How about Jim Jackson tonight!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Kidd is a better ball handler/passer than Nash

Wow, I don't know - Kidd never made me swoon at the grace, precision, and just plain beauty of his ball handling - Nash does it almost every game. Of course - Kidd didn't have Amare to put the perfect flourish on it, either. Together, Nash and Amare make magic sometimes.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Jim Jackson had a great game last night and how about these impressive stats,

45 minutes, 21 points, 5 rebounds,
1 knee to Howards gut,
1 finger into Nowitzkis eye!

He took those two players out of their game for part of the game!!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tobiazz said:
Kidd is a better ball handler/passer than Nash, but Nash's shooting opens up easier passes and more options on offense. I'm really glad how things have worked out.

I have to disagree. Jason Kidd might be faster in the open floor. In fact I'm sure he is. He's probably the fastest person in transition that I've ever seen. However he isn't a better ball handler or a better passer. At least not IMO. I would call that one a drawl.

Jason Kidd isn't as good defensively as he was a few years ago. He doesn't have the same movement since his knee injury. He had no business being on the NBA defensive team. That was sheer reputation.

Joe Mama

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Jason Kidd couldn't run that pick and roll like Nash because he can't hit the jumper consistently. Plus Nash can hit the three with consistency. J Kidd is a better rebounder, but he didn't push the ball as much as Nash.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Jason Kidd couldn't run that pick and roll like Nash because he can't hit the jumper consistently. Plus Nash can hit the three with consistency. J Kidd is a better rebounder, but he didn't push the ball as much as Nash.

Jason Kidd didn't push the ball as much as Nash? I beg to differ. The New Jersey Nets teams that went to the finals were great at pushing the ball, and they did it every time they could. Even when Jason Kidd was with the Phoenix Suns he would push the ball at every opportunity. The difference between those teams and this current Phoenix Suns team is that this team also has a great half-court game. That's something the media overlooked when they would talk about this team's chances in the playoffs. The current Phoenix Suns team does not have to push the ball to be successful. Jason Kidd's teams really did. He is a quite average half-court point guard.

Joe Mama

jibikao

Reaction score
tobiazz said:
Certainly. Kidd took that average Nets team to the Finals (albeit in the VERY weak East). Now replace Kenyon Martin with Amare, Jefferson with Marion, Kittles with JJ, Lucious Harris with JJ2. That team would have done very well.

Kidd is a better ball handler/passer than Nash, but Nash's shooting opens up easier passes and more options on offense. I'm really glad how things have worked out.

You know... one of the biggest arguments I hear about Kidd and Nash is that Kidd has brought Nets to the Final twice (I think). I remember the year after Dirk went down in WCF, I basically quit watching 'cause I knew Spurs will kick Nets' arse and they indeed did. Was it 4-0 Spurs??? I couldn't remember any game that Nets have won and I remember in many games, Duncan was sitting on the bench smiling...??

Well, the only thing I can say is the East was too weak. That's why I was wondering if Kidd could bring Suns to the Final in the West because obviously the competition is a lot tougher here.

I think the best thing about Nash is his shooting and penetration and his ability to pass with his left hand that most PGs can't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
J Kidd is a better rebounder, but he didn't push the ball as much as Nash.

Also disagree there. For all his faults (and there were a lot), I think Kidd had an idea that he wasn't a great spot-up shooter. Because of that, he pushed it as much as was humanly possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick comment on Kidd vs Nash.

I will not take anything away from Kidd's talent as a great point guard.

The primary reason I would rather have Nash is his competitive fire and committment to playing team basketball. Sure Kidd has these qualities but Nash takes the team and the players around him to another level... it's almost like he emotionally wills his team to win. Plus he can shoot better and more importantly than most PGs, knows when to shoot.

He is like a great quarterback in football, he continually reads the opposing defense on the run and makes the right decisions spontaneously when the situation changes.

If Nash had a deeper bench to work with on the Suns (so he could get some more rest), I believe he would even be better. I believe alot of times when he does miss a good shot it is fatigue. How many times has Nash returned to the lieneup without sufficient rest and rescued this team? I will answer my own question... too many times.

He is the ultimate team player... I respect him so much. :thumbup:

jibikao

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Just a quick comment on Kidd vs Nash.

I will not take anything away from Kidd's talent as a great point guard.

The primary reason I would rather have Nash is his competitive fire and committment to playing team basketball. Sure Kidd has these qualities but Nash takes the team and the players around him to another level... it's almost like he emotionally wills his team to win. Plus he can shoot better and more importantly than most PGs, knows when to shoot.

He is like a great quarterback in football, he continually reads the opposing defense on the run and makes the right decisions spontaneously when the situation changes.

If Nash had a deeper bench to work with on the Suns (so he could get some more rest), I believe he would even be better. I believe alot of times when he does miss a good shot it is fatigue. How many times has Nash returned to the lieneup without sufficient rest and rescued this team? I will answer my own question... too many times.

He is the ultimate team player... I respect him so much. :thumbup:

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Your memory is beyond bizarre...that is just uncanny. I am impressed.

it's freakish really. and i am exposed it to it a lot more than the rest of you.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I have to disagree. Jason Kidd might be faster in the open floor. In fact I'm sure he is. He's probably the fastest person in transition that I've ever seen. However he isn't a better ball handler or a better passer. At least not IMO. I would call that one a drawl.

As far as the open floor, JKidd is prob the best. He would ride up the defender's ass to the hoop. Of course, we all know how much it sucked when we had to run the half-court offense (that's what Penny was supposed to be for).

As far as passing goes, Nash is a lesser Stockton, but Kidd is a lesser Magic Johnson. Which would you prefer? We have all seen those no-look passes and great oops.

Please don't think I would trade Nash for Kidd. That is not my point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tobiazz said:
As far as the open floor, JKidd is prob the best. He would ride up the defender's ass to the hoop. Of course, we all know how much it sucked when we had to run the half-court offense (that's what Penny was supposed to be for).

As far as passing goes, Nash is a lesser Stockton, but Kidd is a lesser Magic Johnson. Which would you prefer? We have all seen those no-look passes and great oops.

Please don't think I would trade Nash for Kidd. That is not my point.

okay - Nash may be a lesser Stockton (which I agree with - but not by much at this point in his career, especially this year) but saying Kidd is a lesser Magic is too simplistic Kidd is a MUCH LESSER Magic. Kidd can't post anyone, can't shoot and when faced with rteal competition (in the West) was never able to elevate his game in the playoffs.

Let's look at it this way - let's look at Nash's teams throughout his career - he's stewarded two team to 60 win season, is on the verge of being in his 2nd WCF and continually had the Mavs at least advanicing out of the first round in the West - vs. Kidd - in the West - his teams always got smacked around by the best, he never won 60 games and nhever got even close to the WCF.

Nash in a heartbeat.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I've got to admit I never would've associated words like "heart", "desire", "grit", etc with Jackson when we traded for him. But, he showed all of those things in that fourth quarter. The putback of his own miss was, IMO, the point when the game turned in our favor for good. If he doesn't step up there, who knows what happens.

I have always liked Jackson, he has been much maligned by impressions given to us by the media. They have made assumption in regards to his relationship with Kidd when he was on the Mavs and also that he has a bad attitude because he gets traded all the time. All the trades that he has been associated with have been chronicled and they were made for various reasons not associated with his behavior.

I am a University of Iowa grad and remember him being clutch at The Ohio State University. His temperment has always been very similar to Joe Johnson, just a quiet assassin. I like the fact that he is wearing Joe's #2 as a tribute to the other JJ, that's class.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anybody have a picture of JimJ pointing to JJ's number on his sleeve after hitting the big 3 point basket?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan