How about Jim Jackson tonight!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
After the first half I thought this team was dead.

However, Nash, Amare, and Jackson proved me wrong.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Huge game from Jimmy. His 4th quarter production set up a rested Nash.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UNBELIEVABLE - reminded me of Todd Day's 15 point 4th quarter against the Spurs in Game 3 of that first round series back in 200.

JJax is the freaking man - unbelievable tonight - unbelievable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Phoenix found their back-up PG for this series, Jim Jackson.

Although Nash was nothing short of awesome and Amare let the game come to him tonight, without Jackson sparking this team at the point... Phoenix would have lost.

Reaction score
We used Jimmy as a PG during the regular season. Its good to see us try it in the playoffs. When he hit that corner three I thought, "man that's what Joe does all game", and then he pointed to his JJ armband on the way back down court. I thought that was awesome.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
UNBELIEVABLE - reminded me of Todd Day's 15 point 4th quarter against the Spurs in Game 3 of that first round series back in 200.

JJax is the freaking man - unbelievable tonight - unbelievable.

Your memory is beyond bizarre...that is just uncanny. I am impressed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to admit I never would've associated words like "heart", "desire", "grit", etc with Jackson when we traded for him. But, he showed all of those things in that fourth quarter. The putback of his own miss was, IMO, the point when the game turned in our favor for good. If he doesn't step up there, who knows what happens.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
With the loss of Joe, if Casey was still here playing the minutess of JJax this series would have been lost in 5 games. Hats off the Jjax.
Brandy must be embarrased by the way Q played

jibikao

Reaction score
Jim Jackson, Nash and Amare were the studs tonight.

God, I feel so gay tonight. lol

Jim Jackson was freaking awesome when Mavs' defense TOTALLY collapsed!!

They still had that mentality "guard, amare, let nash shoot, guard amare, let nash shoot". LOL Their defense was totally brutal.

Nash brought another MVP performance.

I rarely watch Suns playoff games but was Kidd better than Nash? I know most people say Kidd > Nash but I really thought Nash isn't that bad. Ok..he can't play tough man-to-man defense but I thought Nash's shooting is much more superior than Kidd.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Was at the game - and you could FEEL JJax's attitude when he came on the court - like he buckled on his gun belt as he strode in, picked the youngsters up by the scruff of the neck, and said, "THIS is what you do to win a championship." The level of confidence in AWA rose instantly. He was wonderful.

It seemed like about then - partly because Avery's troops began to sag - Amare regained his brashness and quickness, and Nash - well, The Mechanic just kept doing whatever needed his attention.

If these guys start hitting on all cylinders they definitely can go all the way. Heck, if even some of the clankers that bounced off in the first half had dropped in, they would have won much more easily. They looked like they were trying to fire fastballs at the hoop, esp Q.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
KJ, Kidd, Marbury, and Nash are all studs but Nash (can't remember KJ in early years) is the perfect PG for this team - they all have weaknesses but only KJ and Nash got this team in 1st Round Homecourt I believe? I remember against the Spurs that the Suns were 5th seed but maybe they were 4th with Kidd and well Marbury got us the 8th seed... on this team, all 4 could get the Suns into Playoffs but I'm not sure there is a better fit than Nash - KJ played so long ago, I hardly remember so. Nash was the MVP for a reason...

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Thank goodness for Jackson.

He has just made that a good trade no matter what else happens.

With Johnson down they needed someone else to step up. Jackson was the third wheel they needed scoring the ball. What a great clutch performance in a HUGE game.

jibikao

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
KJ, Kidd, Marbury, and Nash are all studs but Nash (can't remember KJ in early years) is the perfect PG for this team - they all have weaknesses but only KJ and Nash got this team in 1st Round Homecourt I believe? I remember against the Spurs that the Suns were 5th seed but maybe they were 4th with Kidd and well Marbury got us the 8th seed... on this team, all 4 could get the Suns into Playoffs but I'm not sure there is a better fit than Nash - KJ played so long ago, I hardly remember so. Nash was the MVP for a reason...

I see. How far did Kidd bring Suns? It was during his prime right? 2nd round?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
jibikao said:

Kidd was missing from a broken ankle in the first round that year.

I think Kidd deserved MVP consideration from the way he carried the Suns during the regular season.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The great thing about Jackson was that he figured out the Mavs defense. It was obvious that they were focused on stopping the Suns from shooting threes (although they were not shooting well even when open) - but that meant JJax could drive the paint and break down the defense.

I don't know how far they will go, but this is really a special team.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Jim Jackson to the Rescue in Game 5

By Josh Greene, Suns.com
Posted: May 18, 2005

Unofficially it was Senior’s Night at America West Arena as the Suns’ veterans came up big in Game 5’s 114-108 win Wednesday night. After his 48-point outburst in Game 4, it was almost no surprise Steve Nash managed a triple-double in the victory. But what did raise some eyebrows was just how much of an impact Jimmy Jackson made as Phoenix moves within one win of advancing to the conference finals.

