Greatest Center You Ever Saw Play

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I have to say I've seen a few within the last decade or two. Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo. But the one that was the most dominant I ever saw was Hakeem Olajuwan. I still remember when he schooled Shaq and Orlando in the finals and they were gonna go one on one on pay per view.

Hakeem could play inside and hit that outside jump shot, not to mention he was a beast when it came to shot blocking. I can't believe he was only 6-10.

And I don't want to hear responses like Oliver Miller or George Muhereson.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I have to say I've seen a few within the last decade or two. Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo. But the one that was the most dominant I ever saw was Hakeem Olajuwan. I still remember when he schooled Shaq and Orlando in the finals and they were gonna go one on one on pay per view.

Hakeem could play inside and hit that outside jump shot, not to mention he was a beast when it came to shot blocking. I can't believe he was only 6-10.

Hmm this is a hard one. The most skilled center that Ive ever seen has to be The Dream. The guy was absolutely amazing. As much as it killed me that his team beat the suns twice in the playoffs, i couldnt help but be amazed by the things he could do.

Shaq has to be the most dominant though (if you compare both of them in their prime). Of course an argument against this could be that shaq had kobe whereas hakeem did everything by himself for his first championship and with an older clyde drexler for his second. I guess when it comes down it I would pick hakeem by a hair.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
Without a doubt it is Shaquille O'Neal. Especially in his 3 year championship run in LA. The guy was impossible to defend, a very underated passer, and always cam through in the playoffs. Olajuwon did outplay him in the Finals, but that was when Shaq was young. I remember a few years later when Shaq just destoyed the Dream, and Hakeem said he was 'easily the best center' he ever played against.

Second place is where it gets hard. It is a tough decision for me to decide between Olajuwon and Kareem. Now, I was only born in 1975, so I only really remember the last 10 years or so of Kareems carrer. The guy was amazing though. He had the greatest 'go-to shot' in the history of the NBA, and made countless huge shots for the Lakers. He wasn't a great defender, but was better then he was given credit for.

As good as Kareem was though, I'd have to give the nod to Hakeem (if it is only from when I saw them). I am sure if I saw Kareem in his early years then he would easily be second and maybe even 1st, however with just what I saw, 'The Dream', has to be the runner-up. Olajuwon is the most agile big I have ever seen, and the only guy who may be close is Amare. Olajuwon's young life in soccer gave him the ability to move his feet like a shooting guard. He was an incredible defender, and molded himself into an almost unstoppable offensive force. His post moves were jaw-dropping, and he was an absolute joy to watch play.

Honestly, these 3 are so far ahead of any of the other centers :notworthy I have seen that it is not even fair to list others with them. Honarble mention to Moses Malone (eventhough he was kind of a PF), David Robinson, Pat Ewing, and Robert Parrish (I am sure I am forgeting some players).

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I have to say I've seen a few within the last decade or two. Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo.

Most dominant?? Can't believe Ewing is on the list. Maybe I am just a Knicks hater, but I NEVER liked Ewing or his game.

I agree that it comes down to Hakeem and Shaq. I am going with Shaq because dominant means power to me. When Hakeem made a power move to the basket it was pretty, but didn't make the defenders make little yellow puddles on the court like Shaq. Hakeem was a more complete player though.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
JPlay said:

If you want to exclude Oliver Miller then you need to make the criteria more clear. Is this contest on a basketball court or at Krispy Kremes?

fordronken

Reaction score
LakeShowMan said:
Without a doubt it is Shaquille O'Neal. Especially in his 3 year championship run in LA. The guy was impossible to defend, a very underated passer, and always cam through in the playoffs. Olajuwon did outplay him in the Finals, but that was when Shaq was young. I remember a few years later when Shaq just destoyed the Dream, and Hakeem said he was 'easily the best center' he ever played against.

Second place is where it gets hard. It is a tough decision for me to decide between Olajuwon and Kareem. Now, I was only born in 1975, so I only really remember the last 10 years or so of Kareems carrer. The guy was amazing though. He had the greatest 'go-to shot' in the history of the NBA, and made countless huge shots for the Lakers. He wasn't a great defender, but was better then he was given credit for.

As good as Kareem was though, I'd have to give the nod to Hakeem (if it is only from when I saw them). I am sure if I saw Kareem in his early years then he would easily be second and maybe even 1st, however with just what I saw, 'The Dream', has to be the runner-up. Olajuwon is the most agile big I have ever seen, and the only guy who may be close is Amare. Olajuwon's young life in soccer gave him the ability to move his feet like a shooting guard. He was an incredible defender, and molded himself into an almost unstoppable offensive force. His post moves were jaw-dropping, and he was an absolute joy to watch play.

