henry news on espn insider

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Travis Henry
BillsCardinalsMar. 26 - The Cardinals have emerged as the favorite to land disgruntled Bills' running back Travis Henry, the East Valley Tribune reports. Henry said this week it is the Bills who are holding up a straight-up swap between Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton. Henry insisted he will never play for Buffalo again, which has taken any leverage the Bills might have had in trade talks.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
scot182 said:
You must be registered for see images

Travis Henry
BillsCardinalsMar. 26 - The Cardinals have emerged as the favorite to land disgruntled Bills' running back Travis Henry, the East Valley Tribune reports. Henry said this week it is the Bills who are holding up a straight-up swap between Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton. Henry insisted he will never play for Buffalo again, which has taken any leverage the Bills might have had in trade talks.

Holding out hope for Henry... (fingers crossed)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I know a lot of you are high on the prospect of landing Travis Henry but aren't there couple of inherent drawbacks to actually acquiring him? One of his advertised strengths is his ability to play hurt. It sounds nice and heroic but the frequency of his injuries have been increasing over the last couple of years and I don't imagine they will decrease with age.

Secondly, and more importantly, does he really posess the personality and/or presence that Cardinals fans would want? He seems to be a "me-first" type of guy and quite possibly could become a distraction or cancer. Is the contract that he demands worth the possible short-term fix that he may not even provide if he get's injured again?

I don't know a lot about Henry and my perceptions may be off base but I don't have a good feeling about the Cardinals committing to him. If it was left up to me, I would do everything I could to develop Shipp and Hambrick and spend the money/draft picks somewhere else on the team. The Cardinals seemed to be very close on offense last year and I think the addition of Warner at qb will keep teams off-balance to the point of the running game moving to the next level.

As popular and athletic that McCown might be, his accuracy and decision making really held the Cardinals back in my opinion. Warner may not be Joe Montana but I think he's so much more accurate than McCown that the switch at qb will make the offense seem like night and day. If defenses aren't allowed to sit on the run, and Emmitt Smith moving on, I think the Card's are in store for a huge upgrade in scoring td's. Utilize the cap space in other ways and don't waste it on a rb who has question marks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Utilize the cap space in other ways and don't waste it on a rb who has question marks.

...A guy coming back from a completely gruesome injury that he may never come back from, a guy who couldn't break 1,000 yards in Dallas, and the rest of our lackluster running back stable isn't enough of a question mark for you? Even with a rookie back, we couldn't be sure he wouldn't be a bust. We don't have a great history with backs here. And you're saying a guy who has broken the 1,300 yard mark before has question marks? I understand the argument that he might not be fast enough to be an optimal back for Denny's offense, but your logic doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction score
I feel like this, trade for Henry, if he pans out then sign him to a long term deal, if he flops don't resign him and look for a back next year in free agency or draft.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I think we should see if Caddy is there before anymore talk about Henry. If Caddy does not slip through then I would offer them Shelton and that is it. at this point with the glut of RB's, they should be giving us there 3rd and Henry

rtjim

Registered
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
I think we should see if Caddy is there before anymore talk about Henry. If Caddy does not slip through then I would offer them Shelton and that is it. at this point with the glut of RB's, they should be giving us there 3rd and Henry

If they wont take that deal now what makes you think they will take it then? If we wait to see if a back drops to us in the draft and one doesn't then the tables would turn and they would have the upper hand. We would have to give them LJ and possibly one of our 3rds.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Henry was a fan favorite and an outstanding teammate. He is in the final year of his contract with a team that really doesn't want him. I can understand his situation. If McGahhee had never recovered from his knee injury the Bills wouldn't dream of trading him.

He is still young at 26 yrs old. In his first 3 years he had over 3500 yds and 30 tds (3 receiving). Last year was his only down year and maybe thats all the more reason to consider this guy....he only had 94 carries last year. Think he might be fresh?

Travis Henry is a bonofide NFL running back. He would give our running game instant respect. More importantly he could plug a big hole and allow us to take a cb like Rolle or Jones with the 8th pick.

He wants out of Buffalo and from what I've read he is willing to play under his current contract. What the hell would we have to lose beside Shelton who already has his bags packed.

I would still draft a rb in the 2nd round IF, (I reapeat), IF a guy like Arrington, Fason or Morency was still there. Not only would that give us a great stable of rb's, it would prevent us from being painted into a corner next year at this time.

The Vikings have Bennett, Smith, Moore and Williams. The Broncos have Griffith, Droughns, and Bell. My point is you can't have to many. If Marcell Shipp was 100 % recovered I would not be as worried about the rb situation as I am.

