henry story in buf paper

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
i like when he says hed give us his all

Travis Henry met Corey Dillon a couple of weeks ago in Orlando, Fla.

If anybody can appreciate how the estranged Buffalo Bills running back feels, it's New England's star rusher.

"I ran into Corey, and he encouraged me," Henry said earlier this week from his Orlando home. "He told me he was in the same situation last year. It was tough. He wanted out of Cincinnati and wasn't going back. He told me I have to be patient."

Dillon got traded from the Bengals to the Patriots on April 14 last year. Henry is praying a deal happens before the NFL draft April 23. But it's not easy for him to be patient when he's hoping for the trigger to be pulled on a deal sending him to Arizona for tackle L.J. Shelton.

"I don't understand why the deal hasn't been made," Henry said. "My understanding is Arizona wants to do it player for player. There's no other holdup on their end. They don't want anything else."

Henry was referring to a comment Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe made in a radio interview two weeks ago about the Cards, at one point, seeking more in return than just Henry.

Henry likely will be on edge the next couple of weeks. There's plenty of posturing to be done before a trade is made. This is a deal that still has a chance to be made, but the likeliest time would be on draft day, when the NFL teams are on the draft clock.

Here's why it would make sense for Arizona. The Cardinals are a 6-10 team that has numerous holes. Filling its gaping running back void would allow it to address other gaps, such as cornerback, tight end, offensive tackle and defensive tackle. Arizona traded No. 1 corner Duane Starks,and No. 2 David Macklin is ordinary at best.

While Arizona could get one of the top three elite running backs in the draft when it picks No. 8 overall, teams usually can get better value with a big man or a cornerback in the first 10 picks.

Consider: Of the 29 starting running backs (minus Arizona, Miami and Tampa Bay), 19 were selected in the second round or later.

That includes Kansas City's Priest Holmes, who entered the league as a rookie free agent. Second-round draftees among the starting backs include Curtis Martin (Jets), Dillon (Pats), LaMont Jordan (Raiders), Tatum Bell (Broncos), Tiki Barber (Giants) and Clinton Portis (Redskins). Third-rounders include Duce Staley (Steelers), Domanick Davis (Texans), Brian Westbrook (Eagles), Julius Jones (Cowboys), Ahman Green (Packers), Chris Brown (Titans) and Kevan Barlow (Niners). Fourth-rounders include Rudi Johnson (Bengals), Lee Suggs (Browns) and Stephen Davis (Panthers).

Obviously, the Cards could wait until the second round and hope a J.J. Arrington of California is still around. But Henry is proven and would allow another position to be filled with a second-rounder. If the Cards don't get a back at No. 8, maybe they will be more eager to deal.

From the Bills' perspective, Shelton may or may not be the long-term answer at left tackle. Cards coach Dennis Green is a good judge of talent. He's willing to let Shelton go. But part of that is due to the fact Green's new broom is sweeping clean. As an aside, a deal may have to coincide with the reworking of Mike Williams' contract to create more cap space (which probably will happen either way). One question for the Bills is: How much better are they going to get in return for Henry in this depressed back market? "I'm preparing myself for the worst, which is not showing up and not going back there," he said. "But at the same time, I'm real excited about Arizona wanting to make a deal. I am so pumped up about the possibility of going there. I'm ready to let loose. And I would give them my all - every ounce I've got."

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
scot182 said:
One question for the Bills is: How much better are they going to get in return for Henry in this depressed back market?

And the writter hit the nail right on the head.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good article representing the Buffalo reality. Our reality is that Denny wants to replace LJ in the worst way.

Surely this is a perfect one for one trade. Both players can play and fit the needs of the acquiring teams. Just do it.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
we don't need to do this deal until we're sure Brown and Benson - or maybe even Cadillac - aren't going to be there at 8. I really don't expect it to happen until then.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Rocco said:
we don't need to do this deal until we're sure Brown and Benson - or maybe even Cadillac - aren't going to be there at 8. I really don't expect it to happen until then.

That makes sense.

We would probably not get a straight up deal then from the Bills but would have to do something like trade the 2nd round picks....but that's OK if the big 3 running backs are gone.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
scot182 said:
"But at the same time, I'm real excited about Arizona wanting to make a deal. I am so pumped up about the possibility of going there. I'm ready to let loose. And I would give them my all - every ounce I've got."

Man, I love reading quotes like these. :thumbup:

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agree Redz

it verifies, to me, that the perception of the Cardinals IS changing around the league.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have been reading Shane H's posts on this topic. He has valuable points, one of which, Is the fact that Henry is a proven back. Why take a gamble when a RB can be dealt for?

This draft is strange, it's deep but no clear top 10. We need a CB and a RB we can get this if we just pull the trigger.

The Cardinal media is always downplaying the Cards, and it looks like Buffalo is finally getting a taste of our medicine.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
That's a good article representing the Buffalo reality. Our reality is that Denny wants to replace LJ in the worst way.

Surely this is a perfect one for one trade. Both players can play and fit the needs of the acquiring teams. Just do it.

Skkorp, have you had a complete change of heart? I thought you were saying, as recently as a month ago, that a starting LT (shelton) had more valus than a starting RB (Henry) and we should keep Shelton. Now you want us to do the deal?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think, in this case, Skkorp was describing Dennis Green's thoughts about Shelton and not necessarily what Skkorp felt was best for the team.

The two things are not necessarily the same. My perception is that Skkorp really likes LJ - both as a person and as a player, but believes that Green has given up on him and for that reason a player for player trade for Henry would make a lot of sense.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
If you believe the Buffalo Bills board, the trade is a done deal.

Take it with a grain of salt.