Honestly, these 3 are so far ahead of any of the other centers :notworthy I have seen that it is not even fair to list others with them. Honarble mention to Moses Malone (eventhough he was kind of a PF), David Robinson, Pat Ewing, and Robert Parrish (I am sure I am forgeting some players).

From a fairly objective point of view, the only year in L.A. that really impressed me was their first championship in 200(his MVP season). That was, without question, an absolutely monstrous season. His other years he either seemed too unpollished or too unmotivated.

My barometer for Shaq, and nine times out of ten it's been true, is "Is Shaq jumping this game?" When he's actually jumping, particularly on defense, he has monster games. When he just kind of lifts his feet a little, they're much less impressive.

I'm not saying, by the way, that Shaq still wasn't one of the best players in the game his other years, but he really only had one mind blowing year that I can remember.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
From a fairly objective point of view, the only year in L.A. that really impressed me was their first championship in 200(his MVP season). That was, without question, an absolutely monstrous season. His other years he either seemed too unpollished or too unmotivated.

My barometer for Shaq, and nine times out of ten it's been true, is "Is Shaq jumping this game?" When he's actually jumping, particularly on defense, he has monster games. When he just kind of lifts his feet a little, they're much less impressive.

I'm not saying, by the way, that Shaq still wasn't one of the best players in the game his other years, but he really only had one mind blowing year that I can remember.

ford - that year the Lakers went 15-1 in the playoffs was something special. They may not have had a great regular season, but their play in the playoffs was damn near untouchable.

I gotta go with Shaq during the 3 year title run. Once the playoffs started, there nothing that could stop that guy - he crapped on everyone's head to a new level of dominance.

As far a Dream "schooling" Shaq in the Houston series - Shaq had more points and boards - he just didn't have guys surrounding him who could make clutch shots like Cassell, Glyde and Horry (averged 18 points/game in the Finals). Shaq was basically a one man wrecking crew back then.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Shaq couldn't hold Wilt's jock strap! The guy was a 300 lb., OVER 7'2" Amare that double digit rebounded on top of unstoppable scoring. One year he made it his goal to lead the league in assists. Then he went out and did it! Russell may have the rings, but Wilt had the skills. No doubt Wilt was the best center ever in my mind. :thumbup:

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Shaq just runs over people, but he's so big you can't tell if it's a foul or not. Shaq offensive Repertoire doesn't even come close to Hakeem's. Shaq has a baby hook that misses 50% of the time, plus he bricks free throws.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Shaq just runs over people, but he's so big you can't tell if it's a foul or not. Shaq offensive Repertoire doesn't even come close to Hakeem's. Shaq has a baby hook that misses 50% of the time, plus he bricks free throws.

I don't think people remember how dominant and quikc Shaq was during his title runs. He was actually fun to watch play for a couple years. The guy had great body control and unbelievable footwork for a guy his size. JUst because you're that big, doesn't mean you'r egoing to dominate the way Shaq did. His athleticism is what made him so impressive to me.

Hakeem probably comes 2nd, but I still don't think putting the guy in their primes that he can hold a candle to Shaquille. 8 conference finals - being the leader of 3 different teams - 5 Finals - 3 Finals MVPs - that's pretty sick - considerably dwarfing Hakeem's 3 Finals, 2 Finals MVPs, 4 Conference Finals.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Noone here old enough to see Wilt Chamberlain play? Man, you guys really missed something. He quit playing when he could have played even more. Like Jim Brown, he got mentally tired of the game before he got physically too old. The Suns tried to get him, but the Lakers would not renounce his rights. :(

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also - no one would be talking about Hakeem if not for consecutive Knee injuries suffered by Barkley once the Suns were already kicking those weak ass Rockets teams' ass in the second round of the playoffs.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that - do you think if Barkley hadn't have gotten hurt that we wouldhave gone on to beat the Rockets those two years?

Last edited:

fordronken

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
ford - that year the Lakers went 15-1 in the playoffs was something special. They may not have had a great regular season, but their play in the playoffs was damn near untouchable.

I gotta go with Shaq during the 3 year title run. Once the playoffs started, there nothing that could stop that guy - he crapped on everyone's head to a new level of dominance.

