Hey LaRue Gates..

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
I hope you don't mind this traffic, you fat pig.

Mesa OKs $42 million to court megastore
City trying to lure Bass Pro to center

Justin Juozapavicius
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 20, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The battle among Valley cities to lure high-profile retail developments continued Thursday as Mesa offered an incentive package worth $42 million for a leisure, shopping and business project.

The offer would bring a Bass Pro Shop, the sporting-goods chain's second in the West; a 16-screen Cinemark movie theater, that chain's first in the Valley; and a Super Wal-Mart.

The development would include restaurants, an auto mall and a commerce park at the site Mesa once offered for the Arizona Cardinals football stadium now under construction in Glendale.

"I'm not a big fan of incentives . . . but I will take 50 percent of a larger number than 100 percent of zero," City Councilman Rex Griswold said.

The incentives for developing the 240-acre vacant site at Dobson Road and Loop 202 include $34 million in tax breaks and rebates; $6 million for streets and utilities and $2 million in impact and permit fee waivers.

The announcement was Mesa's response to an ongoing retail mall war with Tempe, which is acquiring land from private owners in its quest to build a Desert-Ridge-type shopping center on Loop 202 just two miles west of the Mesa site.

But Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman didn't see it as a battle, instead hoping both developments could "complement each other" and become a regional retail force.

Miravista Holdings and Vestar Development plan to build Tempe Marketplace at McClintock Drive and Rio Salado Parkway.

The city's development agreement with Miravista includes $50 million in incentives. Its agreement with Vestar includes more than $35 million in incentives for 1.3 million square feet of retail space.

Meanwhile, Chandler and Gilbert have been tussling over the location of a super auto mall, and sales tax rebates include $60 million for Gilbert and about $40 million for Chandler.

Other Valley cities have used subsidies to attract developers, including Glendale for the Arrowhead Town Center in Glendale and Phoenix, which offered a subsidy to get a high-end auto mall on the Phoenix-Scottsdale line on the old Chauncey Ranch property.

Two years ago, Mesa offered the Dobson property, controlled by the Hurley family for more than a century, as a location for the Cardinals stadium, but residents such as LaRue Gates shot down that plan. :hammer:

Gates and others viewed a stadium as a money pit that would never pay for itself.

Today, the 17-year Mesa resident supports the Bass Pro plan so far.

"I say, 'Let's go for it,' " she said. "Forty-two million dollars I can live with. It's still in the ballpark of what the stadium was going to be." :barf:

City Manager Mike Hutchinson said Mesa was committed to bringing high-quality projects to the site after the stadium plan failed.

Business owners also like what they see so far but are waiting to read the finished incentive package.

"At first glance, it seems like a good plan, but the devil's in the details," said David Molina, president of the Valley Business Owners and Concerned Citizens Inc. "In our dealings with the city, trust but verify."

The Valley business group is currently backing a referendum to roll back Mesa's sixth utility-rate hike in as many years. The city has been scrambling for new revenue sources since the post-9/11 downturn.

The City Council voted 5-1 Thursday to negotiate a development deal with De Rito Partners Development Inc. and Kimco Developers for the plan called the Riverview Project at Dobson. It will hire Ernst & Young to prepare a market analysis of the proposal.

"This is not a done deal today," said Council member Claudia Walters, who represents the district where the development would be built. "This is a kicking off of the public process."

Councilman Tom Rawles voted against the motion for a reason he did not want to discuss publicly.

Rawles said he was concerned with an item on the incentive list. Mayor Keno Hawker abstained because his back yard abuts the mall site.

A pedestrian-oriented theater district on 30 acres would be the first phase of construction, which could begin in about 18 months.

That includes a 57,000 square-foot Cinemark theater, the second the national chain would locate in Arizona, and 103,000 square feet of retail space.

"This is going to be a place where you want to be," said head architect Robert Saemisch of Saemisch DiBella Architects Inc., which will design the theater.

Future phases include the Bass Pro store on 25 acres, a 110-acre retail district where the Super Wal-Mart would locate, a 30-acre auto mall and a 45-acrecommerce park.

Bass Pro Shops, an outdoor sporting-goods giant that sells everything from rods and rifles to hunters' underarm deodorant and camouflage infant booties, attracts millions of tourists annually.

The Missouri-based chain is opening its first Western store in Las Vegas on Nov. 11. Saemisch estimated that the 180,000- to 200,000-square-foot store in Mesa could attract 2 million tourists a year.

The developers' proposal will be considered at several City Council sessions and planning and zoning meetings.

The city also plans to hold several public meetings on the development.
[/font]

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid woman!! :hammer:

I hope she gets so much more traffic than there would have been for the football games plus a few conventions or concerts.

:lmao:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could somebody explain how a Hunting & Fishing store is going to attract tourists to Mesa ?

Seems to me it might attract hunters and fisherman to buy gear or does anybody plan their vacations around visits to a bait shop?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be angry if my parents named me "Larue Gates".

A-Bomb

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Could somebody explain how a Hunting & Fishing store is going to attract tourists to Mesa ?

Seems to me it might attract hunters and fisherman to buy gear or does anybody plan their vacations around visits to a bait shop?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Oh well they can keep the little mall While I enjoy the comfort of a new stadium and enjoy the benefit of the Super Bowl thats coming to the West side 2008. Thanks LaRue Gates :thumbup:

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
ah, forward thinking is brilliant! bait shop superstore v. professional sports arena

VERY tough to make that call. i'd have to vote bait shop. who wouldn't?!

here's a big F-U to these morons.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gates is swayed by a Super Walmart? I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Bass Pro Shop is the funniest thing I have seen since whashisname started holiding his breath until DG is fired.

Football Stadium -- no way, who likes that sort of thing.
Bass Pro Shop -- YES, PLEASE!!!!!

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
The Cardinals stadium was going to bring traffic, crime, and prostitution to this Mesa neighborhood near the sewer plant, so citizens shot that plan down.

Now they got a super wal-mart.

I guess things do work out for the best.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:

From an article in the Tribune: In Missouri, where the company is headquartered, the store has become the state's largest tourist attraction, surpassing a Six Flags amusement park and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Nearly 4 million people a year visit the corporate store in Springfield, Mo.

Seems like a smart move on Mesa's part.

Bagging on Mesa regarding the stadium is a little old isn't it? I understand bagging on Larue Gates who helped ruin Mesa's efforts, but why Mesa in general. As I've pointed out many times on here - Mesa stepped up when no other cities were coming forward to try and get a stadium built. Scottsdale? Tempe? Avondale? Gilbert? Phoenix? Glendale? Nope, Mesa did more to try and get the Cards a stadium than all of those cities combined in the years since the Cards moved here. They failed because the first project was too big (especially once Tempe bailed out of it), the second one was a heavy tax burden on Mesa alone (which rallied the "No" voters by the busloads), and the third got shot down by Gates and her ilk.

Glendale got in late, like some other cities, and only got it because of the BS ruling about the Tempe site and the Sky Harbor flight path.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
and the third got shot down by Gates and her ilk.

...don't forget about that little pansy Houdini (or whatever name is is hiding under these days).

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mesa...just say no!

Public vote appears likely on Bass Pro development

Mesa voters could be one step closer to deciding the fate of a controversial retail development, even after the city clerk disqualified 663 referendum signatures this week from the thousands supporting a vote on the project.

"You're still looking at a pretty good cushion," said City Clerk Barbara Jones, who delivered a 5 percent sample of the signatures for each of the three referendums on Tuesday to the county recorder's office.

Nearly 4,700 signatures were initially filed on each of the referendums - Protect Mesa's General Plan, Stop Corporate Welfare and Stop Excessive Subsidies - earlier this month against the zoning of the Riverview at Dobson retail development.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/mesa/articles/1216Msignatures16Z11.html