History books

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I just posted in the What are you reading thread, I'm reading a great history book by William Hallahan called The Day the American Revolution Began.

I used to gobble up teenage history books when I was in high school, but got out of it for some reason. But I'd like to get back into it.

Looking to see if anyone else is a history buff, and do you have any good books to reccommed about the history of America? I'd like to kind of start off at the beginning, and just learn about everthing all the way through...from Plymouth to Vietnam.

Mike

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
As I just posted in the What are you reading thread, I'm reading a great history book by William Hallahan called The Day the American Revolution Began.

I used to gobble up teenage history books when I was in high school, but got out of it for some reason. But I'd like to get back into it.

Looking to see if anyone else is a history buff, and do you have any good books to reccommed about the history of America? I'd like to kind of start off at the beginning, and just learn about everthing all the way through...from Plymouth to Vietnam.

Mike

Try "Long Days Journey Into War" by Stanley Weintraub. I liked it alot and am actually considering reading it again. It is all about Dec 7, 1941. It takes you on an hour by hour account of the attack (plus more stuff around it) and really does a nice job.

I am a total history buff...so much so it was my major in college. Much of my reading is more about Europe and more about WW II than anything but there are some great history books out there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just finished reading a coffee table book about the American Revolution, which I've never really studied. Very interesting book, although I can't remember the title. A lot of the "history" books I've read are mostly textbook style, and some Hollywood history.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either of you, or anyone else who wants to chime in, have you read any Harry Turtledove?

He has written a lot of what I guess would be called "alternative history" novels.

I've never read any, but was thinking about picking them up.

Any opinions on them?

Thanks in advance.

Re non-fiction history, last one I remember reading was The Killer Angels (civil war).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I haven't read Harry Turtledove, but I've read other authors doing alt history as well as some comics that do it.

To me, it almost seems amateur. I don't know why--maybe it's the blending of genres (thriller/fantasy). I don't know.

Audrey19

Hockey Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Either of you, or anyone else who wants to chime in, have you read any Harry Turtledove?
Both my boyfriend and my dad have read his books and enjoyed them. :thumbup:

(I know for sure one was called "Blood and Iron".)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Audrey19
Both my boyfriend and my dad have read his books and enjoyed them. :thumbup:

(I know for sure one was called "Blood and Iron".)

What are they like?

Mike

Audrey19

Hockey Addict
Reaction score
My boyfriend and dad... or the books? :p I haven't read any of them, but from what they've described it follows history to an extent but the author pushes it further using his imagination. Or as Brian said, it's "alternative history".

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hey AZCB34:

Check out "Eagle against The Sun - The American War With Japan" by Ronald H. Spector. Must reading for a WW2 buff. You think the war in Europe was bloody, wait until you read this. To me the European theater of action in WW2 gets all the noteriety, but the Asian theater was probably more difficult and more dangerous than dealing with Hitler's thugs. This book is a pure history text book type of reading. Not much outside fluff added to it. Mostly a "Just the facts, mam" type of read. What is especially memorable to me is the comparison of the Japanese military versus ours before the war breaks out. We were so far behind the race at the start, it was just pure luck the Japanese didn't press their advantage more.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
Hey AZCB34:

Check out "Eagle against The Sun - The American War With Japan" by Ronald H. Spector. Must reading for a WW2 buff. You think the war in Europe was bloody, wait until you read this. To me the European theater of action in WW2 gets all the noteriety, but the Asian theater was probably more difficult and more dangerous than dealing with Hitler's thugs. This book is a pure history text book type of reading. Not much outside fluff added to it. Mostly a "Just the facts, mam" type of read. What is especially memorable to me is the comparison of the Japanese military versus ours before the war breaks out. We were so far behind the race at the start, it was just pure luck the Japanese didn't press their advantage more.

Excellent book - One of the better history books in my collection.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
Hey AZCB34:

Europe does get all the glory but by far the Pacific Theater was much more of a brutal war. With the benefit of hindsight, the Japanese really messed up after Pearl Harbor in that they had a clear advantage over us...as you pointed out. Much like Hitler trying to bomb Britain into surrender (folly on the worst order), the Japanese thought they had "won" when their Pearl attack was successful.

The island hopping campaign was brutal because unlike the Germans, the Japanese really employed the suicide attacks as a basic means of war...not to mention the brutality of their treatment of American/Allied POWs...which the Germans really weren't as bad except for their dealing with the Russian POWs. They handled our guys guys pretty well.

Just for an idea of the brutality of the war in the Pacific, find a good book on Iwo Jima. For a pimple island, that was bloody as you want to get. Something like 25,000 US casualties and almost every one of the 22,000 Japanese defenders died. It took 36 days to end the battle...all for an island measuring 8 square miles.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will hunt it down and read it. Always on the hunt for good history books...especially about WWII.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
One of the best books, non-fiction, about the American Revolution is The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff.

A really good novel about New York City during the Civil War is Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker. Another good non-fiction book on that same subject is Five Points by Tyler Anbinder.

I can't remember the author, but The Rape of Nanking is a good book about Japanese atrocities in China during WWII. The Japanese were every bit as brutal as the Nazis, but for some reason their crimes are not as well known or discussed in America. Probably because of some sort of collective guilt over using the atomic bomb.

Hope you enjoy reading about history. As someone who got his B.A. in History and taught history in high school it makes me happy anytime someone is interested in the subject. :thumbup:

Strong Bad

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I recently was given a couple Civil War Navy books by some friends for my birthday. The Civil War is one of the most interesting periods of time in America. I try to read almost everything I can get my hands on about that time period.

The Confederate Navy: The Ships, Men, and Organization, 1861-65, (Dr. Still)

Lincoln's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861-65 (Canney and Canney)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98