How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Before anyone says anything, this isn't because I am a Suns fan and I hate he Lakers.

It's a legit question.

How are they "the team to beat" when their current roster has done ziltch? I mean really, you have "experts" right and left saying they are the team to beat. Why? Because they have played well for like 10 games? There is still like 20+ games left, if they play like that until the season ends, sure there is reason behind it.

Until then, they aren't the team to beat.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Outside of SA nobody's roster has done anything, but the Lakers seem to have the most complete roster with the fewest holes.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I'm not sure about "the team" to beat but they will certainly be "a tough team" to beat...

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
I think people consider the Lakers the team to be IF Bynum comes back healthy.

The reasoning for it is they have the best player in the league in Kobe. The biggest and maybe the most versatile front court in the NBA with Bynum (7-1), Pau(7-1), and Odom(6-11). A championship PG in Derek Fisher. The best coach in the history of the NBA. Argueably the deepest bench in the league with Farmar, Turiaf, Radmonavic, Walton, Vujacic, and Ariza (if healthy). They have shown the ability to score in the half court and in transition. Their frontcourt guys are athletic enough to defend pick-and-rolls. Their bench gives them advantages in long series, as well as gives them an ability to deal with injuries. A healthy Bynum gives them a very good rebounder and shotblocker that is always a big factor in the playoffs.

I am not saying they are going to win the whole thing, becasue there are too many variables right now. However, I doubt anything I wrote here would convince you, because as you said you hate the Lakers.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought on this:

1. Total accomplishment. It doesn't matter how much progress you made during the playoffs, and which round you made it to, unless you win it all. Under this theory, the Spurs are still the team to beat, as the only team that had a truly successful 2006-2007 season.

2. Fractional accomplishments. Winning a playoff series, or making it to the Conference Finals, for example, counts for something, albeit something much less than winning it all. Under this theory, the Lakers have done nothing for 3 years and that will remain the case until they actually win a playoff series this season (no guarantees on that, either, since the West is packed with good teams at every seeding position.) Also, as a Western Conference Finals team, the Suns had a better year last season than two dozen other teams, including the Lakers.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Before anyone says anything, this isn't because I am a Suns fan and I hate he Lakers.

It's a legit question.
No, it's not. Anyone with two eyes can see that they're a legit championship contender and healthy they have on paper arguably the most talented team in the NBA on with the best coach. That being said, they're not unbeatable. Kerr needs to get a couple more things done and D'Antoni needs to figure out a way for the new pieces to be effective.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest i think the Lakers are the most complete team in the league. Probably the best on paper for the last few years and i think with a great coach like Phil and Kobe playing the team game, they are indeed the top 1 or 2 teams to beat. You can't forget about the Spurs but i think and it pains me to say it, LA is up there with them. Thery are an awesome, imposing team.

God i hate them.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought on this:

1. Total accomplishment. It doesn't matter how much progress you made during the playoffs, and which round you made it to, unless you win it all. Under this theory, the Spurs are still the team to beat, as the only team that had a truly successful 2006-2007 season.

2. Fractional accomplishments. Winning a playoff series, or making it to the Conference Finals, for example, counts for something, albeit something much less than winning it all. Under this theory, the Lakers have done nothing for 3 years and that will remain the case until they actually win a playoff series this season (no guarantees on that, either, since the West is packed with good teams at every seeding position.) Also, as a Western Conference Finals team, the Suns had a better year last season than two dozen other teams, including the Lakers.

There is also the school of thought, that nothing before this year really matters. Look at the New York Giants in the NFL.

Fact is, playoff pedigree is great, and I would rather have that on my side than not. However, once the playoffs start it really doesn't matter. All that matters is how well your team is playing at the time, how that team matches up with the opposition, and which team deals with issues the best.

It is also very true that the Lakers have done nothing the last 3 years in the playoffs. However, I find it hard to discount the experience of Kobe, Fisher, and Phil. Obviously, that doesn't mean they are guranteed anything, but it also doesn't mean that they are completely newbies to the situations.

At this point, I still say the Spurs are the team to beat. However, more so than any year I can remember, there are 6 or so teams with legitimate championsip aspirations, IMO. Spurs, Lakers, Suns, Jazz, Pistons, and the Celtics. Plus, teams like the Mavs, Hornets and Cavs that feel they may be able to as well.

Last edited:

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
they keep making their shots like they did to phx last night and Kobe not being covered....they definately are one of the top contenders and the team to beat

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a legit question.

How are they "the team to beat" when their current roster has done ziltch? I mean really, you have "experts" right and left saying they are the team to beat. Why? Because they have played well for like 10 games? There is still like 20+ games left, if they play like that until the season ends, sure there is reason behind it.