Henry may not be the perfect fit for us but at the risk is so minimal and the benefits and reward could be quite high. In reality, the biggest reason this deal hasn't happened is because we have a slew of options. As we get closer to the draft and the rankings become more solidified we will all get a better idea of what is going to shake out.

We may very well wait until AFTER our 1st pick of the draft to obtain Henry. If Brown or Williams fall to us at #8 this trade would become a mute point.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I know a lot of you are high on the prospect of landing Travis Henry but aren't there couple of inherent drawbacks to actually acquiring him? One of his advertised strengths is his ability to play hurt. It sounds nice and heroic but the frequency of his injuries have been increasing over the last couple of years and I don't imagine they will decrease with age.

Secondly, and more importantly, does he really posess the personality and/or presence that Cardinals fans would want? He seems to be a "me-first" type of guy and quite possibly could become a distraction or cancer. Is the contract that he demands worth the possible short-term fix that he may not even provide if he get's injured again?

I don't know a lot about Henry and my perceptions may be off base but I don't have a good feeling about the Cardinals committing to him. If it was left up to me, I would do everything I could to develop Shipp and Hambrick and spend the money/draft picks somewhere else on the team. The Cardinals seemed to be very close on offense last year and I think the addition of Warner at qb will keep teams off-balance to the point of the running game moving to the next level.

As popular and athletic that McCown might be, his accuracy and decision making really held the Cardinals back in my opinion. Warner may not be Joe Montana but I think he's so much more accurate than McCown that the switch at qb will make the offense seem like night and day. If defenses aren't allowed to sit on the run, and Emmitt Smith moving on, I think the Card's are in store for a huge upgrade in scoring td's. Utilize the cap space in other ways and don't waste it on a rb who has question marks.

I think Henry's attitude is do to the fact that he gained 1300+ yards in 2 straight seasons, only to see his team draft a RB in the 1st round. I've never heard any of the Buffalo players complain about him, or say that they didn't want him back on the team. He seems to be a player that's very confident in his abilities. As for his injuries...that's a crapshoot. Maybe playing on grass will help him out and keep him injury free???? I don't know.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Henry is getting the rap for being injury prone. Even Cory Dillon missed a couple of games last year.

Bennett, although he may be a better fit for us, would be considered injury prone.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Cards have three ideal options. Here are my thoughts, I like #3.:

Option A - no trades

Round 1: Brown or Williams (RB)
Round 2: CB
Round 3: CB
Round 4: OL
Round 5: DT
Round 7: Maurice Clarett

Option B - trade Shelton for Henry after 1st round pick selected

Round 1: Rolle, Pac-Man, or Rogers (CB)
Round 2: DT
Round 4: OL
Round 5: LB
Round 7: OL

Option C - trade Shelton for Henry after 1st round pick selected

Round 1: Johnson (LB)
Round 2: trade pick to Miami for Surtain
Round 4: DT
Round 5: OL
Round 7: Muarice Clarett

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I don't know why Henry is getting the rap for being injury prone. Even Cory Dillon missed a couple of games last year.

Bennett, although he may be a better fit for us, would be considered injury prone.

He gets a rap for being injury prone because they don't understand that the vast majority of football injuries, unlike baseball injuries, are freak collision injuries as opposed to repetitive motion injuries. In that respect, you can't really be "injury prone" in the NFL unless it's specific injury that occurs due to overuse, not trauma.

Here's an interview here with a guy who writes about injuries for Baseball Prospectus, the last question in the interview asks about being "injury prone". Looking at Henry, he had a sprained knee in 2001, injuries chest/ribs in 2003 and foot/ankle in 2004. No repeating of injuries, just a bunch of bang ups.

Ladainian Tomlinson has had injuries to his foot, toe, hip, ankle, thigh, shoulder, calf and groin in his career so far.

James list of injuries is longer than Henry's.

Carnell Williams has had a fractured leg, a sprained ankle, and a fractured clavicle in college.

Cedric Benson played most of 2002 with cracked ribs and turf toe (sound familiar?).

Ronnie Brown, turf toe, shoulder sprain, right ankle sprain, a right knee medial collateral ligament strain, a right quadriceps contusion, a right hamstring pull (2003), and a right hamstring pull (2004).

Golly folks, it's almost like being a running back puts you at risk for being dinged up. I for one, am shocked at this development.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hold up is reported to be our reluctance to swap our #44 for Buffalo's #55. (I think Shelton for Henry straight up is a fair deal and feel the swap of 2nd round picks makes the deal lopsided in their favor).