As far a Dream "schooling" Shaq in the Houston series - Shaq had more points and boards - he just didn't have guys surrounding him who could make clutch shots like Cassell, Glyde and Horry (averged 18 points/game in the Finals). Shaq was basically a one man wrecking crew back then.

Shaq was still great those other years. I'm not questioning that. But it didn't approach what he did in 2000. His supporting cast that year was nowhere close to the other years, mostly because of the level of Kobe's development at that point. He looked legenday that year. I'm telling you. Watch tape of Shaq from 2000 and compare it to any other year with the Lakers. Body language, energy, effort, aggression, dominance. It's not even close.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Shaq was still great those other years. I'm not questioning that. But it didn't approach what he did in 2000. His supporting cast that year was nowhere close to the other years, mostly because of the level of Kobe's development at that point. He looked legenday that year. I'm telling you. Watch tape of Shaq from 2000 and compare it to any other year with the Lakers. Body language, energy, effort, aggression, dominance. It's not even close.

If you're talking the whole season I agree completely with you. But I thought that while he coasted during the regular season in the next two years, by the time the playoffs rolled along, he was in shape and dominated just as much during the stretch runa nd playoffs in 2001 and 2 as he did in 2000. I just remember being mesmerized by him in the playoffs in 2001. I actually even gave the Lakers props(something that was very painful for me to do) to my friends out in LA because he was just ridiculously good. But, I guess I'm splitting hairs now.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Not to insult you, but that is such a cop out, and is the way people always try to discount Shaquille. If you believe it fine, but I really doubt that you actually watched the guy play a whole lot. I watched every single game in that time, and this is so far from the truth that it is rediculous.

Shaq, especially from 2000-2002 was just amazing. He had a little turn around one-handed 'jumper'. He had an amazingly quick spin move (for his size), especially baseline from the left block. He developed a little running hook in the middle of the lane. He was an outstanding passer, the only center better at the time was Vlade (go look up the stats for those seasons). Yes, he was physical and banged a lot, but he also got fouled pretty much everytime he got the ball. Not only that, but he was so good that the league put in the zone to try and help teams cover him. Much like back in Mikan's time when the NBA widened the lane to reduce his effectiveness.

I know that it is almost impossible for fans of other teams to give Laker players their due (look how much more popular Shaq was when he played in Orlando and Miami), but I just get sick of this crap about Shaq. The guy is a physical anamoly, which makes it hard for people to accept how good he WAS, but the notion that he was just this big bully is short sighted and wrong. The guy for all his warts (i.e. failure to keep himself in shape, ego issues w/ teammates, silly quotes, movies, rapping, etc.), made himself into an amazing basketball player. He has always been an unselfish player on the court, and makes every single player he plays with many times better (as Jay-Z said 'He opens more doors then car service'). Hate all you want, but don't let it cloud your judgement of a b-ball player. To this day I hate Larry Bird's guts, but I respect the hell out of him as player.

fordronken

Reaction score
The problem with these arguments is they tend to turn into forums for discrediting other players. I'm really not trying to do that. Shaq is definitely worth arguing for best center of all time. All I was trying to say is that he really only blew my mind over an entire year once. He was still incredible other times and especially by comparisson to others in the league at that time, but the way I look at it, it's a damned shame he couldn't have stretched that run out for another year or two. Obviously, they still won the titles, but if he'd been at that level for three or four years straight, he would have crushed a lot of arguments over "best ever".

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
fordronken said:
The problem with these arguments is they tend to turn into forums for discrediting other players. I'm really not trying to do that. Shaq is definitely worth arguing for best center of all time. All I was trying to say is that he really only blew my mind over an entire year once. He was still incredible other times and especially by comparisson to others in the league at that time, but the way I look at it, it's a damned shame he couldn't have stretched that run out for another year or two. Obviously, they still won the titles, but if he'd been at that level for three or four years straight, he would have crushed a lot of arguments over "best ever".

I agree I think Shaq's biggest downfall might have been that he was almost too succesful at being able to 'flip the switch'. Unfortunately it got him into the mode that he would be able to get in shape during the season or just prime for the playoffs. That, however, ends up catcing up and you lose some effectiveness.

When you look at it though, big men don't stay as dominant as long as smaller players. Most centers, big men, hit their prime around 27 and then decline around 32. Kareem played for a long time, but he may be the exception. Even he was reduced to mostly a post scorer in his later years.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to see Kareem play when he was still with the Bucks. My dad took me to see the Bucks play the Kansas City-Omaha Kings. Yes, that's how freakin' old I am! He was incredible at that stage of his career. He swatted shots, grabbed boards, ran the floor, and yes, rolled that sky hook in Sam Lacy's face all night. Double teams, triples, it didn't matter how many, he just elevated a little and rolled it off his hand right in front of us. He even had a nice jumper going to his left.