Oh give me a freaking break. You were a Laker fan for years. You join the board when the Suns get Shaq, most of your posts are about him, blah blah blah. You and AceP need to stop acting like diehard Suns fans.

Hello, my name is Andrew and I am new here. You can call me a bandwagoner, but I follow Shaq, I always have. I absolutely loved the Miami Heat and Dwyane Wade and will be a fan of his forever

However, it is my obligation to move on and become a Suns fan. I will admit, I have secretly liked the Suns since they acquired Nash many seasons ago and now I can say it.

~snip~

I started my basketball fandom in Florida with the Orlando Magic and in a few years, the shift to being a Lakers fan consumed me. I was all about the Los Angeles Lakers, they could do no wrong in my eyes.

I was completely dumbfounded when Shaq was traded to Miami, but knew in my heart it was for the best. Just the way some of the guys on the team carried themselves (Bryant) it was easy to let go and move on.

Sure I got called a bandwagoner and stuff when I first started coming to this forum. However, this team was different. The moment I came here I was a Miami Heat fan. I absolutely loved and still love the Heat. I admire the whole team, especially O’Neal and Wade, but I love all the past and current players along with Riley too.

So if this rumor turns out to be true. It ends this chapter in my life and I am sad and guilty to see it go. You can call me a bandwagoner all you want, but I am first and foremost a Shaq fan and I go where he goes. I have always been like that.

I seriously thought this was his last team and I was completely shocked to hear about all of this in the matter of hours. I have an ill feeling in the pit of my stomach right now.

It pains me to just up and leave the Heat, but I have to. I owe it to Shaquille O’Neal. Words can’t express how much that man means to me.

I feel more guilty than anything…leaving this behind in the matter of hours. I don’t want any ill feelings towards me, but if you have some, I am not shocked.

Dwyane Wade is and always will be a huge part of my life and I will be a fan of his forever.

You and the Suns might be linked forever since Shaq will retire here, but seriously, come on. The diehard from day one routine? Come on.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure about "the team" to beat but they will certainly be "a tough team" to beat...
:yeahthat:
green machine said: Outside of SA nobody's roster has done anything, but the Lakers seem to have the most complete roster with the fewest holes.

^ That too.

The Sterns are the team to beat.
I think its safe to say that there are several teams built to win it all at this point.

It will be very interesting.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
Oh give me a freaking break. You were a Laker fan for years. You join the board when the Suns get Shaq, most of your posts are about him, blah blah blah. You and AceP need to stop acting like diehard Suns fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Hello, my name is Andrew and I am new here. You can call me a bandwagoner, but I follow Shaq, I always have. I absolutely loved the Miami Heat and Dwyane Wade and will be a fan of his forever

However, it is my obligation to move on and become a Suns fan. I will admit, I have secretly liked the Suns since they acquired Nash many seasons ago and now I can say it.

~snip~

I started my basketball fandom in Florida with the Orlando Magic and in a few years, the shift to being a Lakers fan consumed me. I was all about the Los Angeles Lakers, they could do no wrong in my eyes.

I was completely dumbfounded when Shaq was traded to Miami, but knew in my heart it was for the best. Just the way some of the guys on the team carried themselves (Bryant) it was easy to let go and move on.

Sure I got called a bandwagoner and stuff when I first started coming to this forum. However, this team was different. The moment I came here I was a Miami Heat fan. I absolutely loved and still love the Heat. I admire the whole team, especially O’Neal and Wade, but I love all the past and current players along with Riley too.

So if this rumor turns out to be true. It ends this chapter in my life and I am sad and guilty to see it go. You can call me a bandwagoner all you want, but I am first and foremost a Shaq fan and I go where he goes. I have always been like that.

I seriously thought this was his last team and I was completely shocked to hear about all of this in the matter of hours. I have an ill feeling in the pit of my stomach right now.

It pains me to just up and leave the Heat, but I have to. I owe it to Shaquille O’Neal. Words can’t express how much that man means to me.

I feel more guilty than anything…leaving this behind in the matter of hours. I don’t want any ill feelings towards me, but if you have some, I am not shocked.

Dwyane Wade is and always will be a huge part of my life and I will be a fan of his forever.

You and the Suns might be linked forever since Shaq will retire here, but seriously, come on. The diehard from day one routine? Come on.

Ouch.

