Green's CEO mindset.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame the Bidwills for our woes as they are drastically changing their ways in the past few years, but one of the things I DO blame the Bidwills for is not opening up the pocketbooks to Green to hire whomever he wants as assistants. It is a known fact that he has a small budget for assistant coaching hires, which hurts a HC like him who operates like a CEO: ie, he plans the overall strategy and gameplan and breaks down opponents overeall, and relies on strong coordinators (CFO, CIO, CMO) and position coaches (directors, senior managers) to implement the gameplan (corporate strategy.)

If a CEO is given small dollars to hire his division presidents or executive team, that team will fail the CEO because he can't get the best people he wants and has to get guys within his budget.

I don't disagree with Green's HC philosophy; I've seen many CEOs employ it to perfection because they hire outstanding "position coaches and coordinators" who implement the CEO vision and direction. If the Chief Technology Officer is failing, the CEO doesn't take over CTO duties because that isn't what he does...he fires him and gets someone else who can do it. But it takes money to get good guys (or sheer luck that someone low paid is about to bust out).

It's one of the main reasons I don't hate on Green as much as a lot of you do. His vision and gameplans are there, and solid. The employees (except the Oline) are there and can play. His leadership team however is average or below average.

I have hopes for the new OC, especially if Green is truly the kind of leader he appears to be and claims to be...a hands off guy who gives his OC and DC free rein to implement his gameplan. Coach K is a QB coach, with a star rookie QB and *should* be more willing to push the passing game more with a lot more trust in the QB. I'm very interested to see if there are subtle but substantial changes in the offensive playcalling in Oakland.

DG may not be the best coach out there, but he isn't the worst. He has this team right on the cusp. I do think he is handcuffed still by the front office in the light assistant coaching budget he has. He might have hit lightning in a bottle with this new OC move, and I know he is hoping he did.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Hopefully, a sold out stadium and lots of $ for naming rights will help Sn. open his pockets (or better yet. Make him retire)

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
If the CEO is too out of touch or egomaniacal to see (or admit) the problems with division heads, it makes no difference. Denny is supposed to be an offensive guru. It seems he gives little or no input to the OC. That way he can put the blame squarely on the OC. This is known as covering your own ass.

Worked for Enron.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you hire someone to do a job. if they can not do the job that you hired them for, then you find someone who can.

philosphy for employment since the beginning of time.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
If he is making the QB coach the OC, does that mean we are abandoning the run AGAIN?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is making the QB coach the OC, does that mean we are abandoning the run AGAIN?

I freaking HOPE SO.

This isn't a running team. It's a passing team. Anyone who fails to see that is blind. We should pass to set up the run, not the other way around. See the Colts for an example.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I freaking HOPE SO.

This isn't a running team. It's a passing team. Anyone who fails to see that is blind. We should pass to set up the run, not the other way around. See the Colts for an example.

Our running should be done out of our passing formation period, we should have numerous formations we use and we should never tip the run and almost never use a fullback to block for it because when we do they tip the run.

We should have audibles that allow us to simply switch the play to a run without altering the formation one bit or at least not any differently than when we pass.

Suprise is a novel concept for this bunch but if they ever grasped it they'd feel empowered by it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame the Bidwills for our woes as they are drastically changing their ways in the past few years, but one of the things I DO blame the Bidwills for is not opening up the pocketbooks to Green to hire whomever he wants as assistants. It is a known fact that he has a small budget for assistant coaching hires, which hurts a HC like him who operates like a CEO: ie, he plans the overall strategy and gameplan and breaks down opponents overeall, and relies on strong coordinators (CFO, CIO, CMO) and position coaches (directors, senior managers) to implement the gameplan (corporate strategy.)

If a CEO is given small dollars to hire his division presidents or executive team, that team will fail the CEO because he can't get the best people he wants and has to get guys within his budget.

I don't disagree with Green's HC philosophy; I've seen many CEOs employ it to perfection because they hire outstanding "position coaches and coordinators" who implement the CEO vision and direction. If the Chief Technology Officer is failing, the CEO doesn't take over CTO duties because that isn't what he does...he fires him and gets someone else who can do it. But it takes money to get good guys (or sheer luck that someone low paid is about to bust out).

It's one of the main reasons I don't hate on Green as much as a lot of you do. His vision and gameplans are there, and solid. The employees (except the Oline) are there and can play. His leadership team however is average or below average.

I have hopes for the new OC, especially if Green is truly the kind of leader he appears to be and claims to be...a hands off guy who gives his OC and DC free rein to implement his gameplan. Coach K is a QB coach, with a star rookie QB and *should* be more willing to push the passing game more with a lot more trust in the QB. I'm very interested to see if there are subtle but substantial changes in the offensive playcalling in Oakland.

