How Bad Is Lue?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In another thread there was some discussion about Marcus Banks, but he does not appear to be any better than Barbosa when it comes to running the offense. It struck me that if the Suns are seeking a third string PG, Tyrone Lue is at least statitically more promising.

Tyronn Lue
Atlanta Hawks
Position: G
Height: 6-0 Weight: 178
College : Nebraska
Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
PPG 11.2
RPG 2.1
APG 4.6
SPG .47
BPG .00
FG% .451
FT% .861
3P% .355
MPG 28.7

This included time with Houston, his Atlanta stats were a bit better as he averaged 13.5 ppg and 5.4 assists.

HoopsHype
"Great quickness... Good defender... Takes care of the ball... Can consistently create his own shot and hit it... Excels in the open court."

He had a better than two assists per turnover ratio. What is it about his game that turns people off while guys with minimal offensive skills like Watson get so much love?

One possibility is that his defense is not very good. Dan Rosebaum has Lue rated very poorly as a defender. 82 Games.com
Some of this may be that he is too small to guard big PG's, which is why the Hawks wanted JJ and why Diaw got minutes at the point.

I'm not really advocating Lue. I really don't know if he is worth a minimum contract, but he looks more promisng than some of the guys that get more attention.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Lue is worth a minimum contract. I think he can play.

I have always thought he was rated as a good defensive player?

It appears he is going back to Atlanta, but have wondered about him for the suns like you have. He would be a great fit here, he can run a team and he can shoot, what's not to like!

fordronken

Reaction score
Lue is rail thin. Also, his defense is overrated in my opinion. As far as I can tell his entire career is based on a few games in the finals where he guarded Iverson for the Lakers. The way I recall it, his defense was so grabby that I can't imagine him being able to get away with it anymore with these rule changes. A friend of mine gave him the nickname "backpack" during that Finals streatch.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I got to see him play a whole season as starting PG for Orlando. He's actually a decent player - he has a nice shot and can handle the ball, he's just a - short, and b - not that great at running an offense. He's def worth the minimum.

azn822

Reaction score
everytime i see him, I just remember him laying on the floor after getting crossed up by AI.