Hornets send point guard Dickau to Celtics

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Hornets send point guard Dickau to Celtics

ESPN.com news services

The Boston Celtics acquired point guard Dan Dickau from the New Orleans Hornets on Friday in exchange for a second-round choice in 2006.

Dickau, who averaged 12.5 points playing for both Dallas and New Orleans last season, was acquired for the draft choice that Miami gave to Boston in a previous deal.

Dickau agreed to a three-year, $8 million contract, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher has learned.

Dickau started 46 of his 71 games last year and averaged 4.9 assists. After the Hornets acquired the 6-foot guard from Dallas, Dickau averaged 13.2 points, 5.2 assists and 1.1 steals in 67 appearances. The Hornets will play 35 home games in Oklahoma City this season because of hurricane damage in New Orleans.

Dickau, the 28th selection in the 2002 draft by Sacramento, averaged 3.7 points and 1.7 assists in his first season with Atlanta. In his second season, Dickau averaged 2.2 points in 43 appearances with Atlanta and Portland.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sure most of you guys saw this in the last couple days, but there has been no discussion of it. We have all talked at length at the growing list of backcourt players the Celtics, and that it will undoubtedly lead to future moves by them. With our need for a true backup PG, and with Boston's stockpiling, not to mention our relationship with Danny Ainge, does anyone else think that this could lead to a trade between the Suns and Celtics? I'm not going to be a conspiracy theorist here because we already have a few already on this board- don't worry Colorado, I enjoy your posts. But there is definately going to be moves made by Boston, and I think we could get someone of quality from them without having to give up much. What do you guys think?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect the Celtics to make some deals, since they have soemthing like 18 guys under contract -- but mostly rookie deals.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
$8 million for three years of dickau sound like a pretty reasonable deal.

Joe Mama

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
$8 million for three years of dickau sound like a pretty reasonable deal.

Joe Mama

I agree. Even if we wanted him he wouldn't be available til February right?

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
After this deal is done Boston will have 18 guys under contract:

G Tony Allen
G Marcus Banks
C Mark Blount
C Curtis Borchardt
G Will Bynum
F Ricky Davis
F Ryan Gomes
GF Gerald Green
G Orien Greene
F Al Jefferson
F Raef LaFrentz
C Kendrick Perkins
GF Paul Pierce
F Justin Reed
F Brian Scalabrine
G Delonte West
F Qyntel Woods
G Dan Dickau

That's a lot of guards, not to mention not enough roster spots. Who is on the move?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:

G Tony Allen
G Marcus Banks
C Mark Blount
C Curtis Borchardt
G Will Bynum
F Ricky Davis
F Ryan Gomes
GF Gerald Green
G Orien Greene
F Al Jefferson
F Raef LaFrentz
C Kendrick Perkins
GF Paul Pierce
F Justin Reed
F Brian Scalabrine
G Delonte West
F Qyntel Woods
G Dan Dickau

That's a lot of guards, not to mention not enough roster spots. Who is on the move?

and I read somewhere that Qyntel Woods and Will Bynum will be lucky to make the team. Do either of them have fully guaranteed contracts? How about Justin Reed?

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
New players signed in the off season (Dickau) can not be traded until December.

The trading deadline every year is February.

The interesting thing about Curry is, if the Bulls signed him to the one year offer sheet, he can not be traded this year at all. He then is a free agent after this season to sign wherever he wants without any compensation to the bulls.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it really matters when Dickau is eligible to be traded. I seriously doubt the Boston Celtics acquired him, so they could move him right away. Acquiring Dickau gives them flexibility to move one of their other point guards though.

Joe Mama

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Dickau was a great pickup by Boston, but would have been a HELL of a pickup for Phoenix. Boston only gave a 2nd rounder for him. He would have been worth one of the two worse 1st round picks that we received in the Atlanta trade IMO. A pass first PG, that has a good assist/turnover ratio, sign me the hell up.

Last edited:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
and I read somewhere that Qyntel Woods and Will Bynum will be lucky to make the team. Do either of them have fully guaranteed contracts? How about Justin Reed?

Joe Mama

I think that is beautiful justice. I remember some critics saying that Woods should have gone before Stoudemire in the 2002 draft. NBAdraft.net gave us a D and Portland an A- for that year's draft. Now Stoudemire is a superstar and Woods is potentially getting cut.

Even more funny is this line from Woods' bio on NBAdraft.net.

More importantly, "He's a good kid. I've met him and talked with his family, and he may not have taken the usual course to the NBA, but he's a good kid."

http://http://nbadraft.net/2002draftgrades.htm

http://nbadraft.net/2002draftgrades.htm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I remember some critics saying that Woods should have gone before Stoudemire in the 2002 draft.

Every mock draft had Woods higher, usually around #5. He went into freefall on draft night because of concerns about his drug use, so it was amusing when Portland was the one to take the bait. I had even gotten to the point where I was hoping he'd fall just a bit further, so that the Suns could take him with the Jacobsen pick, although I doubt Phoenix ever had any interest in him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I remember some critics saying that Woods should have gone before Stoudemire in the 2002 draft.

Every mock draft had Woods higher, usually around #5. He went into freefall on draft night because of concerns about his drug use, so it was amusing when Portland was the one to take the bait. I had even gotten to the point where I was hoping he'd fall just a bit further, so that the Suns could take him with the Jacobsen pick, although I doubt Phoenix ever had any interest in him.

Throughout the build up to that draft there were a handful of players I was hoping the Phoenix Suns would grab with that second first-round draft pick. Casey Jacobsen was never one of them. When Woods started falling I remember several of us got excited although deep down I think we all knew who the Phoenix Suns intended to take. Remember CJ was in the green room, so someone had obviously promised to take him in the first round. I think we all knew who that was.

Joe Mama

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:

G Tony Allen
G Marcus Banks
C Mark Blount
C Curtis Borchardt
G Will Bynum
F Ricky Davis
F Ryan Gomes
GF Gerald Green
G Orien Greene
F Al Jefferson
F Raef LaFrentz
C Kendrick Perkins
GF Paul Pierce
F Justin Reed
F Brian Scalabrine
G Delonte West
F Qyntel Woods
G Dan Dickau

Thanks for noting that I am the conspiracy theorist on the board, I would have been disappointed if you gave someone else that title.

My target on the Celtics (Tony Allen) has gotten into some legal problems, I believe in Chicago, so he is probably out of contention.

I have always liked Will Bynum's game, it is very close to what Nate Robinson's, just without the attitude. If we had not signed House I would have thought Bynum would have been a good pick up.

Not that familiar with Marcus Banks but he would probably be the one the Celts shop first.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake