Graves and Green Draft News conference notes

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I was there early, just in time to see a bunch of the cheerleader wannabees disperse to their cars. Oh lord, these young women are just stunning!

2. Denny and Rod were 35 minutes late and I had to leave for a long-ago-scheduled doctor's appointment, so I missed the entire thing.

3. I've been listening to Mike Jurecki and Bob Kemp most of the day. This is distilled from them:

Denny Green thinks Larry Fitzgerald is the best player in the draft.
Regardless of who goes first and second, the Cards will probably stay put at #3 because they think there are three players in this draft who are in a class by themselves.

The opinion among reporters is that those three are: Larry Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, and Kellen Winslow. It is apparent to me, from the numbers of reporters saying the same thing, that the Cards front office has let this leak intentionally. I had heard a similar thing from a reliable source several weeks back that included Mike Williams with that group of three. But that was before Williams' poor workout in Tampa.

Denny Green again did not rule out taking a QB but said clearly that the QB this year would be Josh McCown regardless. KDUS' Bob Kemp (who is a sharp guy) said Denny has convinced him we won't even take a QB on the first day.
Denny Green also said they have a very good player targeted at #33 and expects immediate help from both the #3 and #33 picks.

Rod Graves expects few or no trades until draft day but lots of trades depending on who that #1 pick is.​

There is more and I'll add to it as I remember or hear more. If you are listening too, please contribute to this thread.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We scored an impact player in the second round last year, lets do it again!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
1. I was there early, just in time to see a bunch of the cheerleader wannabees disperse to their cars. Oh lord, these young women are just stunning!
Where's nidan and his camera when you need him! ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

2. Denny and Rod were 35 minutes late and I had to leave for a long-ago-scheduled doctor's appointment, so I missed the entire thing.

3. I've been listening to Mike Jurecki and Bob Kemp most of the day. This is distilled from them:

Regardless of who goes first and second, the Cards will probably stay put at #3 because they think there are three players in this draft who are in a class by themselves.

The opinion among reporters is that those three are: Larry Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, and Kellen Winslow. It is apparent to me, from the numbers of reporters saying the same thing, that the Cards front office has let this leak intentionally. I had heard a similar thing from a reliable source several weeks back that included Mike Williams with that group of three. But that was before Williams' poor workout in Tampa.

Denny Green again did not rule out taking a QB but said clearly that the QB this year would be Josh McCown regardless. KDUS' Bob Kemp (who is a sharp guy) said Denny has convinced him we won't even take a QB on the first day.
Denny Green also said they have a very good player targeted at #33 and expects immediate help from both the #3 and #33 picks.

Rod Graves expects few or no trades until draft day but lots of trades depending on who that #1 pick is.​

There is more and I'll add to it as I remember or hear more. If you are listening too, please contribute to this thread.

Great info, thanks Skkorp..... This draft is so exciting. To have the ability to choose between a Fitzgerald/Gamble/Dansby type player, who will contribute immediately, or to think about trading with Cleveland for Northcutt, the seven, (Winslow/Williams/Wilfork) and two quality second rounders. Such options!!!

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another snippet from Denny Green. He says he thinks Josh McCown will develop in future years into one of the best QBS in football and right now, no QB coming out of college could beat him out this year and probably not next year either.

Also, we will NOT trade up, and likely not trade down. We will stay put.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Another snippet from Denny Green. He says he thinks Josh McCown will develop in future years into one of the best QBS in football and right now, no QB coming out of college could beat him out this year and probably not next year either.

Would anyone here consider Winslow, Taylor, or Wilfork a reach at 3? I would. Either get Fitz at 3, or trade down, and get one of these three at 7.

Diggity

Registered
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

The opinion among reporters is that those three are: Larry Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, and Kellen Winslow. .​

I'm going to go out on a limb by saying that one of these three will be available when we pick. :doofus:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

If Denny is sold so am I.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Did Denny do a history search on my old posts? I mean, I've been saying that for while...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent update. If Fitzgerald is gone IMO they will take Winslow. I don't think they would trade down to #7 as all three could be gone (Fitz, Winslow & Taylor). Pehaps they would trade down with the Giants to let them pick Gallery and then we could take Winslow (if Fitz is gone).

