that?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also some conclusions:

A team with the worst record has a .465 chance of drafting first or second and a .643 chance of drafting 1-3.

That's why this draft is unique in that there will likely be multiple players with superstar potential available. The odds of getting Wiggins or any other specific player may be low for any given team, but the odds of getting one of them are pretty good for the few teams with the worst records. But these kinds of drafts are extremely rare. Any other year and the team with the worst record would most likely not end up with a franchise player as a reward.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Also some conclusions:

I think it's possible for the Suns to have the worst record and get the 4th pick, correct? If so, I 100% expect that to happen considering their luck.

This is why I'm partially against taking so hard and banking on getting the #1 pick. It's such a crapshoot. I'd rather see the Suns improve as the season progresses and win some games that they probably shouldn't. This gives the young guys some confidence and experience going forward.

That said, they're still going to be terrible and will most likely get a top 5 pick. That's almost a given. I'm just hoping that they're not the worst team in the league by more than a handful of games and still fall out of the top 3.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Kendall Marshall was part of the Marcin Gortat trade, I thought I would throw in this tidbit here. It seems the Grizzlies are looking for guards.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8h

Delaware's Kendall Marshall - 31 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds in D-League debut - on way to Memphis for guard workout too, sources tell Y!

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't particularly like the kid's attitude when he was here but I'm glad to hear he's getting a shot. I'm sure he's been humbled quite a bit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't particularly like the kid's attitude when he was here but I'm glad to hear he's getting a shot. I'm sure he's been humbled quite a bit.

The combination of having little athleticism, no consistent shooting, and a huge ego, didn't bode well for early success.

If this kid is going to have a career in this league he is going to have to be very humble and work his backside off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake