henry news on espn insider

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Bills' Mularkey wants disgruntled RB Henry to report
March 24, 2005 3:45PM

Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey expects disgruntled running back Travis Henry to report for training camp if the team fails to meet his trade demand.

Henry, who has one year left on his contract, said this week he intends to sit out until the Bills trade him. The former starter is not willing to return to Buffalo after losing his job to Willis McGahee last season.

"I know he's frustrated," Mularkey told reporters during the NFL owners meetings in Hawaii this week. "We have done everything we can to really honor his request for a trade. ... If it doesn't happen, Travis has a contract with us and is required to be here when camps come around. But I think there's still time."

Henry said he is particularly frustrated that the Bills rejected Arizona's offer to acquire him in a deal that would send starting tackle L.J. Shelton to Buffalo. But Mularkey said the team would have to get more than Shelton to make the deal worthwhile.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, maintains that a deal for Shelton is a fair one, considering the Bills are in need of a starting tackle after losing Jonas Jennings, a free agent who signed with San Francisco earlier this month.

Engelhard noted that Shelton has 77 career starts, 25 more than Jennings, and that he comes relatively cheap, having four years left on a contract that is to pay him $3 million a season.

Without revealing his next step, Engelhard said: "You can quote me on this. As time goes on, it's only going to get uglier."

With or without Henry, Mularkey said he's comfortable with his offensive backfield which, after McGahee, is currently rounded out with Shaud Williams, who appeared in four games last year, recently re-signed backup Joe Burns and Dante Brown, whom the Bills signed to their practice squad late last season.

Mularkey suggested that he might address his offensive line needs from within. He has already discussed with center Trey Teague the possibility of switching him to left tackle -- a position Teague played at Denver before signing with Buffalo in 2002.

Another candidate at left tackle is Mike Gandy, a veteran free agent the Bills signed earlier this month.

Mularkey doesn't consider shifting right tackle Mike Williams to the left side as a permanent option. The No. 4 overall pick in the 2002 draft, Williams has started 42 games on the right side for Buffalo.

"I think his forte is right tackle," Mularkey said. "I'd like to see him continue on like he did last year when he finished strong."

Mularkey also defended his decision to promote J.P. Losman to starter last month, a move that led to the team releasing veteran quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who has since signed with Dallas.

Losman is the second of Buffalo's two first-round draft picks in 2004, and was limited to four mop-up appearances after missing the first half of last season with a broken left leg.

Mularkey is impressed by how determined Losman has been, spending the last two months at the team's headquarters working out, studying his position and learning the Bills playbook.

"He's in there on his own, which to me speaks volumes of his desire," Mularkey said. "Whether he gets it done or not, I know at least that he's going to try. I think by the time camp comes around, you'll see teammates that were maybe on the fence one way or the other come around and will have open arms toward him."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/03/24/bc.fbn.bills.mularkeybj.ap/index.html

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
What i get from reading through this thread is that fans of both teams probably overrate their players values. To me it's a trade of 2 players that have no "real" value to their current team yet have value to the team they'd be traded to.So, why should one team, this time it being the Cards, have to give up more to get the trade done? To me,it's a straight up trade or no trade. THe Cards could have just as easily asked for more.I'm sure Buffalo wouldn't agree to it.So why should the Cards?

Well said Cbus. Just do the trade. The Bills will love Shelton at LT and we'll rave over Henry.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This trade, if it's ever going to happen, might very well happen right after the Cards 1st pick.

If the rb they really want( whoever that may be) is there at #8, the Cards grab him and move on. If the rb they desire is gone, we take a cb ( whoever that may be) then call the Bills and make the trade.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I hope the Cards are having talks with other teams like Tennesse and Houston and I hope it goes public. Shelton must look pretty good to other teams that want a solid LT that can step in and start right away at his salary. There is no one like that that will be released or available in the draft. Shelton may be expendable due to Big taking his spot, but that doesn't take away his value. In fact his contract increases his value. Remember he was a solid OL on teams that that had horrific line coaches. Despite them. Green's not looking to trade him because of his skill, but rather LJ not buying into his system. Until Henry signs long term, his contract actually diminishes his trade value.

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
CardShark said:
I hope the Cards are having talks with other teams like Tennesse and Houston and I hope it goes public. Shelton must look pretty good to other teams that want a solid LT that can step in and start right away at his salary. There is no one like that that will be released or available in the draft. Shelton may be expendable due to Big taking his spot, but that doesn't take away his value. In fact his contract increases his value. Remember he was a solid OL on teams that that had horrific line coaches. Despite them. Green's not looking to trade him because of his skill, but rather LJ not buying into his system. Until Henry signs long term, his contract actually diminishes his trade value.
Hi there, another Bills fan. If Shelton's so good, why isn't he starting in freaking Arizona? No offense, but teams don't exactly seem to beating down the door for him right now. Henry's not drawing a lot of interest either, so I'll be this trade gets done on draft day if not before, and I'd bet our GM gets just a bit more than Shelton for Henry. TD always seems to get more than he gives, and I've got a funny feeling that Denny's gonna cave, especially if his stud isn't there at #8. You should draft a corner at 8 anyway. You're secondary needs the help more than your running game!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Hi there, another Bills fan. If Shelton's so good, why isn't he starting in freaking Arizona? No offense, but teams don't exactly seem to beating down the door for him right now.

And the exact same doesn't apply to Henry? We have better options. You have better options. But, unlike you, we have a place for LJ. Henry won't be playing for you. With a super saturated RB pool, and not many serviceable LTs on the market, I think an even trade is more than fair.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Hi there, another Bills fan. If Shelton's so good, why isn't he starting in freaking Arizona?

He was until he asked to be traded.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Hi there, another Bills fan. If Shelton's so good, why isn't he starting in freaking Arizona? No offense, but teams don't exactly seem to beating down the door for him right now. Henry's not drawing a lot of interest either, so I'll be this trade gets done on draft day if not before, and I'd bet our GM gets just a bit more than Shelton for Henry. TD always seems to get more than he gives, and I've got a funny feeling that Denny's gonna cave, especially if his stud isn't there at #8. You should draft a corner at 8 anyway. You're secondary needs the help more than your running game!

For 1 , we got bank invested in Big Davis. So he's playing the position he ought to be.

LJ could still wind up at both backup Ot spots or a starter at RT if Bridges at RG doesn't work out. Then Oliver Ross would move to RG where he's played as well. Shelton gives our line alot of flexability and good depth. I'd say you need that in todays NFL. Can't have enough good OLmen.

2- Our RB's are servicable and there are plenty in this draft.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
Hi there, another Bills fan. If Shelton's so good, why isn't he starting in freaking Arizona?
Well, for the same reason Henry isn't starting in Buffalo....

LJ is a very capable starting LT, but the Cards decided to draft Leonard Davis because he has a bigger upside - just like Buffalo drafted McGahee.

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
bills_phan said:

He came into camp out of shape due to surgery. He started at RT before getting injured and being placed on IR. He isn't starting at LT due Davis upside at playing the postion.

and I'd bet our GM gets just a bit more than Shelton for Henry.

Based on what exactly?

Every article that has discussed this issue states that AZ is the ONLY team that has contacted Buffalo in regards to Henry. AZ has atleast had intreast from other teams for Sheltons services. So what makes you so sure that you will get a bit more than Shelton?

Your postion doesn't hold alot of leverage considering how Henry has vocalised his displeasure at the way things have been handled by Buffalo.

As Joe put it, this is a buyers market for a RB. But a sellers market for T's because there are few avaliable. Your not going to find many LT's avaliable of Sheltons ability for 3mil a year.

TD always seems to get more than he gives, and I've got a funny feeling that Denny's gonna cave, especially if his stud isn't there at #8.

Even IF Brown, Benson or Williams aren't there at #8 (which is a big if at the moment) there are some damn fine prospects such as JJ Arington that can be picked up in the 2nd round.

You should draft a corner at 8 anyway. You're secondary needs the help more than your running game!

We had the 11th ranked pass defense with virtual nobodys back there. We don't need superstars back there with the pressure we can put on the QB.

Last edited:

PIZ

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
denny doesn't draft ki-jana's. his offensive draft selections have all been good bets - robert smith, daunte culpepper, randy moss, michael bennett - dude's proven he knows offensive talent.

i'd like to trade for henry, but this ain't the old cards that get bent over in trades anymore.

Denny definitely knows what's going on, but he did draft Demetrius Underwood in the first round.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Dangers of Hubris

I say screw them! Let them keep Henry on the bench all season.
Let's back away for a second and review Dennis Green's MO (at least as I see) it.

His moves ever since he came here have always carried with them one consistent thread: a willingness - brutal at times - to do anything if it will improve our football team - no matter whether this means cutting a popular dude like Kendall or jettisoning or demoting a former high draft pick.

If he feels bringing in Henry will help our team and Shelton is irrelevent to the team's plans for next season, the core of the trade becomes a no-brainer and the issue is narrowed to: "is Henry (less Shelton) worth our dropping 11 notches in the 2nd round?"

It's as simple as that.

But it needn't be a simple "yes or no." There's always room to respond with a counter offer - i.e. forget about swapping our 2nd round picks, but how about swapping 3rd round picks instead? Or working a "reverse swap" in a subsequent round in order to balance things out a bit.

But all of this should be done coldly, and without worrying about whether we'll look bad or are being taken advantage of. Either the deal helps us or it doesn't. That's ALL that matters.

seesred

Reaction score
To Mr. from Buffalo. Henry has been a solid back for you , but is finished playing for the Bills. He is a starting RB. LJ can be a good starting left tackle or right. If your team doesn't want him why call? How much difference does it make holding out for a few spots in the draft. Whoever your looking at in that spot may not even be there. THe trade as I see it is one potential good starter for another. Do the deal and make everyone happy.

Welcome to the board. Come anytime you like. I Hope we can get a CB in the first and a RB in the second if the Henry deal doesn"t get done. And, you can just switch linemen all over the field.

GBR

rtjim

Registered
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
This trade, if it's ever going to happen, might very well happen right after the Cards 1st pick.

If the rb they really want( whoever that may be) is there at #8, the Cards grab him and move on. If the rb they desire is gone, we take a cb ( whoever that may be) then call the Bills and make the trade.

Don't any of you think that if it gets to that point that the Bills will want even more because our options will then be fewer?

PIZ

Reaction score
rtjim said:
Don't any of you think that if it gets to that point that the Bills will want even more because our options will then be fewer?

YES!!!! Swap 2nds and 3rds?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Don't count on Donahoe caving in. The man is shrewd and will not trade Henry to Arizona without the swap just to prove a point. Don't count on the Bills trading Henry without the swap because they do have options at LT besides Shelton. Teague can play LT. Mike Williams can play LT. There will be June 1st cuts. Don't get me wrong, Shelton would be the ideal situation, but he's not the Bills only option.

By the way, I am a Bills fan.

The leverage is that Henry will not play for you. Dead money. He either takes up a spot or you cut him. The Cards do not have to do the same with Shelton. Heck, alot of us would not mind keeping LJ to BU the OL.

So, the Bills have to do something we don't. The offer is there. The Bills will lose Henry either way. It would just make sense to get something for him. Henry is gone already. Donahoe will come to understand that if he has not already and the only offer on the table is LJ straight up. The clock is ticking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStorm said:
The leverage is that Henry will not play for you. Dead money. He either takes up a spot or you cut him. The Cards do not have to do the same with Shelton. Heck, alot of us would not mind keeping LJ to BU the OL.

So, the Bills have to do something we don't. The offer is there. The Bills will lose Henry either way. It would just make sense to get something for him. Henry is gone already. Donahoe will come to understand that if he has not already and the only offer on the table is LJ straight up. The clock is ticking.

Yes and no, I don't for one second believe Henry would hold out all year if Buffalo didn't sign him. To my understanding, a player that holds out does not gain any "credit" towards FA. Henry is a year away from FA, so if he holds out this year he is NOT a FA, he is still one year away from FA because he has a contract he'd be refusing to honor.

So yes Henry saying I ain't playing again in Buffalo "helps" push leverage from Buffalo to us, but the fact is Buffalo still controls his fate. I have no doubt if the deal can't be done and nobody else wants Henry, Buffalo would keep him, Henry would ultimately report, and they'd play him. Let's be honest as much as I like McGahee he's had 2 ACL injuries already in his career, there's a lot of GOOD reasons why Buffalo would keep Henry as a backup this year and try to wait for a team having a major RB injury and make a deal before the trading deadline.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yes and no, I don't for one second believe Henry would hold out all year if Buffalo didn't sign him. To my understanding, a player that holds out does not gain any "credit" towards FA. Henry is a year away from FA, so if he holds out this year he is NOT a FA, he is still one year away from FA because he has a contract he'd be refusing to honor.

Nope holding out all year long isnt what Henry is thinking. His plan will be to just hold out till the 9th or 10th game (which ever it is) show up for the remianing games and still be credited for a full year and become a FA next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Nope holding out all year long isnt what Henry is thinking. His plan will be to just hold out till the 9th or 10th game (which ever it is) show up for the remianing games and still be credited for a full year and become a FA next year.

Yes but he is saying he's going to hold out, and he'll NEVER play for them again. I agree with you, he'll hold out, but ultimately report because if he truly won't play for them again, he'll stay one year from FA forever if they can't trade him and want to stick it to him.

The point was, IF Henry doesn't get traded, whether he likes it or not he's playing with Buffalo next year unless he convinces them to cut him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan