Greg Oden needs more Surgery

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A team with probably give him a deal with a 2nd year option for a decent chunk of money but only if he plays in a certain percentage of games. I dont think he can be salvaged at this point though.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lopez was getting 2.5 Million a year to put up close to nothing...

I'd give Oden 3 year / 10 Million.

With second year and third year as team option....

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To make it clear, I do think it is unfortunate that Oden's career has been dampened by injury.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly this latest arthroscopic surgery on his left knee turned into another microfracture procedure after surgeons discovered more damage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtaCyjvc1e02ykVNxSZFz..8vLYF?slug=ap-trailblazers-oden

So to sum up, that's two microfractures on his left knee, one on his right knee, a scope to clean out his right knee, and a surgery to fix his broken knee cap.

Portland has had trouble drafting big men early in the draft besides Oden. There was also Sam Bowie as noted in the article but Bill Walton, except for one magical NBA season, suffered from injuries as well. I now wonder how Portland managed to get all those early picks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard to feel bad for a guy who has has millions (and did very little to earn them), but I can't imagine the mental toll all these surgeries have taken on him. it's pretty sad what's happened to him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard to feel bad for a guy who has has millions (and did very little to earn them), but I can't imagine the mental toll all these surgeries have taken on him. it's pretty sad what's happened to him.

I agree. I think back to every surgery I've had and I can't remember a single trip to the surgeon that didn't involve a lot of stress going in and a lot of discomfort coming out. At this point the guy probably feels more like a professional patient than a professional basketball player.

Steve

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't know what microfracture is like, but if it's anything like the ACL reconstruction I had a few years back, I can't imagine going through 3 of them. Same with Danny Manning, it takes some serious dedication to go through that and still be an athlete.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Portland has had trouble drafting big men early in the draft besides Oden. There was also Sam Bowie as noted in the article but Bill Walton, except for one magical NBA season, suffered from injuries as well. I now wonder how Portland managed to get all those early picks.

Don't forget Sabonis. By the time he was allowed to join the Blazers his feet were toast.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

I can feel bad for a guy who has unearned millions but will probably be have serious joint problems for the rest of his very young life. If you offered me a life of wealth, but in exchange I would have to be a virtual cripple, I don't think I would take it. The guy is in his early 20's but walks like he is in his 80's. I'd rather be middle class and healthy.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I definitely feel for him. The guy wants to play. And he wants to perform for the team that has invested millions in him. And if he can't, I hope he at least can maintain some of his mobility. I hope the surgery goes as well as it possibly can, period.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can feel bad for a guy who has unearned millions but will probably be have serious joint problems for the rest of his very young life. If you offered me a life of wealth, but in exchange I would have to be a virtual cripple, I don't think I would take it. The guy is in his early 20's but walks like he is in his 80's. I'd rather be middle class and healthy.

YUP. as someone who's had to deal with really debilitating injuries for a sustained period of time, there's nothing I wouldn't have given for a clean bill of health.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake