Greg Oden needs more Surgery

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
He should put a billboard on his knees, he'd make a killing on advertising revenue.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe, they should install a zipper for easy access.

OP
OP
jagu

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I still might make a Robin Lopez for Greg Oden trade lol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg Oden signed a restructured 8.9M 1 year contract in December 2011. How much of that he gets, I'm not sure. I wonder how long they will hold on to him if this surgery does not solve the problem.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
In other breaking news, summers in Phoenix can get hot, basketballs are round, and the Suns are not winning a championship this year. Frankly, I am surprised he has lasted this long between surgeries.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still might make a Robin Lopez for Greg Oden trade lol.
You won't have to. Oden won't play this year and he will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Suns will have a lot of money to spend and not a lot of prospects to choose from. Plus they have that vaunted medical staff. I can already see the headlines.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, kneeees. I thought it was brain surgery.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Greg Oden is Sam Bowie the next generation. Lets remember they passed on Michael Jordan for the 2nd pick. The 1st was Hakeen Olwijaon. Lets also remember they passed on Kevin Durrant. At some point they need to cut their losses. At best if healthy he could be Ben Wallace

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So disgusting... Its gone WAY beyond feeling bad for the guy...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't have to. Oden won't play this year and he will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Suns will have a lot of money to spend and not a lot of prospects to choose from. Plus they have that vaunted medical staff. I can already see the headlines.

I doubt it although for the right price, maybe. The Suns have already had to deal with micro-fracture issue with Amare. I'm sure some team will roll the dice on him. The key is getting him for a reasonable contract that is worth the gamble.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. Oden over Durant.

Whoever said, "If you are going to gamble, you might as well gamble on a big guy" ought to be shot.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. Oden over Durant.

Whoever said, "If you are going to gamble, you might as well gamble on a big guy" ought to be shot.
At least Neal Walk stayed healthy and put up a few decent seasons as the consolation prize after the Suns lost the flip for Kareem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm sure slin will still contend that he's better than Gortat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm sure slin will still contend that he's better than Gortat.

Only after he tells us that Oden has a higher adjusted QPL rating. Toss out a page or two of graphs and he'll have us all believing it.

Steve

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oden really was looking like a stud before the injuries, so, around his junior year of high school.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a minor clean up surgery.

And Suns should pick him up as a backup to Gortat.

Of he remains healthy and performs then Gortat becomes tradable.. suns medical staff have a good chance to fix him up....

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Just imagine how good Oden could have been if he didn't start playing basketball till he was 30.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
someone will pick him up when he becomes a FA

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
someone will pick him up when he becomes a FA
Most likely, but the question is for how much and how long. I wouldn't give him more than $3M/year for 2-years at most if he can pass a physical. Otherwise, $1.5M for one year with a team option for another year to see if he can still be salvaged. But I'm guessing someone will offer a quite more lucrative deal.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most likely, but the question is for how much and how long. I wouldn't give him more than $3M/year for 2-years at most if he can pass a physical. Otherwise, $1.5M for one year with a team option for another year to see if he can still be salvaged. But I'm guessing someone will offer a quite more lucrative deal.
double micro-fractur getting a 2 year deal?? a 1year deal, is more likely. just to test the waters on a guy with 5 surgeries.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
double micro-fractur getting a 2 year deal?? a 1year deal, is more likely. just to test the waters on a guy with 5 surgeries.

That sounds reasonable but it's kind of chump change if the guy can actually return to near form and I'd be willing to bet someone will offer at least a 2 year deal if he can pass a physical. In his favor is his age, his lack of mileage and the fact that he doesn't have to play the game above the rim to be a factor. If he can still run up and down the court he's probably a top 15 center even if he's lost some athleticism.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake