Henry stuff from the Bills news on nfl.com

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Saw this on NFL.com, wasn't sure if it had been posted here yet. Reading the bolded part below, it seems as if the water is a little muddier than it has appeared lately. Donahoe's claiming the Cards want more while most of the news has been that the Bills want more. Go figure...

Bills' Donahoe doubts Henry would skip season
NFL.com wire reports

BUFFALO, N.Y. (March 30, 2005) -- Bills president Tom Donahoe discounted Travis Henry 's threat to sit out if he's not traded, saying the running back would seriously hurt his career if he missed next season.

In an interview with Sirius NFL Radio, Donahoe said he's still attempting to trade Henry, but added he expects the player to return to Buffalo for the final year of his contract if a deal doesn't materialize.

"I have heard every threat that there is. It's just that time of year where people posture," Donahoe said. "But to take the year off and not play football, that is professional suicide."

Donahoe's comments came after Henry last week said he has no intention of returning to play for Buffalo if the team fails to trade him.

The Bills' starter since his rookie season in 2001, Henry is upset after losing the No. 1 job to Willis McGahee last October.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, declined comment.

Engelhard, who has the Bills' permission to discuss potential trades for his client with other teams, has said the Arizona Cardinals are prepared to send to Buffalo starting left tackle L.J. Shelton in a one-for-one deal. Donahoe denied that, saying the Cardinals want more, which is unacceptable for the Bills.

"Arizona understands our position and we understand theirs," Donahoe said. "So probably, unless somebody wants to blink, it's probably not going to get done."

Donahoe held out hope the deal could be revisited closer to next month's NFL draft.

"We will keep the door open and will continue to look because that is probably the fair thing to do," Donahoe said.

The Bills could use Shelton to bolster their offensive line, which lost three players to free agency, including starting left tackle Jonas Jennings, who signed with San Francisco. Arizona is in need of a proven running back after Emmitt Smith retired in February, while backup Troy Hambrick is recovering from a foot injury that forced him out of the last six weeks of last season.

Henry, a former second-round pick, had consecutive 1,300-yard seasons in 2002-03 before being demoted last season. An ankle injury forced Henry to miss the final five games of 2004.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8342286

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Intreasting. That changes things. Because in another article it said the Bills wanted more. Not us.

Hmmmm... Could we have our poker face on to see who is there at #8?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
I wish they would just get the trade done player for player. Buffalo wants more Denny wants more. This trade has a record amount of statements coming out. Seems like a different wish or trade everyday, I don't know what to believe anymore. It is pretty clever of Green to go on Gambo and Ash tommorow so he get the last word. :thumbup:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Donahoe was on Sirius Satellite Radio today and he admitted that Buffalo had no other offers for Henry and that Arizona wanted to do a one-for-one trade, but Buffalo wanted more from the deal.

If Buffalo thinks they are going to get a better deal for Henry than Shelton they're dreaming.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The interview is avaliable on BuffaloBills.com

He said that Arizona is the ONLY team to give them a 'firm' offer for Henry.

It started out as a one for one trade. But as it progressed it turns out that we want 'something else' as well as Henry (I'm thinking a first day draft pick).

Believes that it will progress on draft day depending on what RB is avaliable at the time.

Said that the trade isn't dead. And they will keep the door open. Again mentioned that things could change on draft day.

Last edited:

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Renz those fans over there, you can't believe a word from them. They got polls going thinking Evans is gonna be better then Randy Moss, and LJ Shelton will be cut soon. I will take the word of the NFL.COM over anyone of those people. They are informed somewhat on the Bills and nothing else.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Renz those fans over there, you can't believe a word from them. They got polls going thinking Evans is gonna be better then Randy Moss, and LJ Shelton will be cut soon. I will take the word of the NFL.COM over anyone of those people. They are informed somewhat on the Bills and nothing else.
;)

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still wouldn't hold NFL.com as the one true ring either. Earlier they reported that 1) Adrian Wilson was a top FA and 2) Arizona had signed Ed Hartwell.

They're about as unreliable as anyone at this point. Which is disgusting considering it's NF-frickin-L.com