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
az jam said:
Excellent update. If Fitzgerald is gone IMO they will take Winslow. I don't think they would trade down to #7 as all three could be gone (Fitz, Winslow & Taylor). Pehaps they would trade down with the Giants to let them pick Gallery and then we could take Winslow (if Fitz is gone).

I hope we go Taylor instead of Winslow. We need all the talent we could get for this defense.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
az jam said:

If we draft Winslow expects a long and ugly holdout from Winslow and the Potsons brothers.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Would anyone here consider Winslow, Taylor, or Wilfork a reach at 3? I would. Either get Fitz at 3, or trade down, and get one of these three at 7.
Wilfork would be a huge reach.I've seen highlights of him and he pretty good. If he's unblocked.That guy is bust central.Now Winslow and Taylor are guys i'd be happy with.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it truly does come down to Taylor and Winslow at the top of our board, then I hope we sure as hell pick Taylor. I know how talented Winslow is, but the "headcase" factor is just too much for me to ignore.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Taylor Controversy

The way I look at it: If - after all the negative stuff seeping up about Taylor from those invisible people named "they" who "say" things (as in "they say") - if Denny still feels Sean is one of the three players "in a class by themselves", that should put to rest all doubts about Taylor.

I just finished posting Kiper's comments on the player descriptions on the BRS, and got all jacked up about Taylor all over again after reading what Mel had to say. Specifically -

"Taylor has everything you look for in a future all pro: great size, good gameday speed, a nose for the football and the love to lay down the big hit. He's terrific in coverage, breaking on the ball with terrific instincts....The bottom line with Taylor is not only that he handles his responsibilities flawlessly, but he brings a Ray Lewis type approach and attitude to the entire football team. That's what makes him special!"

Someone titled another thread (I haven't read yet) something like "The Defense Needs Their Boldin Too."

Taylor, maybe?

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Wilfork would be a huge reach.I've seen highlights of him and he pretty good. If he's unblocked.That guy is bust central.Now Winslow and Taylor are guys i'd be happy with.

That sums up my position.

My personal preference for the three guys we have targeted at #3 would be:

1. Taylor - Hello defensive playmaker which we desperately need!

2. Fitz - Would potentially give us one of the best 3 WR set in the league.

3. Winslow - Apparently a physical freak. Kind of the Moss of TEs. So, I would not be terribly disappointed with this pick.

HOWEVER,

Freddie Jones still has a couple good years in him. He played well last year. TE is not a need position in my opinion. If winslow is the BPA great, lets do it. But either Taylor or Fitz will fall to #3. (So what happens if we pick Winslow is a moot question).

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
There are only three players that I would consider at #3 in this draft and it appears that the Cardinals are not going to choose any of them. Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Robert Gallery are the only ones worthy of #3 money in this draft. If I were not going to draft one of them I would trade down.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Why would they call a press conference to announce this stuff? It's not even newsworthy. Everyone is already sure that they covet Fitz. Why say that they only value three players? Why add in that they're reluctant to trade? They limit their options.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree w/AZDAD

From what I've read/heard someone w/an ego the size of K. Winslow will NEVER be happy w/the Cards. 1st--he'll hold out. (Haven't we had enough of this crap over the years??) 2nd/ When he does finally sign and get in the line-up, he'll want the ball all the time. How will "Q" feel about this?? and 3rd, he'll never be happy w/the Cardinals being "invisible" to the national media. How many games are we on TV this year?? I agree w/staying put but will be extremely disappointed in selecting K. Winslow. ...And YES, I know he'll be All-Pro for (10) years ...and aggravate the daylights out of everybody in the process. GO CARDS!!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
stretchthefield said:
'Denny Green also said they have a very good player targeted at #33'

A TFY moderator suggests this is OLB Teddy Lehman, hmmmm...

I love this quote..... How about "We really don't like any of the players out there, so we'll just pick the one that looks the best in a uniform." Now that's honesty.

I'm thinking DT at 33.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Why would they call a press conference to announce this stuff? It's not even newsworthy. Everyone is already sure that they covet Fitz. Why say that they only value three players? Why add in that they're reluctant to trade? They limit their options.

Teams do these pre-draft conferences all the time. It's no biggie. When D-Day comes it will go down like it goes down no matter what was said here today.