Henry traded to the Titans

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
They said they had to come to terms on a contract extension before the deal is final which will be interesting, to see how much Henry ends up getting so we'll see how they figure him in their plans. Ie if it's big money, he's their future starter, smaller money with incentives, he's an insurance plan.

Did you get this from another story, Russ? Because that's the opposite of what it says in the original post:

The paperwork for the trade, which is not contingent upon the Titans reaching a contract extension agreement with Henry, has already been forwarded to the league offices.

I think that it's pretty clear that the Titans are signing Henry as an insurance policy for now, and they don't have the money to make a new deal for him this season, anyway. :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Did you get this from another story, Russ? Because that's the opposite of what it says in the original post:

I think that it's pretty clear that the Titans are signing Henry as an insurance policy for now, and they don't have the money to make a new deal for him this season, anyway. :shrug:

actually I missed the not when I first read it, thanks. As I said that was the holdup with Jax, Henry wanted a deal and they didn't want to do it. So I guess that's why he is a Titan now.

Agreed they just got out from under a big cap problem, don't want to start causing another one if Brown stays healthy.

I would bet almost anything Henry is a UFA after this year and winds up with one of the Florida teams, probably Jax since Miami and Tampa just drafted RB's in round 1. Sounds to me like Henry greatly overestimated the interest level there would be in him if he demanded a trade, he should have stayed quiet, and let them trade him, he just lowered his market value because everyone knew he wasn't reporting in Buffalo.

That said I figure Donahoe does get SOME props, he did get something for him, didn't have to cut him, but I still think in the long run there smartest move was take the Shelton trade so they had a LT THIS year.

So far Crennel likes LJ, said he stepped in at minicamp and didn't miss a beat. Doesn't mean he's a future pro bowler of course, but as LJ said I was cut late so most teams had already set their LT position in FA or the draft, there werent' a lot of teams looking for a LT, Cleveland was the best option available at that time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Insider says the Titans GM is denying the deal is finalized, said they agreed in principle but the deal is still "ongoing, nothing is finalized."

ALso says as K9 said they have no agreement on an extension and may let Henry walk as a FA after the year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI INsider says Verba has both the Bills and Texans on his possible list, neither team has made an offer but both are apparently looking at him.

So Buffalo could end up trying to sign Verba to fill their LT need, if they can get him in under the cap.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Its official:

Bills | Henry Trade Official
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:12:31 -0700

Mark Ludwiczak, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have announced they have officially traded RB Travis Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round draft choice in 2006.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Its official:

Bills | Henry Trade Official
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:12:31 -0700

Mark Ludwiczak, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills have announced they have officially traded RB Travis Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round draft choice in 2006.

If they wind up with Verba, Donahoe gets a brownie point for the whole deal, if they don't, he's going to be praying that someone steps up and takes that LT job.

He got good value for Henry IMHO, just didn't get his LT yet.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If they wind up with Verba, Donahoe gets a brownie point for the whole deal, if they don't, he's going to be praying that someone steps up and takes that LT job.

He got good value for Henry IMHO, just didn't get his LT yet.
Rumors say that Verba and the Texans are very close, but that Houston need to create a bit more cap space to sign both him and their draft picks. They need to clear about $1,5 to sign him. The Bills on the other hand need to clear room just to sign their rookies. Trading Henry helps, but the still need to slash a veteran AND then find $4M for Verba and a buffer.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If Henry gets a long term deal with the Titans, I guess it worked for him.

Well that was quick.

Titans | Henry gets New Deal
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:38:46 -0700

Titansonline.com reports Tennessee Titans RB Travis Henry has agreed to terms on a multi-year extension of his contract with the Titans. "We are excited about acquiring a player of this caliber for our roster," said Titans general manager Floyd Reese. "Travis is a dynamic back who will help us immediately. The combination of RB Chris Brown and RB Travis Henry puts us in elite company in terms of talented backfields. I don't know that it will matter who starts, because I envision both players making significant contributions throughout the season." Henry will join the rest of the Titans who will report for training camp next week.