Andrew, dude seriously?!?! Pick a team, and stick with them. You will appreciate the journey and the success much more.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Right on Donald, way to expose the Troll! :thumbup:

On that note though, I don't personally consider the Lakers "The team to beat." In my opinion, the team to beat is the defending Champion San Antonio Spurs. They are the best team in the NBA until someone proves otherwise. The Suns, The Lakers, The Hornets, The Mavs, they are all the hunters. San Antonio is the hunted. When the playoffs start, one of them will have to prove that they don't hunt what they can't kill if they want to be "the team."

I am very happy with the Lakers, I'm optimistic, I like our chances, but I'm not ready to declare them "The Team" just because they won 3 games against Phoenix. That's just silly.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Because they are the Lakers.

If the Lakers are good at all the media fawns all over them.

They are playing very well and are clearly one of the best teams in the league. Any claim that they are "THE" team to beat is premature at best.

nowagimp

Reaction score

It's a legit question.

Probably because the spurs have looked dysfunctional, and the suns have question marks, and the hornets are young. With the suns, I think alot of observers have convinced themselves that amare stoudemire isnt that good, and Nash and shaq are old. Hey it will have to prove itself out anyway and these geniuses have been wrong before, many times.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on Donald, way to expose the Troll!

I don't think he's a Troll, he's a legit Suns fan now, but I just think its weird how he and AceP are all "all we need to do is this and this" and act like they've been Suns fans forever. AceP in the game thread said something like "ooh, remember though the last time we played the Lakers they blew us out" to which I responded "no, the last time they played the Lakers the Suns won." It's just silly.

It's ok to be a fan of a player and bounce with him from team to team, I guess. But have some respect for the long-suffering Suns fans who earned their stripes. Some of us Laker fans may give a hard time to Suns fans with the empty trophy case junk, but they are by far the best team to have never won a title. They aren't bouncing around from team to team with Marion or Joe Johnson or what have you.

And I'm sure there are a ton of Suns fans who would like me to shut up about it, too. I get that. But really, Shaq fan talking about how he's a Suns fan and hates the Lakers is just plain silly.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Donald, I have seen a couple of times u tried to get me involved in these silly talks. I'm sure u have also noticed that I never replied. Sorry to disappoint u.

I only talk about basketball matters.

I've been watching NBA for way too many years. Watching so many great comes and goes, I learnd something for life. All I can say is, ur attitude upon others r completely nonsense, pretty much just wasting of ur own time.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
well, I'm not a diehard Suns fan. I used to hate Nash, but O'neal's here, changes the situation. :)

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will never understand floating from team to team. I don't get that? What do you do when Shaq retires? Latch onto someone else? That's as bad IMO as the women I used to work with who suddenly became Green Bay fans and self proclaimed experts because they thought Farve was cute, or people who latch on to the team who wins the championship and have the balls to talk trash like they've earned anything. All of my teams (1 in each sport) sucked for years, I dealt w/ the trash talk, no big deal.. but, when 2 out of 3 (Suns being the exception so far) won it all, it was satisfying, in some way it felt earned. To each their own I guess...

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score
I will never understand floating from team to team. I don't get that? What do you do when Shaq retires? Latch onto someone else? That's as bad IMO as the women I used to work with who suddenly became Green Bay fans and self proclaimed experts because they thought Farve was cute, or people who latch on to the team who wins the championship and have the balls to talk trash like they've earned anything. All of my teams (1 in each sport) sucked for years, I dealt w/ the trash talk, no big deal.. but, when 2 out of 3 (Suns being the exception so far) won it all, it was satisfying, in some way it felt earned. To each their own I guess...

kind of reminds me of patriot* fans

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
What would the Kobe fans do if he went to the Bucks? A great number would follow I suspect.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I'm not a diehard Suns fan. I used to hate Nash, but O'neal's here, changes the situation. :)

Nothing wrong with that. You'll end up liking Nash a lot. He's "the enemy" and I can't help but respect him...he's a stud.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think he's a Troll, he's a legit Suns fan now, but I just think its weird how he and AceP are all "all we need to do is this and this" and act like they've been Suns fans forever. AceP in the game thread said something like "ooh, remember though the last time we played the Lakers they blew us out" to which I responded "no, the last time they played the Lakers the Suns won." It's just silly.

It's ok to be a fan of a player and bounce with him from team to team, I guess. But have some respect for the long-suffering Suns fans who earned their stripes. Some of us Laker fans may give a hard time to Suns fans with the empty trophy case junk, but they are by far the best team to have never won a title. They aren't bouncing around from team to team with Marion or Joe Johnson or what have you.

And I'm sure there are a ton of Suns fans who would like me to shut up about it, too. I get that. But really, Shaq fan talking about how he's a Suns fan and hates the Lakers is just plain silly.

You put yourself and other Laker fans on a pedestal. You know Laker fans aren't immune to being band wagoners either, right?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05