DG may not be the best coach out there, but he isn't the worst. He has this team right on the cusp. I do think he is handcuffed still by the front office in the light assistant coaching budget he has. He might have hit lightning in a bottle with this new OC move, and I know he is hoping he did.

:thumbup:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I am not sure his budget is small as everyone thinks. If you remember we signed two assistant coaches in last than a week. Both of coaches had been in the league a long time and there were a lot of empty coaching positions in the league. Neither of these coaches would have signed with the Cardinals for a low contract. They would have waited for other offers. If the Bidwills are cheap, why do they allow Green to keep firing assistants (who still get paid) and then hire new assistants. That costs more money.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure his budget is small as everyone thinks. If you remember we signed two assistant coaches in last than a week. Both of coaches had been in the league a long time and there were a lot of empty coaching positions in the league. Neither of these coaches would have signed with the Cardinals for a low contract. They would have waited for other offers. If the Bidwills are cheap, why do they allow Green to keep firing assistants (who still get paid) and then hire new assistants. That costs more money.

When he first was hired that was a big issue...that he didn't get a big budget for assistants. When all is said and done, they'll probably have paid in much as salary for new hires and old contracts as they would have if Denny had been able to go after more high profile guys.

You can argue he wouldn't go after those because he'd be scared of them challenging his job, but I don't buy it....but it is arguable.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
being scacred of someone taking over his job has to be the silliest thing i have ever heard. especially after the cardinals just hired him. if the cardinals win that cordinator would get some credit, but green would get majority of the credit. that is how that works in the football business. you think belicheck was worried about weis or crennell taking over his job. i don't think so. the cordinator moves on somewhere else to become a headcoach.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
being scacred of someone taking over his job has to be the silliest thing i have ever heard. especially after the cardinals just hired him. if the cardinals win that cordinator would get some credit, but green would get majority of the credit. that is how that works in the football business. you think belicheck was worried about weis or crennell taking over his job. i don't think so. the cordinator moves on somewhere else to become a headcoach.

That's how I feel, but there are tons of people who don't like Green that make this very claim.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score

This is the best damn thing I have heard all week. Bottom line is, we are right there. We are right there. Unfortunately, we have our backs to the wall for any playoff hopes, and this does suck, really bad. Unless this team completely implodes, I want to see Denny finish out his contract. The last thing I want to do is have another joe come in here at this point (not tommorow, after the season...) and jettison the roster to get "his guys" in there. We still have dead wieght on this team, still need to tweak some things. I am indifferent about Denny, but I am starting to sense less of a Buddy Ryan senario and more of a Joe Bugel. We were right there with him too...

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am indifferent about Denny, but I am starting to sense less of a Buddy Ryan senario and more of a Joe Bugel. We were right there with him too...
Yep...I've been on Denny's ass for over a year now, but I'm starting to sense the same. I think he's re-learning some stuff here in Arizona to go along with his previous NFL experience. Let's see how things play out the rest of this year. We may indeed be closer than we think...

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
If we're making business analogies here, then we have to consider the business question of having "dead wood" that has to be removed. Did you hire dead wood or was it a live tree when it was hired?

If dead wood was hired, then the hiring process sucks. Just because he may not have a budget the size of, for example, the Redskins to hire assistants, doesn't excuse hiring people who are unqualified, inept, or more importantly don't folllow the same philosophies as he does. Hiring an ultra conservative coordinator in to an organization that wants aggression is a failing in the hiring system. I'm sure there are plenty of coaches with the same experience that fit the philosphy mold that could have been had for the same money.

If you hired a live tree, then the system sucks for killing it. Is said coordinator naturally aggressive and would prefer to air it out, but was so afraid of making a mistake that he felt the more secure position was to play conservatively? If this is the case then the "CEO" or the "board of directors" are still at fault for creating an environment of fear.

Not sure where exactly the systemic failure is happening at Cards HQ, but one of the two above situations is happening. If the new guy was hired by the same system and works in the same system, and nothing else has changed, any predictor of success or failure is random chance. If the guy is good, it doesn't mean that Denny got better or that he was a good hire, it is just dumb luck.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
you hire someone to do a job. if they can not do the job that you hired them for, then you find someone who can.

philosphy for employment since the beginning of time.

Your are right on vinnymac. it works that way in business and sports is a business. George Steinbrenner understands it better than most and will tell you up front and in your face.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

You have to go with what your players bring to the table. If you have no OL you cannot decide you are going to be a running team. If you have a lousy QB you can not decide you are going to be a passing team. The goal is to have a balanced attack so you cannot let your defenders do not know what is comming. Our opposition knows we cannot run but continue to try anyway so they just defend the run. We have the best pass catchers in the NFL and it looks like a future pro bowl QB. We also have the worst OL in the NL. Is there any question what we should be doing? Apparently Green and staff thought or think we can run just because we have Edge and he wants the ball. Just does not work that way.