hoops.ws fantasy league '03-'04

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think we can just have people bump the thread once in a while. If it's a sticky, it might be annoying to people who aren't participating in the league. I agree that most people didn't seem to check the Fantasy board, however.

I was going to hold off on the draft until shortly before the regular season begins, because of last-minute trades and stuff like that. I'm sure people would want to know where Nick Van Exel is playing before having to decide whether to draft him, for instance. But I'm happy to be flexible about that, and if other people want to do the draft sooner, that's fine with me. What does everyone think?

By the way, I'm just about to send out the password. First I will post the "almost final" list of 16 managers to make sure everyone is still in. I'll take care of that in the next day or two.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Definitely hold off the draft until the season is about to tip off.

It's wayyyy to early.

:wave:

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Confirming all managers!

Here is the present list of 16 managers:

BigNastyDawg (Pimpin)
Brian in Mesa
Chaplin
Chris_Sanders
elindholm
fordronken
Gorilla
Joe Mama
"nobody1" (last year's replacement Tucson manager)
offset
S_Marbury
slinslin
sly fly
Tank
thegrahamcrackr
Zarko_The_Great

If you have decided not to play, please let me know so that I can recruit someone else for your spot (or not, if the number of dropouts is even). It looks like a great group, so I hope everyone is still in.

The league password will go out Monday. I'll also post a bunch of information for how to set up your team then.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is not too early.
It is only 18 days until the Suns first preseason game.

If you think that Nick van Exel's situation is a reason not to start the draft than there will never be a good time to start it because you never know if anyone will be traded.

That's like saying I don't want to do the draft until I know that Penny Hardaway will be traded or not.
So we could do the draft after the trading deadline.

When the preseason starts too many sleeper picks become too obvious which makes the draft boring.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
:stupid:

I'm still in.
Lets start the draft ASAP
Give me something to concentrate on until the preseason starts

fordronken

Reaction score
I was in a fantasy league last year and we drafted around this time and it was much too early. Things like trades, and more importantly, serious training camp and pre-season injuries can be very frustrating. Also, seeing who comes into camp looking like what is beneficial. At this point a lot of players will be complete question marks. It seems much more competitively interesting if we can do some player research once they report to camp rather than arbitrary guessing(this refers to players like Baker, Houston, McDysse, Webber, Stojakovich, etc.).

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd like to start the draft on Saturday, October 4. This will be too early for some people and too late for others, so it seems like a good compromise. :D The start time I have in mind is 11:00 MST/PDT, which is 18:00 GMT and 20:00 central Europe time.

If there's a really good reason to change the start by a day or so in either direction, we can certainly do that.

I'll explain more about how the draft works later, but each manager will have 24 hours total to make his 12 picks. With 16 of us, this means that the draft will take a maximum of 16 days. So it will start just before the exhibition season does, and it will end at least a week before the regular season starts.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We have a waiting list of four potential managers already, but if we need to go beyond that, I'll let you know.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We could expand the league to 20 teams if there are 4 managers on the waiting list or do you think it would be too much?

It would probably mean that you will have a tough time using all your minutes.

Or if we get more managers we could open a 2nd league. Maybe some people wouldn't mind playing in 2 leagues anyway.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm up for being the commissioner of only one league, but if someone wants to set up a second one, they're welcome to.

Some people have said that even 16 managers is too much, because the talent pool gets too diluted, so I don't want to expand this league.

There will always be people coming in after deadlines and suddenly claiming interest in things. If we expanded to 20 then there would be people wanting 24. I'd rather stick with the people who were interested enough to respond within the first six weeks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05