We too often forget how athletic he was in his early years. Forget the days of shaved head and goggles and harken back to the days of 'fro and mutten chops. That guy had a complete game, and his offensive skills were well above anyone we see today. In his prime, he would have been much too tough for a guy like Hakeem to try to cover. His defense may not have been great, but you couldn't stop him offensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about who was the greatest center I have ever seen play for quite some time. Without even thinking twice, I would chose Kareem in his prime. Most people remember only the shadow of Kareem in his later years.

His was so tall, agile and athletic that he would make many great centers pale in comparison (and he had the total package along with longevity). I do not want to diminish anything from the many great centers being mentioned, but I believe he would totally make players like Shaq and Chamberlain look clumsy in comparison. Bill Russell (another great center) could often contain Chamberlain when I saw head to head matchups and Russell was only 6'9" tall.

Again there were so many great centers, perhaps only Hakeem could come close to Kareem in terms of athletic ability but he was not as tall. Kareem could absolutely dominate a game when he was young without having to use brute force to get the job done.

I think people tend to overlook Kareem who, IMO, was the greatest center to ever play the game. If I were building a list of the 10 best players who ever played basketball, I would start with Kareem. And believe me I was never a Milwaukee or an L.A. Laker fan. I've been a Suns fan all the way.

There would be many NBA Championship banners hanging from AWA if the Suns won the coin flip on Kareem.

Again, this is my opinion from watching the centers from Bill Russell Forward. If someone thinks Shaq is the best so be it, I do not want to take anything away from him. Hakeem is the only center that I can readily think of that compares athletically.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some other great centers, like perhaps Bill Walton and David Robinson among others. It's just that I consider Kareem as the best center I have ever seen play.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I do not want to diminish anything from the many great centers being mentioned, but I believe he would totally make players like Shaq and Chamberlain look clumsy in comparison. Bill Russell (another great center) could often contain Chamberlain when I saw head to head matchups and Russell was only 6'9" tall.

I was with you right up to this point. I never saw Chamberlain in his prime, so I didn't go with him. To say that Wilt was too clumsy is way off. Remember the athlete we are talking about. A great collegiate long jumper. A great collegiate hurdler. One of the better volleyball players of his time. A guy that had a beautiful jumper and all the moves in the world in his prime. He was taller, stronger, faster and more agile than any of his opponents with the exception of Russell. And much of Russell's success against Wilt was due to his mental toughness, and preparation. He knew what Wilt was going to do before he did it. And one thing that get's lost in the shuffle from time to time is Wilt did have some great games against Russell.

Wilt's ability made them change the rules. He could have done frightening things had he been given the same kind of latitude that Shaq is, but that wasn't Wilt's style. He tried to use finese. I saw him once in CA. I'm 6'8" and at that time in good shape, he was a combination of a gorilla and a gazelle, speed and power. Patrick Ewing after meeting him for the first time was amazed by his size. 'Huge, just huge', is how he described Chamberlain when he was about 50.

No, Wilt wasn't clumsy, he was the greatest, but I never saw him play in his early years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
I was with you right up to this point...

No, Wilt wasn't clumsy, he was the greatest, but I never saw him play in his early years.

Again I do not mean to take away from the legacy of any of the great centers.

What I said was (about Kareem):

... I believe he would totally make players like Shaq and Chamberlain look clumsy in comparison.

I in no way meant to imply Wilt or Shaq was "clumsy."

What I'm trying to say, is that Kareem was so graceful and fluid in his game, that more physical players (who rely more upon strength than Kareem) might appear less agile. By the way, I did not know about Wilt's skill in track. I wish I could have seen Wilt play more than just when the Philadephia and Boston games were televised in those days.

I was actually in awe of Wilt's size and ability. I still have trouble believing Bill Russell could somewhat control Wilt on the defensive end. It was almost like David and Goliath. I would have loved to see Shaq and Wilt play against each other in their prime with their massive size.

Please don't get Shaq and Wilt mad at me. :)

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Kareem

The "Sky Hook" was the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game. He was also an excellent defender.

I saw Wilt at the tail end of his career but he was not impressive at that point. Wilt made Shaq's free throw shooting look like John Stockton.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When Kareem was in his prime he could take a qaurter off the top of the backboard. His release on the "Sky Hook" was a foot above the rim.