How about Jim Fassel as the new Card Head Coach?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fassel took the Giants to the Super Bowl and the players really liked him. I heard Tiki Barber being interviwed during preseason by Jurecki and he stated he really like the offense that Fassel installed In New York and had a great amount of respect for Coach Fassel. Jurecki said that Fassel was his choice to be the Card coach not Green (not that it matters). Fassel had problems with the mgmt in New York. They wanted to get a tough guy like Coughlin who really now has a problem with the whole team per his approach.
Wasn't he with the Cards at one time (before I moved here).
Fassel is currently the OC for the Ravens. What are the thoughts from the board on him???

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout we wait until the season is over to worry about stuff like this?

(and I do like Fassel)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I wonder where we'd be if we'd hired him instead of Green.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is a new wind of young head coaches in the leauge, I would rather have a promising, young mind coach this team.

If were not picking washed up, has beens... we seem to get unknown coordinators from teams with lousy records, that no one else even had on their radar. Time for new blood, i'm just not sure who it is.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How bout we wait until the season is over to worry about stuff like this?

(and I do like Fassel)

You are probably right but its pretty depressing being a Cardinal fan. I also feel that Denny has lost the team and I'm a Denny Green fan.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Fassel took the Giants to the Super Bowl and the players really liked him. I heard Tiki Barber being interviwed during preseason by Jurecki and he stated he really like the offense that Fassel installed In New York and had a great amount of respect for Coach Fassel. Jurecki said that Fassel was his choice to be the Card coach not Green (not that it matters). Fassel had problems with the mgmt in New York. They wanted to get a tough guy like Coughlin who really now has a problem with the whole team per his approach.
Wasn't he with the Cards at one time (before I moved here).
Fassel is currently the OC for the Ravens. What are the thoughts from the board on him???

You ripped me on this one bro. As i said in a earlier post i bet dollars to donuts this is the direction they go.

And i think its a bad idea. Anyone watching this team relaizes they need a disciplinarian who forces them to execute basic fundamentals. My top 5 list of potential candidates goes like this:

1. Gruden
2. Fisher (with Chow)
3. Ferentz
4. Petrino
5. Bratkowski

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so over retreads. There is a reason a lot of them do not have jobs or will not. Look at the success of the young up and coming coaches like Del Rio, Lewis, and Lovie Smith.

Bring on Ron Rivera.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Guys, plug in any coach and it'll be the same. It's ownership that needs to change their stripes first. Until then, this is how it will be year after year.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
Some possibilities:

Jeff Fisher: Has had some bad seasons recently and some say he has lost "it". Still, he has gone all the way to the Superbowl and had a great run with the Titans.

Mike Sherman: Had five or so good seasons in Greenbay. Fired after one bad one. Is said to be good with the O-Line.

Jon Gruden: Tampa a train wreck this season. He has had good runs with both the Raiders and Bucs. Might light a fire under our guys.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher: Has had some bad seasons recently and some say he has lost "it". Still, he has gone all the way to the Superbowl and had a great run with the Titans.
Fischer is a helluva coach, IMO. The staff and the ownership don't see eye-to-eye and the Titans have left the cupbaord somewhat bare for Jeff Fischer this year.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I wonder where we'd be if we'd hired him instead of Green.
Same spot. With the owners we have even Bill Bellicheck(sorry for the spelling) wouldn't take us far into the playoffs. I guarentee Green will go somewhere else and have more success than anyone we hire. Getting a new coach every 3 years won't solve a thing. We can get a great coach and then 3 years later everyone will be hating on him. Coach's careers die here. :(

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would love chucky... but his act gets old. Fisher is my guy.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Fisher's contract is up, but with a team option for next year. Some insiders are looking at it as a possibility that the Titans pick up the option and offer to let Fisher talk to other teams for a pick.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Tennessee wants to dump Fisher...why would we want him?

I'd rather think we go the route of hiring a young up and comer, but I hardly believe the Cardinals ownership would know how about going that. I mean...if they can't see what a Denny Green or Buddy Ryan is gonna bring you...how in the hell can they ever speculate what a young "unproven" coach will bring you? That takes "football sense" and instincts. The Cardinal ownership has none of that. :bang:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
You ripped me on this one bro. As i said in a earlier post i bet dollars to donuts this is the direction they go.

And i think its a bad idea. Anyone watching this team relaizes they need a disciplinarian who forces them to execute basic fundamentals. My top 5 list of potential candidates goes like this:

1. Gruden
2. Fisher (with Chow)
3. Ferentz
4. Petrino
5. Bratkowski

Steelers OC Ken Wiesenhurt is probably on top of that list, too.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, no college coaches. BTW, check out Nick Saban's performance with the Dolphins.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff Fischer.

Fischer will be a hot comodity, any team needing a HC will have him on their short list. The chance of Billy out bidding other teams for him is remote.

In addition I'd bet that Mac hasn't been telling Fischer what a great organization the Cards are.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please, no college coaches. BTW, check out Nick Saban's performance with the Dolphins.

Man I am loving it too. He just annoys me to no end!!! He seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder or something I don't know what it is. He just seems like a guy that wouldn't be fun to play for. He was great in college no doubt. He may yet bring 'em around this year too. Hopefully Billichek won't give him another win at New England this week like he did last year.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fischer will be a hot comodity, any team needing a HC will have him on their short list. The chance of Billy out bidding other teams for him is remote.

In addition I'd bet that Mac hasn't been telling Fischer what a great organization the Cards are.

Good point about Mac. Hadn't thought about that. I forget who it was maybe the MNF crew last night mentioned him as a possiblity at U of Miami since Coker is on the hot seat there. It would be hard to pass up that job if it becomes available and then offered.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How about Ron Rivera, DC for Kansas City? We've only had one good defense since 1994. Rivera is mid-forties and must be doing something right to have the offensive minded Chiefs near the top of the league in defense.

Anybody know much about him?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser