Healthy Warner or not, start Leinart next week

DS_Whit

Rookie
Reaction score
There are a lot of great points presented in this thread. I think that "it is not about Matt, it is about Kurt." is the best though. I was really trying to take a look at Kurt while he was on the sideline. His spirits were high, he was coaching, he was joking with Whiz and other coaches also.

I think that all of us are jumping to conclusions about a concussion, especially since the full med report has not been released. Looking at the replay that Fox was showing, there is a very strong possibility that it was a stinger. Kurt hit his head, but it did not seem hard enough to warrant a concussion, but then again this is just my opinion. They could have been taking him into the locker room for an x-ray to determine a pinched nerve in his neck. It could be anything.

If there are any signs concussion, sit him. The Minnesota game is far more important than a trip to Tennessee. If there are no signs of concussion, play him. Keeping the first team in synch is a priority and having the momentum going into the Vikings game is paramount.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You don't risk the season by playing your QB with even a hint of post concussion syndrome. Another blow to the head and he could be gone for a long time.

This isn't about Leinart, it is about Kurt.
The title says "healty Warner or not"... of course, if he is not healthy, he is going to sit. The reaction has been to the first part mostly. So, let me clarify... "If Warner is healthy and cleared to play, there is no freakn' way we need to experiment with Leinart"!!

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Unless you are playing a meaningless game I don't understand why anyone would play a backup when a starter is healthy. You put the players that give you the best shot at winning on the field. Period. Thats it, end of story.

Why stop with Matt? Why not put in Wright and sit Wells or Hightower? Early is in and Fitz is out. Hey, Levi. Grab some pine, we want to see what Herman Johnson can do.

:mulli:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That shuffle pass by Leinart before the end of the first half did not instill confidence in his decision making. The Cardinals were lucky it didn't cost them.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there are any problems at all with Kurt as far as a concussion goes, you sit him. Of course. But if he's healthy and all the tests come out OK you play him. (And he'll want to play.)

The future is now.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
If Kurt can take the practice reps with the 1st unit then he goes. If not, coaches call on if Matt prepared enough to play. He hasen't in the backup role...he has sucked. Winning this game makes things easier. Need to go with best guy. And that would be who gets the reps and prepares to win.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If there are any problems at all with Kurt as far as a concussion goes, you sit him. Of course. But if he's healthy and all the tests come out OK you play him. (And he'll want to play.)

The future is now.

That's been my thought process since Whis announced Kurt as the starter before the 2008 season started. The window doesn't stay open that long in the NFL, and I expect SF, SEA and STL to further improve in the upcoming offseason with very high draft choices.

The only time I rest Kurt is the final game if it can't change the playoff seeding. Yeah, I know, "Playoffs!?! You're talking about playoffs? Playoffs!?!"

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Since we don't know the full extent of Kurt's injury, I say that we sit him next week vs. the Titans. Two reasons behind it:

1. We can finally see what we have in Matt Leinart. The Titans aren't exactly world beaters and despite their win streak, they are still very beatable and similar to the Rams in terms of makeup. Why not give Leinart a full week to prepare as a starter and see what he can actually do in a sink or swim situation? I wasn't impressed with Leinart today. He played skittish and he sailed a few balls, but he did show some flashes and Whisenhunt's playcalling suggested that he didn't want him to make a play.

2. I want to see Kurt Warner healthy against Brett Favre and the Vikings. This would be our toughest game of the season (and a preview of the playoffs) and if Warner is healthy this will definitely be a game we can win. I don't want to see a dinged up Warner against that team because that is when the turnovers come.

The optimist in me says we come out 8-4 regardless, so why not see what he can do for a full game one last time?

If Kurt is healthy you start him. We are on a roll and Kurt, the receivers, and RB's are all on a roll. We have momentum at the right time and need to keep it. Now is not the time to experiment with Matt. The Titans are back now and playing like they are supposed to play. It will be a tough game even with Kurt and the rest of the offense playing at a high level. Forget the Titans record as that is not indicative of the way they are playing now. We could loss all momentum if Matt starts and we lose. I think even the people on the board with go berserk.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If he has a concussion (which I'm sure he does after sitting out), Matt should play.
Anyone remember what happened to Brian Westbrook last week?

I am confident that Kurt, his Doctor, and the Whiz will do the right thing for Kurt and not take any risk. If they all agree he will start. If there is any doubt at all he will not start and I certainly would concur. I certainly would not sit him or anyone else just for rest or to see what Matt can do. We have not clinched the division yet and we want to enter the play offs just like we did last year. On a roll with everything clicking a all healthy. Lose Matt or Fitz and we are out of the playoffs very early. When did we last win the division two years in a row?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Warner can play, you obviously start Warner. Being in the playoff race and looking for wins to establish your position in post season is not the time to see what you have for the future because currently the future is NOW. As far as Leinart being a bad QB, one should consider that the guy did not practice much with the first team offense for this game and was sent in to play a conservative game with the lead. His stats did not suggest he stunk it up and where solid considering this. He did something which was required of him...take time off the clock and did not turn over the ball, enough said.

OP
OP
Shogun

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Kurt was cleared, but still wasn't ready to go. Now we're throwing Matt Leinart out there today with limited reps with the first team against a hot team. :(

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Kurt was cleared, but still wasn't ready to go. Now we're throwing Matt Leinart out there today with limited reps with the first team against a hot team. :(

Thats why Wiz should have split the reps this week because the chances are he could get hurt again with this type of injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05