Have many of you would rather have TUGBOAT

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
Emmitt has had an awesome season thus far. 1000 yards isn't an unrealistic goal. However, Shipp is still arguably a better back.

I will admit shamelessly I was 100% against Green's decision to start Smith over Shipp, because Shipp had proved everything to me, Smith had proved nothing (recently of course). But now, I'm right on the balancing point between whether I would still want Shipp in there. Smith will help me determine my position in the following weeks. What do you guys think? (nullifying the fact that Shipp is on IR)

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
brandon said:
Emmitt has had an awesome season thus far. 1000 yards isn't an unrealistic goal. However, Shipp is still arguably a better back.

I will admit shamelessly I was 100% against Green's decision to start Smith over Shipp, because Shipp had proved everything to me, Smith had proved nothing (recently of course). But now, I'm right on the balancing point between whether I would still want Shipp in there. Smith will help me determine my position in the following weeks. What do you guys think? (nullifying the fact that Shipp is on IR)

The Cardinals honestly need to use there #1 pick next year on a franchise RB-a true home-run hitter. They lack that right now big time. Emmitt has been a great surprise (I feel he will get the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award)and I would welcome him back as the #2 RB next season along with Hambrick or Shipp.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

OP
OP
B

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
AZCardsWin said:
The Cardinals honestly need to use there #1 pick next year on a franchise RB-a true home-run hitter. They lack that right now big time. Emmitt has been a great surprise (I feel he will get the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award)and I would welcome him back as the #2 RB next season along with Hambrick or Shipp.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

When's the last time we drafted a RB? The last 1000yrd rusher we had was Adrian Murrell back in '98.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
brandon said:
When's the last time we drafted a RB? The last 1000yrd rusher we had was Adrian Murrell back in '98.

Bradon,
Great point. In 2005 it's time to have a franchise back or trade for one (T.Henry)
I say this taking nothing away from the nice season Emmitt is having! But we need a home run RB that can change the game on ANY given play.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emmitt has had a great first 7 games that is no doubt. But he still isnt as quick, or as strong as a healthy Marcell Shipp. Shipp would have at least 150 yards more rushing than Emmitt already has IMO just from an age standpoint alone. Shipp is easily a better reciever out of the backfield as well.

Im happy for Emmitt and glad we have him now! But its a no brainer I would rather have the tugboat starting full time!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
brandon said:

Uh, remember a guy named Thomas Jones? The guy picked after Jamal Lewis and before Shaun Alexander? Ouch...

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Michael Bennett or Travis Henry would look good in Cardinal red. Use the #1
in another area of need. Both of these players are already proven, unlike a
draft pick.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
What round pick would you give for Henry or Bennet. There is now way I would give up the #1. This might make for a good topic. I say a 3rd. I kind of want Bennet more, even though he is injury prone.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
What round pick would you give for Henry or Bennet. There is now way I would give up the #1. This might make for a good topic. I say a 3rd. I kind of want Bennet more, even though he is injury prone.

Rather have Henry! I would give up a 3rd and a 6th.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Henry is a free agent next year..... :trout:

Yeah, but he might want us to give him a 3rd and a 6th. Players have all kinds of crazy demands. :shrug:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
brandon said:

What a great question. We all saw the way Shipp ran last year. Like a poor mans earl campbell.

But Emmitt has shown the ability to take it to the house. Thats what I really like about him.

I would actually say they are pretty equal right now. Maybe a slight edge to smith because he's a little better in the passing game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I don't think that's right - are you sure about that?

Salisbury said so on ESPN tonight. Said he would be the odd man out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buckybird said:
Salisbury said so on ESPN tonight. Said he would be the odd man out.

yeah - but does that mean he's goinhg to be traded, cut, what?

His injuries scare me - he's really only had one full healthy season - granted he was a stud in it - but that's one out of three - not great percentages.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Assface said:
Yeah, but he might want us to give him a 3rd and a 6th. Players have all kinds of crazy demands. :shrug:

Yeah, Henry signs with us, but gets to pick the third and sixth round pick....that would be an interesting angle.....we need to convince some players to let us be their agents, so we can negotiate this new angle....it has promise... :thumbup:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Henry is a FA in 2005. He signed a one year extension awhile ago.

I would love to have him. We need a stud RB. Badly. So very badly.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Bennett isn't a free agent after this season, but is likely to be traded.

Shaun Alexander, Edgarrin James, Travis Henry and Rudi Johnson are all free agents after this season. Plus the draft is pretty decent at RB this year.

With Shipp signed for another three years (including this one) I would stay away from Travis Henry and Rudi Johnson. They are both similar to Shipp in running style and I don't think the millions of $ you have spent on signing them can be justified by the slight increase in quality from Shipp.

Shaun Alexander and Edge are franchise RBs and come with a huge price-tag. Again given Shipp's running style I would prefer Edge over Alexander, because he'll be cheaper and is a better fit for Green's system.

But, the most realistic scenario IMO is trading for Bennett. Bennett seem like the odd man out in Minnesota, he fits the system, was drafted by Green and his speed would be a nice complement to Shipp's more powerful running style. With the good supply of RBs in free agency and the draft it probably wouldn't be that expensive trading for Bennett (My guess is a 2nd rounder), and given Bennett's limited playing time this year he probably wouldn't demand such a huge contract (I think he only has one year left on his deal and should get a new long-term contract).

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Cards could coordinate Shipp/Bennett's injuries you MAY have 1 good running back for half a season. Neither one of those guys are what you could call durable IMO. I'd like to see them draft a quality RB myself and see what happens.