Hey everyone Ray Ratto says 49ers have already clinched the division

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I guess the Cards should just fold up shop now and go play golf!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/04/SPJB1A1285.DTL

Your playoff-bound Niners

This might be just the Rams game talking, but fact is, the 49ers clinched a playoff berth with their 35-0 victory Sunday.

True, it is only the NFC West berth, a bar that takes so little effort to clear that the 49ers at this point could trip over it. And true, the 49ers still have the hardest part of their schedule ahead.

But we have seen the rest of the field, and the word "rancid" really only begins to cover its landscape.

First, so you don't get your knickers in a twist about excessive negativity and other such nonsense, the 49ers once again crushed an inferior team with its defense. Second, a wide receiver caught a touchdown to end a streak of almost four full games without one. Third, the 49ers are 3-1, and the one very well could have been an "0."

It's the "3" that leaps out at you, because the 49ers have faced each of their divisional opponents, and they are what we in both the scientific and religious communities like to term "God-awful." And the Rams are the very worst of all - Detroit- and Oakland-level bad, and that's giving them the best of it.

What we're saying here is that three more wins could seal the deal, and we can see the three from here: Week 12 at Seattle, Week 13 against Arizona and Week 17 at St. Louis. Sure, a long time from now, but those opponents probably will have eliminated themselves well before then, anyway.

Of course, this flies in the face of Mike Singletary's stern weekly warning about needing to work harder and improve more and not give into the temptations of playing in the NFL's version of the Sun Belt Conference.
"We're young, we're excited, and that also makes us a little vulnerable," he said in a postgame newser that covered, among other things, the ongoing deficiencies of the offensive line. "We have to continue to get better, and we will do that."

The 49ers' vulnerabilities, though, have remained beyond the use of their divisional confreres, who have been outscored by the 49ers 78-26 and against all opponents 258-155. They are 2-9, and threaten the all-time worst combined record for also-rans in a four-team division set by the AFC East two years ago: 12-36.

Which is a convoluted way of saying that San Francisco, which used to be the best proof of why the NFC West was awful, is now the exemplar in yet another awful NFC West.

"When you look at the NFC West," Singletary said, "a lot of people think it's a weak division. I don't think that's the case.
"
He's wrong, by the way. The division stinks on ice. Dreadful on ghastly, with a side of cornea-searing hideous. And if that cheapens your enjoyment of what looks more and more like a divisional title, well, that's between you and that bottle of Jagermeister on your end table.

But he continues:

"As we go forward, we want to be one of the best teams in the NFL. That's where we want to go. Near sight is winning the division."
The word he actually was looking for here was "hindsight." As in the rearview mirror. Work to do or no, that much is done, and if it isn't, let the firings commence.

The 49ers' offense is still a frustrating operation. The running game, the strength of the operation, averages 2.5 yards per carry if you take out Frank Gore's two long runs against a badly aligned Seattle defense. The passing game looks slightly better than expected but is still not explosive. The defense and special teams have scored four of the team's 12 touchdowns.

But this divisional title thing is not a complicated equation. The Rams have maybe one winnable game, in Week 8 against Detroit. Seattle is likely to be a favorite against the Lions at home, the Rams on the road, Tampa Bay and maybe Tennessee at home. And Arizona can bank on Carolina at home, St. Louis at home and at Detroit. By that reckoning, the 49ers need to finish 6-10, 7-9 tops, which, in either event, would be the worst divisional winner's record ever.

And they're pretty likely to exceed that on defense alone, even if it's the offensive players who are starting to feel the bandwagon forming.

"Oh, most definitely," running back Glen Coffee said when asked if he thought the 49ers were the division's team to beat. "We wanted to come out and make a statement, finish out the game strong and we did that, so I definitely feel that we're a force to be reckoned with."

A superior force to those being offered in Seattle, Glendale and most assuredly St. Louis, anyway - which for those of you who enjoy your progress delivered incrementally, is all they really need to do to play that elusive 17th game.

E-mail Ray Ratto at [email protected].

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Notice Fatto has us winning a total of 4 games btw...

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
We need a Denny Green quote somewhere in this thread. :)

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
People still read and listen to Ratto? Ratto doesnt know his head from his ***. Anybody in the Bay Area who watches Chronicle Live (its a daily sports show here), Ratto shows his ignorance and just looks more stupid than his articles shows (which is hard to do)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Surprise surprise.....biggest 49er homer, Cardinal detractor in the world. And I mean that figuratively AND literally.

All it takes is a 1-3 second quarter of the season to shut these bastards up and bring them back to earth.

Next four games for San Fran:

ATL
@ Hou
@ Indy
Tennessee

Aside from Tennessee, who I believe will get their act together by then, their next 4 games aren't gimmies by any stretch of the imagination.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Surprise surprise.....biggest 49er homer, Cardinal detractor in the world. And I mean that figuratively AND literally.

All it takes is a 1-3 second quarter of the season to shut these bastards up and bring them back to earth.

Next four games for San Fran:

ATL
@ Hou
@ Indy
Tennessee

Aside from Tennessee, who I believe will get their act together by then, their next 4 games aren't gimmies by any stretch of the imagination.

Ratto is a Niner homer? This the same guy who says the Niners should pay whatever Crabtree wants and the Yorks are horrible owners and cheap (which is not true the last 5 years). Ratto is an idiot...

And I agree with you on the next four games. None are gimmes (no game really is except maybe the Rams). ATL next week at home is a huge game for us. Going into the bye week 4-1 instead of 3-2 will be huge for momentum...But I do expect to lose to Indy, I think Houston and Tennessee are winnable games. But thats why they play the game

I dont know the Cards next four games but I know our Monday Night game in December will mean a whole lot! Last 6 years, thats all Im asking for

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Not time to crown them yet, but if we don't start playing, it won't take long.

After 4 weeks and the Cards with their bye, still time to make a lot of people eat crow.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ratto may be an idiot, but let's look at the NFC West standings right now:

9ers: 3-1 (only loss was to Minny on a last second TD by Farve);
Cards: 1-2 (Loss to 9ers, ugly loss to Colts);
SEA: 1-3 (bad injuries)
STL: 0-4 (Tag 'em and bag 'em)

9ers schedule remaining (and my WAG Predicitions):
ATL - Lose
@ HOU - Win
@ IND - Lose
TEN - Win
CHI - Win
@GB - Lose
JAC - Win
@SEA - Win
ARI - Lose
@PHI - Lose
DET - Win
@STL - Win

Puts them at 10-6.

Given our remaining schedule, assuming we become consistant, I think we'll end up at 8-8 (maybe 9-7, if a few break our way. 7-9 if they don't).

Just how I see it.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I did'nt see much offense at all out of the 9ers yesterday.I saw a defense that took advantage of an inept bunch of clowns from Louie.How many offensive points did the 9ers score?

Both teams had only 2 yards seperating themselves in the rushing department.Thats not saying much for the 9ers.

I don't see a super awesome passing game from the 9ers growing anytime soon either.I saw that 9er o-line give up sacks too,and a lot of pressure against this team of no-names from louie.

I would'nt 'CROWN EM' just yet.I'd say 8-8 is the best they can do in MPHO.

If we can't beat that record then it won't be the first time an 8-8 team came from this division to the playoffs.It'd be a big shame tho.

Lets just see if the 2 weeks off woke anyone up yet first.It could'nt of hurt.:) I have to add that yes York is cheap.Maybe not on his dealings with Crabtree,but history still has his name carved on the cheap side.His son will take over when he is gone.So the York name will be tied to the 9ers for all of our lives.:D the Debartalo curse is well in place.:D

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
the 49ers are taking care of things on the field. They are the team to beat in the division right now.

Are we a better team? I think so. But we are not playing like it.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
what was the classic article the rat wrote last year, i forget.. By the way I call dibs on bumping this thread at the end of the season.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The Niners are up in the division by 2.5 games, which in the NFL is a lot. So we have to give them the credit they deserve. But we can also theoretically catch them in as soon as Week 6 if we beat Houston and Seattle and they lose to the Falcons, so clearly nothing is settled. But they still own the tie-breaker until at least Week 14.

It's time to think about Houston, not San Francisco.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL I wrote him a reply to his email address. Pretty much stating how they pass out Journalism degrees in Cereal boxes in San Fran...and how the season is WAY from over. Cards schedule is alot easier than the 49ers the rest of the way. ANyway...He replied with..

Calm down; it was sarcasm.

:D I am sure I wasnt the only one to send him something.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Niners are up in the division by 2.5 games, which in the NFL is a lot. So we have to give them the credit they deserve. But we can also theoretically catch them in as soon as Week 6 if we beat Houston and Seattle and they lose to the Falcons, so clearly nothing is settled. But they still own the tie-breaker until at least Week 14.

It's time to think about Houston, not San Francisco.

That is not true...They are up 1 game!!!! If they lose next week and we win...then it is tied in the lost column. We still have to play them and if we win that we lead. Yes they beat us once already but since we have to play them again...it doesnt matter. Meaning if they lose next week then we control our own destiny....so 2.5 games is not right.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Sorry, you're right, it's not 2.5 games, but it is 1.5. If they lose next week they will still finish with an extra game in the win column. We have to win on their bye week to tie them. If we lose, they go back up by a game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we take care of our business it won't matter what SF does we HAVE the ability to beat good teams, you know offense AND defense. SF has a good defense thats it! They are not magically going to beat the good teams they play and they will come back to earth lets face it they lost to the only good team they played so far!

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow...I hate to say this but if we don't get it together soon he is right. I watched that game yesterday and the 49ers are playing 4 quarters. I was a huge Singletary fan in the eighties. The 49ers have less talent but Samurai Mike is getting everything out of them.

Honestly, I think that they will crack at some point and they will wear down. They were pushed hard in training camp and have come out ready but it could come back to hurt them. We will see.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are on pace for 5 wins, not 4. The proof is in the pudding. For years I laughed at teams that followed up a comment about their team's deficiencies with a "yeah, but.....". Now I find myself being that guy. I would be fine except I feel like we give away wins more than lose games. And you can't do that in the NFL. The funniest part is how uncomplimentary he is towards the Niners. He thinks they will win the West with 6 or 7 wins...... sort of a back-handed compliment!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
LOL I wrote him a reply to his email address. Pretty much stating how they pass out Journalism degrees in Cereal boxes in San Fran...and how the season is WAY from over. Cards schedule is alot easier than the 49ers the rest of the way. ANyway...He replied with..

Calm down; it was sarcasm.

:D I am sure I wasnt the only one to send him something.

I love that he used a semi-colon like a journalism snob to show you his literary genius LOL

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love that he used a semi-colon like a journalism snob to show you his literary genius LOL

LOL I saw that too. He ruined the literary genius part when he started typing though. But he didn't have any grammatical errors though. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to admit, this sounds really similar to the sort of talk floating around Phoenix after the Dallas game got us to 4-2 last year.

Why wouldn't they be confident? Switch positions, lots of Cards fans would be taking the division for granted already.