Grizzlies trying to dump...

fordronken

Reaction score
Jason Williams and their first round pick, number 19, though not necessarily together, according to the NY Daily News.

I got the information from hoopshype.com, but the link didn't work.

Nonetheless, if(maybe big if) it's true, while it'd be near impossible and possibly not even worthwhile to go after Jason Williams(the only salary match would be Q), going after their draft pick may be good.

If the Grizzlies were interested in swapping a future first for their pick, it'd probably help our team quite a bit. Having two late first round picks would give us the opportunity to go after two players who could help us off the bench next season, or even one raw player and one immediate contributor. They could also go the route of grabbing two young big man prospects in Andey Blatche and Johan Petro and keeping their fingers crossed that one of them turns into Amare's frontcourt partner for the future.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Three-way with the Hornets. Williams to New Orleans, Richardson to Memphis, P. J. Brown to Phoenix. New Orleans gets the Memphis pick. The Suns would have to ship Voskuhl along to Memphis to make the salaries work, but at least then he'd be united with Tsakalidis. The Hornets need a dynamic point guard, Memphis gets another versatile swingman -- sort of a sane version of Bonzi Wells, if you will -- and the Suns get a defensive-minded PF/C who wants to win now.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Three-way with the Hornets. Williams to New Orleans, Richardson to Memphis, P. J. Brown to Phoenix. New Orleans gets the Memphis pick. The Suns would have to ship Voskuhl along to Memphis to make the salaries work, but at least then he'd be united with Tsakalidis. The Hornets need a dynamic point guard, Memphis gets another versatile swingman -- sort of a sane version of Bonzi Wells, if you will -- and the Suns get a defensive-minded PF/C who wants to win now.

I think you're giving P.J. Brown a little to much credit. New Orleans gets a pick and Jason Williams for a defensive minded big man who has all the potential in the world to suddenly drop off the face of the planet. Personally, I'd rather have Richardson. If anyone should get the Memphis pick in this deal, it'd be Phoenix. Also, since the Hornets are probably going to end up with either Chris Paul or Deron Williams, I can't see them wanting to have Jason Williams there, submarining their young point guard's future.

Sorry to come off so disagreable, but the only team I can see liking this trade is Memphis.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
All right. Since this has become the ridiculous trade thread now, I'm gonna throw one in.

Three team trade with Charlotte, Memphis and Phoenix. Charlotte got involved because they can basically absorb Williams' contract.

Phoenix Trades:
Jim Jackson
Leandro Barbosa
Future first round pick
2005 second round pick(via Dallas)

Phoenix Receives:
Melvin Ely
Jason Hart
Bernard Robinson
Memphis' 2005 1st round pick

Memphis Trades:
Jason Williams
First round pick

Memphis Receives:
Jim Jackson
Phoenix 2005 second round pick(via Dallas)

Charlotte Trades:
Melvin Ely
Jason Hart
Bernard Robinson

Charlotte Receives:
Jason Williams
Leandro Barbosa
Phoenix future first round pick

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Phoenix Trades:
Jim Jackson
Leandro Barbosa
Future first round pick

Phoenix Receives:
Melvin Ely
Jason Hart
Bernard Robinson

:barf:

Since when did you stop being a Suns fan? ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Sorry to come off so disagreable, but the only team I can see liking this trade is Memphis.

Then you're overrating Richardson. We can argue about draft picks and franchise trajectories, but Brown is the best player in the deal.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I think you're giving P.J. Brown a little to much credit. New Orleans gets a pick and Jason Williams for a defensive minded big man who has all the potential in the world to suddenly drop off the face of the planet. Personally, I'd rather have Richardson. If anyone should get the Memphis pick in this deal, it'd be Phoenix. Also, since the Hornets are probably going to end up with either Chris Paul or Deron Williams, I can't see them wanting to have Jason Williams there, submarining their young point guard's future.

I agree except that MEM's pick coming to PHO it's not that bad idea.

NOH could easily pick Gerald Green if they have Jason Williams.

Anyway I'm not sure that I would trade Q for Brown and #19.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Phoenix Trades:
Jim Jackson
Leandro Barbosa
Future first round pick

Phoenix Receives:
Melvin Ely
Jason Hart
Bernard Robinson

:barf:

Since when did you stop being a Suns fan? ;)

I think Jason Hart could easily be an upgrade over Barbosa(he's certainly a better playmaker and more confident shooter). Ely could also pan out as a Malik Rose type player off the bench at PF or C. Then, you've also got two first round picks. That gives us 8-10 players(assuming we retain JJ and Hunter) that could end up playing solid minutes for us next year.

Anyway, I tend to notice that every time somebody(other than you, I suppose) on this board suggests a trade, the Suns are getting way too much. I, therefore, assume the same thing about myself. So I think of a trade that makes sense, then drop it down a notch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyway, I tend to notice that every time somebody(other than you, I suppose) on this board suggests a trade, the Suns are getting way too much. I, therefore, assume the same thing about myself. So I think of a trade that makes sense, then drop it down a notch.

That makes good sense, and I try to do the same thing. But Ely isn't going to solve any of the Suns' problems inside. If the Suns are going to give up Jackson -- who provides veteran toughness almost no one else in the core rotation has -- they'd better get someone (or something) that's a heck of a lot more likely to pay off.

By the way, Brown is 35. He turns 36 in October. Of course he is toward the end of his career, but it's not that unusual for fundamentally sound big men to stick around until 39 or 40. I see no reason to doubt that Brown will continue to be effective during the last two years of his current contract.

And I like Richardson, but players of his ilk are very easy to find through free agency or (with luck) mid-round draft picks.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like Richardson quite a bit, and I think he provides some attiude and swagger that the rest don't. I think if he uses his entire arsenal of moves, like last night, he can be a major contributor. I like PJ Brown as well, and suggested him a few times, but I think he can be had for less than Q. Or, let JJ go, and spend the money on Amare's best buddy Tyson Chandler, who would definitely be worth it. (if he can stay healthy)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:

Then you're overrating Richardson. We can argue about draft picks and franchise trajectories, but Brown is the best player in the deal.

He did get a vote for MVP....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Or, let JJ go, and spend the money on Amare's best buddy Tyson Chandler, who would definitely be worth it.

The four usual suspects when targeting a young stud are Chandler, Curry, Kwame Brown, and Swift. But Chandler and Curry both have major health issues, and Brown and Swift are both smaller than Stoudemire.

I think the Suns will probably stand pat, but if they do go after a big man, it sort of has to be a veteran.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Or, let JJ go, and spend the money on Amare's best buddy Tyson Chandler, who would definitely be worth it.

The four usual suspects when targeting a young stud are Chandler, Curry, Kwame Brown, and Swift. But Chandler and Curry both have major health issues, and Brown and Swift are both smaller than Stoudemire.

I think the Suns will probably stand pat, but if they do go after a big man, it sort of has to be a veteran.

Why does it "have" to be a veteran? I think that Chandler would be the perfect foil for Amare; all he does is get rebounds and average around 2 blocks a game. Not only that, he is effective in running the floor. His back problems are troublesome, but he only appeared to miss a few games last year. If we don't get JJ back, he would seem to be an excellent consolation prize. I am still pissed we didn't make a better effort to sign McDyess, I think he would fit in nicely with the current group.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Why does it "have" to be a veteran? I think that Chandler would be the perfect foil for Amare; all he does is get rebounds and average around 2 blocks a game. Not only that, he is effective in running the floor. His back problems are troublesome, but he only appeared to miss a few games last year. If we don't get JJ back, he would seem to be an excellent consolation prize. I am still pissed we didn't make a better effort to sign McDyess, I think he would fit in nicely with the current group.

Dalembert would be a much better fit than Chandler. Doesn't matter though, we would have to get both of them in a sign and trade -- and there isn't really a deal that could be done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:

According to who??

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
According to who??

Well, according to me, obviously, since I was the one expressing the opinion. Do you think Richardson is better?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think that Chandler would be the perfect foil for Amare; all he does is get rebounds and average around 2 blocks a game. Not only that, he is effective in running the floor. His back problems are troublesome, but he only appeared to miss a few games last year.

I could be wrong, of course, but after the Hardaway fiasco, I just don't see the Suns pursuing someone with chronic injury issues.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
According to who??

Well, according to me, obviously, since I was the one expressing the opinion. Do you think Richardson is better?

Absolutely I think Richardson is better than PJ Brown. No question.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I think that Chandler would be the perfect foil for Amare; all he does is get rebounds and average around 2 blocks a game. Not only that, he is effective in running the floor. His back problems are troublesome, but he only appeared to miss a few games last year.

I could be wrong, of course, but after the Hardaway fiasco, I just don't see the Suns pursuing someone with chronic injury issues.

Now THAT I agree with.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

According to who??

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:

According to who??

Are you kidding me? This is one of the most juvenile responses you've EVER given Eric. "Absolutely I think Richardson is better than PJ Brown." Nice to see your argumentative style has devolved.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Dude, it was a joke. But I have to admit, I get a kick out of Andy's persistent reminders that Brown got a "favorite sun" MVP vote.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05