Filling in again for Joe Johnson after the youngster went down with a broken eye socket in Game 2, J-Jax went off for a career playoff-best 21 points in 45 minutes of play with 15 of those points coming in the second half.

“That’s why this is a team game,” the veteran swingman said. “For Joe to go down at this point of the season… he deserves to be playing. We just want to make sure we continue on so he can come back and enjoy the fruits of his labor in terms of working hard.”

“(Jackson) had some big shots,” said Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki, who erupted for 34 points on the night. “He actually ran the pick and roll really well. He just waltzed right to the middle, had a couple big finishes, had a couple big shots. He’s been big for them since Joe’s been out. He really stepped in nicely and has been a real presence. He’s very physical on the defensive end as well. He’s been great for them. We’ll have to try and find a way to shut him down a little bit in Games 6 and 7.”

That might not be so easy, especially with Jackson showing his propensity at multiple positions Wednesday night. No. 21 added point guard to his night’s resume as he found himself playing a little bit at the one spot as Nash got a quick breather on the sidelines.

“I’m a playmaker,” he added. “I’ve played point guard in high school, college and in the NBA. I’m used to handling the ball. There are a lot of things I can do. It’s just a matter of timing, when and if you can do it. I’m just patient. Take my time and when it comes, I take advantage of it.

“It’s just taking advantage of opportunities that are there. We have to attack the basket and we did that in the second half and the fourth quarter.”

While Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni credited Jackson with being the one who “turned the tide” in the second half, it was Quentin Richardson who summed up his teammate’s efforts best.

“He was more than solid, Jimmy was big-time tonight,” Q said. “He’s a veteran guy and he stepped up over and over again tonight.”

And like an NBA veteran, Jackson knows just how important this game was, especially with the Suns now looking to close things out Friday for Game 6 in Dallas.
“Game 5 is a big momentum swing because we have to go back to Dallas and get a win,” Jackson said. “If you lose this game, that’s even more pressure to go back on their home court. Nobody said this series was going to be easy. The hardest thing to do is win the championship because you have to beat a team four times. At this level, who you play are going to be great teams.”

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/jackson_050518.html

OP
OP
DieHardCardFan

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
We used Jimmy as a PG during the regular season. Its good to see us try it in the playoffs. When he hit that corner three I thought, "man that's what Joe does all game", and then he pointed to his JJ armband on the way back down court. I thought that was awesome.

That was as cool as it gets!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jibikao said:

There are two major differences between Steve Nash and Jason Kidd on the court. The first, and probably the most important, is that Steve Nash is a much better scorer/shooter. He forces opposing defenses to play honest because he can easily light them up for 30 points on a high shooting percentage. Jason Kidd is a poor shooter. Take him out of the fast break, and he isn't even a good scorer.

To be fair Jason Kidd has never played with a team like this current Phoenix Suns team. There's no doubt in my mind that he could take a team like this pretty far. For the reason mentioned above I don't believe this team would be as good with Jason Kidd (prime) instead of Steve Nash.

The other major difference is that Jason Kidd is a better and more versatile defender. Now there have been times during the season when Steve Nash's defense has been a weakness for the team. It's not for a lack of effort though. Especially in the playoffs he has been putting forth 110% effort on almost every defensive possession. His defense has not been a problem.

Of course the off the court differences are huge as well. Jason Kidd is a world class a-hole while Steve Nash is just world-class.

Joe Mama

jibikao

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
There are two major differences between Steve Nash and Jason Kidd on the court. The first, and probably the most important, is that Steve Nash is a much better scorer/shooter. He forces opposing defenses to play honest because he can easily light them up for 30 points on a high shooting percentage. Jason Kidd is a poor shooter. Take him out of the fast break, and he isn't even a good scorer.

To be fair Jason Kidd has never played with a team like this current Phoenix Suns team. There's no doubt in my mind that he could take a team like this pretty far. For the reason mentioned above I don't believe this team would be as good with Jason Kidd (prime) instead of Steve Nash.

The other major difference is that Jason Kidd is a better and more versatile defender. Now there have been times during the season when Steve Nash's defense has been a weakness for the team. It's not for a lack of effort though. Especially in the playoffs he has been putting forth 110% effort on almost every defensive possession. His defense has not been a problem.

Of course the off the court differences are huge as well. Jason Kidd is a world class a-hole while Steve Nash is just world-class.

Joe Mama

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Certainly. Kidd took that average Nets team to the Finals (albeit in the VERY weak East). Now replace Kenyon Martin with Amare, Jefferson with Marion, Kittles with JJ, Lucious Harris with JJ2. That team would have done very well.

Kidd is a better ball handler/passer than Nash, but Nash's shooting opens up easier passes and more options on offense. I'm really glad how things have worked out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan