Healthy Warner or not, start Leinart next week

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Since we don't know the full extent of Kurt's injury, I say that we sit him next week vs. the Titans. Two reasons behind it:

1. We can finally see what we have in Matt Leinart. The Titans aren't exactly world beaters and despite their win streak, they are still very beatable and similar to the Rams in terms of makeup. Why not give Leinart a full week to prepare as a starter and see what he can actually do in a sink or swim situation? I wasn't impressed with Leinart today. He played skittish and he sailed a few balls, but he did show some flashes and Whisenhunt's playcalling suggested that he didn't want him to make a play.

2. I want to see Kurt Warner healthy against Brett Favre and the Vikings. This would be our toughest game of the season (and a preview of the playoffs) and if Warner is healthy this will definitely be a game we can win. I don't want to see a dinged up Warner against that team because that is when the turnovers come.

The optimist in me says we come out 8-4 regardless, so why not see what he can do for a full game one last time?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree.
A full week of prep with the first teamers wouldn't hurt and couldn't make scouting for the Texans any easier.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Since we don't know the full extent of Kurt's injury, I say that we sit him next week vs. the Titans. Two reasons behind it:

1. We can finally see what we have in Matt Leinart. The Titans aren't exactly world beaters and despite their win streak, they are still very beatable and similar to the Rams in terms of makeup. Why not give Leinart a full week to prepare as a starter and see what he can actually do in a sink or swim situation? I wasn't impressed with Leinart today. He played skittish and he sailed a few balls, but he did show some flashes and Whisenhunt's playcalling suggested that he didn't want him to make a play.

2. I want to see Kurt Warner healthy against Brett Favre and the Vikings. This would be our toughest game of the season (and a preview of the playoffs) and if Warner is healthy this will definitely be a game we can win. I don't want to see a dinged up Warner against that team because that is when the turnovers come.

The optimist in me says we come out 8-4 regardless, so why not see what he can do for a full game one last time?

Shogun, I love ya, but no more drinking after halftime for you mister...:D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If he has a concussion (which I'm sure he does after sitting out), Matt should play.
Anyone remember what happened to Brian Westbrook last week?

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
After watching "Matty" play today, I want to see ST Pierre...

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I say if Kurt can go, play him... If Matt were to play like today than there will be too many 3 and outs. The defense would tire out and Chris Johnson would eat us a live... Find out about Matt after we wrap up the West.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Warner is healthy I want him in there. I hope the decision is made early in the week though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell no. If Kurt can go, he starts period. This isn't the time to be experimenting for the future. That's what losers might do this time of year, not teams leading their division.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Warner is the starter and if he is cleared to play, you let him play. He already stated that he feels fine and he looked fine on the sidelines.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching "Matty" play today, I want to see ST Pierre...

I really hope that was a joke. Lets put the guy that could not even beat Matt out against second and third stringers. :mulli:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think the switching between righty and lefty is a much bigger thing than anybody lets on.

I'm not sayin he'd have a great game but we'd get a much better idea of what ML can do if he had a whole week to prepare with the first unit and the OC developed a game plan that utilized his talents instead of Kurt's.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No way would I look at this game as a experiement to see what leinart will do. if anything you know that there is a great chance of losing with matt as the starter. the titans have found new life and in recent weeks look nothing like the team they were a month ago. I would go with your best QB if he is healthy and the cards should be favored to win. this is the NFL not a league to experiment when the season is hanging in the ballot.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't risk the season by playing your QB with even a hint of post concussion syndrome. Another blow to the head and he could be gone for a long time.

This isn't about Leinart, it is about Kurt.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the switching between righty and lefty is a much bigger thing than anybody lets on.

I don't know, Kurt threw one lefty and Matt threw one righty, seemed to work out ok.

:D

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I'm fine with starting Leinart if Warner isn't cleared to play or in the final few weeks with nothing on the line. I'm not sure doing it now with things still up in the air is the right thing to do.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The thread title is a bit ill named IMO.

Healthy means healthy as in fine, as in no freaking way we play Matt now.

I think a better way of saying it is even if Kurt feels fine, Matt should start and in this case I'd agree unless a really thorough med exam is done and clears him of any post concussion problems.

Even if you feel fine the brain may not be "normally" sitting in your head for a couple of weeks and it's not that it's going to long term do you any harm in itself it's that if you get another one it can be orders of magnitude worse than it would be if you were fully healed.

So unless they can rule out that I wouldn't risk it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't risk the season by playing your QB with even a hint of post concussion syndrome. Another blow to the head and he could be gone for a long time.

This isn't about Leinart, it is about Kurt.

He may not have even a hint of post concussion syndrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05