Green finally wises up and starts Leckey

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I said at the beginning of the season this guy should be starting. He did very well in the preseason. Now let's see how he does against first teamers in the real season. We can only hope moving Step to RG and the return of a healthy Ross improves this line.

As for Elton Brown, he will be a good player someday but he was not ready to start as a rookie. I hope Leckey backs me up and plays well enough to stick in the lineup for the rest of the year.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I said at the beginning of the season this guy should be starting. He did very well in the preseason. Now let's see how he does against first teamers in the real season. We can only hope moving Step to RG and the return of a healthy Ross improves this line.
As for Elton Brown, he will be a good player someday but he was not ready to start as a rookie. I hope Leckey backs me up and plays well enough to stick in the lineup for the rest of the year.
Brown is hurt, so I'm not sure how this move is about Green "wising up."

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Not only that but Brown, even as a rookie, is our 2nd best Olineman.

I love that he started...if he can build upon that experience, shed a little weight, and get stronger in the offseason...he could be our RG for the next 10 years, IMO.

OP
OP
D

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Pariah said:

He had a choice between starting Leckey and someone like Bridges or Hayer. He made the right move.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Totally agree, good choice. At least we are using the young depth that we have to develop rather than some cast-offs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We'll see.

My eyeballs tell me that the problem with the offensive line doesn't solely rest with its right side.

More often than not, you see running plays to the left blown up by the defense and Leonard and Reggie standing around after the play (instead of getting up off the ground after blocking somebody).

Then again, nothing else has worked. It can't help to move Step to RG and give Leckey a shot at center. Ross is a different kettle of worms - before he was injured, he wasn't all that good. (I'm holding out hope that he hid his injury, didn't play well because of it and will play better now that it's healed).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
It just looks like guys are completely missing blocks or assignments. Is it missed line calls, laziness, or both.

I tend to think it is both. Maybe at least part of it will get better with a new center.

Plus is Step worried and thinking about the line calls more then actually blocking his man? Players tend to start playing better when they stop thinking and just start doing and it becomes natural.

:shrug:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The beat on Step leading up to the draft was that he had very little movement in how he blocked. Or as Russ described him, he is a 'fence post' type of linemen (which I agree with).

Step would hit just one guy and stay on him without ever dominating him or moving onto the second level. Leckey is far better at taking out his man and then looking up field to take out linebackers and clear the way in the ground game. Hopefully, with Leckey in the lineup we will be more effective in creating some holes for JJ and Shipp to run through on Sunday.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Also, on this Step vs Leckey semi 'controversey'. When reading the scouting profiles you do get the impression that Leckey is the better linemen. Take a look:

Leckey:

Positives: Has solid bulk, carrying his weight well, displaying a tight midsection, wide hips, good bubble and thick lower torso with only 12-percent body fat … Has the potential to add another 25 pounds with no loss of quickness … Gains advantage at the snap with his sudden movement, showing nimble feet and above-average balance … Combines strength with speed to deliver pop and explosion behind his blocks … Plays with leverage, using his hands to quickly get underneath a defender's pads … Has the power to get movement off the ball and will sustain and finish with consistency … Very productive when used on short traps and pulls, finding his target and taking proper angles on the move … Looks defenders up downfield and easily gets into the second level to neutralize the linebackers … His strong upper body and powerful hand punch allows him to gain control of the defender rising out of his stance … Keeps his weight back, stays square and shows the foot agility needed to slide and adjust to the defender's redirection … Very alert to stunts and twists, doing an excellent job of anchoring vs. the bull rush … Can shuffle, slide and adjust while staying in control dropping back in pass protection … Strong character with an aggressive nature and the intelligence to easily digest a complicated play book … Will not hesitate to throw an elbow to bring the defender down … Compensates for a lack of true speed with above-average flexibility, good knee bend and fluid hip flexibility.
Negatives: Best working near the line, as he does not have the speed to block in space, but has made improvements in this area … Will sometimes rely too much on his power rather than technique in neutralizing the defender … Still needs to work on his shotgun snap (some will sail and wobble).

Step:

Positives: Has a thick frame with very good muscle tone, large hands and long arms … Well-respected by coaches and teammates for his tough, aggressive nature (comes from his prep wrestling background) … Puts in extra effort in practices and in the weight room … Has a defensive mentality (plays with a search-and-destroy approach) … Shows good explosion upon contact and works hard to sustain blocks … Has adequate flexibility, working well with the other guard and center in combo blocks … Snaps out of his stance with his hands getting quickly into the defender's chest … Has the foot speed to be effective on traps and shows decent agility working in space … Has strong hands to deliver a forceful punch and shows proper technique to hold on to his opponent without the refs noticing … Displays quick hand snap at the center position, keeping his head on a swivel to locate secondary targets after the initial block … Smart enough to wall out and seal off in pass protection … Has no problems dealing with a defender lining up over him and has the ability to shotgun snap … Best when working in the short area, as he utilizes his strength to sustain.
Negatives: May be better suited for center, as he struggles to get out front when asked to pull (sloppy footwork working in space) … Has a nasty nature, but sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him, resulting in costly penalties … His wrestling mentality forces him to try and out-muscle the defender (this results in him locking on to the opponent for long periods, rather than chip off to find another target to locate) … Not a great athlete, but relies a lot on his highly competitive nature … Even with his power and aggressive attitude, he does not consistently knock guys around on his own (seemed to lack the hip snap in 2003 that he displayed the previous season, but that could be due to injury problems) … Does not get proper leverage on running plays, falling behind the plays when asked to move to the second level (better working in the box) … His struggles pulling and playing in space at guard is another reason why center may be his pro position.

This is of course not a reflection of what type of player they are now. Because I'm a firm believer that coaching is so crucial at the pro level in player development.

But as I said, it does seem that Step has/had more questions than Leckey.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Also, on this Step vs Leckey semi 'controversey'. When reading the scouting profiles you do get the impression that Leckey is the better linemen.

If Leckey is the better player than why the &$%#@ hasn't he been in there instead of Step from day one?

I can't believe that anyone would consistantly start a player that was not as good as his back-up, especially when both guys were drafted in the same year and with our continued oline problems.

:headinsand?: :shrug:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I don't know if Leckey is the better player. I even stated that at the end of the post. But as I said, from reading the scouting reports you do get the impression that Leckey is the better linemen IMO.

In regards to the better player sitting. It happens all the time. For example, James Darling sat behind Ray Thompson, but Darling is clearly the better LB. Sometimes it is more than just who is the better player.

OP
OP
D

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
If Leckey is the better player than why the &$%#@ hasn't he been in there instead of Step from day one?

I can't believe that anyone would consistantly start a player that was not as good as his back-up, especially when both guys were drafted in the same year and with our continued oline problems.

:headinsand?: :shrug:

Good question. Why was Ian Allen even on the roster? This O line has regressed since Lindsey took over. Especially Big.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser