Halsey traded for Juan Cruz

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang I really liked Halsey. Not entirely sure why, but I did.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though Cruz has only had one really good season (with Atlanta), he still has more upside for next season most of our pitchers.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I always agreed with BA that Halsey was at best a reliever - perhaps a very decent one -- but didn't have the stuff to be a starter.

Remains to be seen how this works out, but it doesn't make me unhappy at all.

Except darn, wish we could have gotten them to take Ortiz, too....

McCray

Reaction score
i like the deal, but it's billy beane we're talking about. there's something else here, something very very wrong. cruz seems like too good a prospect -- a sinkerballer with good k's who was a starter in the minors. but that just makes me wonder, how the hell did we get this guy for halsey? i liked watching halsey, but he was a soft-throwing nibbler who gave up flyballs a little too easy.

i'm putting money on it going down this way: he'll pass his physical, get off the plane, and then one of his legs will fall off. not an arm -- a leg. right there in sky harbor. he'll be hopping along, and somewhere, billy beane will be cackling.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn't the Cubs give up on him because he had no control?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Hey, I thought this was another very good indicator of our new GM -- we made a trade with Billy Beane and didn't get hosed! Remember any time the idea of a trade with Oakland came up in Voldemort's reign, we'd all go stand on the ledge?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Hey, I thought this was another very good indicator of our new GM -- we made a trade with Billy Beane and didn't get hosed! Remember any time the idea of a trade with Oakland came up in Voldemort's reign, we'd all go stand on the ledge?

Who's saying we didn't get hosed??? Halsey could turn into the next John Patterson..... I don't really mind this trade too much (so far) because A) Halsey isn't that good and B) I don't know much about Cruz. However, fans of a team making a trade with Billy Beane's A's can never say we didn't get hosed the day the trade went down. Hopefully Cruz can come in and get it done. Go Dbacks, a week away from the start of the season!!!!!!!!!

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that brings the net of the RJ trade to:
Randy Johnson
William Juarez
Beltran Perez
Danny Muegge

for

Shawn Green (3 years/$32 M:()
Chris Young
Juan Cruz
El Duque
Luis Vizcaino
$19 M

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Cruz is an enigma.. On one hand, in Arizona he could finally live up to that untapped potential that made him a near untouchable as a Cub. If he even lives up to a small portion of that promise, he could bring some "youth" to an otherwise near ancient rotation.

On the other hand, he's never really put together any kind of consistency. I'll hold off judgement on this one and hope this is one of those deals where Byrnes knows what he's doing.