But I do think the deal would be more balanced if we either (a) swapped our 3a (#75) for Buffalo's 3 (#86) instead swapping in the 2nd round or (b) added to the second round swap a 3rd round "reverse" swap of our 3b (#95) for Buffalo's 3 (#86)

spanky1

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The hold up is reported to be our reluctance to swap our #44 for Buffalo's #55. (I think Shelton for Henry straight up is a fair deal and feel the swap of 2nd round picks makes the deal lopsided in their favor).

But I do think the deal would be more balanced if we either (a) swapped our 3a (#75) for Buffalo's 3 (#86) instead swapping in the 2nd round or (b) added to the second round swap a 3rd round "reverse" swap of our 3b (#95) for Buffalo's 3 (#86)

Jeff,

For the life of me, I can't understand why we need to "sweeten the pot" with swaps of draft picks. Unless I'm missing something, Buffalo have ZERO leverage here........Henry sits out until game #9 for sure and then is a FA next year.......and the Bills REALLY need a LT, especially one that is locked up for four years to a cap friendly deal.

Do you really feel that we need to sweeten the deal?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
since this a thread about travis henry, i will give my 2 cents worth on the subject. henry would be a great addition to the cardinals organzation. he the total package coming out of the backfield. someone mentioned his attitude throwd the bills. i pretty sure you would be upset if your decided to replace you after you have been doing an excellent job for them. that is a slap in the face. i have said this on other message boards. as long as the back produces then i am all for it.

what does everyone think about eric shelton out of louisville. their is one more guy out of memphis. i don't know his name and i can't find it anywhere. memphis runs a spread offense and would be great for the cardinals offense. shelton played in a simular offense in louisville. he 10 times the running back what hambrick is. i wouldn't mind shelton in the second.

OP
OP
S

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
their is one more guy out of memphis= DeAngelo Williams

isnt he the guy that broke his leg in the bowl game?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
You guys bring up some interesting and insightful points and I admit I must rely on those who are more familiar with Henry in regards to who and what he is. I agree that he would be an upgrade over anyone the Cardinals had last year even though I'm skeptical of his abilities.

Some have mentioned his yardage totals as an indicator but I'm more inclined to go with his ypc. 4.0 for his career isn't bad at all and I suppose a different system might allow him to really blossom. I still just can't shake this feeling of him being a bad fit. Time will tell.

As for the Bills wanting to exchange 2nd round picks as part of the deal, I'm pretty sure they don't have a 1st round selection so they want to move as high up in the 2nd as possible for their initial pick. I think Mike Mayock said something to that effect on NFL playbook so forgive me if it's inaccurate.

OP
OP
S

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
i was reading what the bills fans thought about this at thier site and they all think that they have the upper hand in the deal and are already counting on us switching 2nd rd picks with them. they are saying that there are no rbs for us.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
They should have done the player for player when they had the chance, they have no leverage here. Shelton can still stay and play here with the Cards if he is not traded plus Shelton has a much better deal as someone mentioned. I would much rather trade a 3rd to MIN for Bennett.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
it is all banter and fodder. Swapping seconds means you think Henry is worth more than Shelton. Now, he may be a better player, but his value is negated by the ease of finding a RB and the availability of them. The bills are on crack and will fold, just like they did when they wanted Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman. They talk talk talk, then give in on draft day. No worries.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
You're onto it Chris. :thumbup:

If the Bills honestly think we can't find a RB in the draft they are quite possibly the dumbest FO in the NFL.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Titans | May be Forced to Select OT Early in Draft - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:36:37 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans have a sense of urgency when it comes to improving their offensive tackle position this year and they are likely going to be forced to pursue the position early in the NFL Draft. Team GM Floyd Reese said the team may have to use their sixth-overall selection on the position.

Lets give the Titans a call and pitch them this idea.

We will send them Shelton who would be a cheaper alternative to their OT worries then a #6 pick, let them restock another position that has been torn apart due to cuts with the #6 pick and have a lower rookie cap by giving us their #37 pick which is fine becuase they can still reload with talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds with the 4 picks they have in those rounds because of the comp picks they got. :thumbup:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Lets give the Titans a call and pitch them this idea.

We will send them Shelton who would be a cheaper alternative to their OT worries then a #6 pick, let them restock another position that has been torn apart due to cuts with the #6 pick and have a lower rookie cap by giving us their #37 pick which is fine becuase they can still reload with talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds with the 4 picks they have in those rounds because of the comp picks they got. :thumbup:

Good idea joe as long as they don't then use the #6 pick for a RB or CB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan