3.) Enright
4.) Kennedy
5.) Saunders

I like it!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Parker won't be ready of that role.

Agree, no way Parker is ready to pitch at the MLB level. I think he needs to get some innings in and maybe he gets called up during the year. Right now I would be more worried about signing a closer for the 2011 season. Below is a list of closers who will be free agents:

Octavio Dotel (37) - $4.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Frank Francisco (31)
Brian Fuentes (35)
Kevin Gregg (33) - $4.5MM club option for '11, $8.75MM for '11-'12
Trevor Hoffman (43) - mutual option worth $7-8.5MM; buyout at $500K-1MM
Chad Qualls (32)
Jon Rauch (32)
Mariano Rivera (41)
Rafael Soriano (31)
Billy Wagner (39) - $6.5MM option vests with 50 games finished
Kerry Wood (34) - $11MM club option

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree, no way Parker is ready to pitch at the MLB level. I think he needs to get some innings in and maybe he gets called up during the year. Right now I would be more worried about signing a closer for the 2011 season. Below is a list of closers who will be free agents:

Frank Francisco (31)
Brian Fuentes (35)
Chad Qualls (32)
Jon Rauch (32)
Mariano Rivera (41)
Rafael Soriano (31)

I figure the bullpen should be where we spend all our FA money. We really don't need any position player if we keep LaRoche & Johnson and bring up Allen all positions including the bench are filled. I would go nuts and sign Francisco, Fuentes and Soriano as long as none are Type A FA's. I would have no problems letting go of Heilman, Gutierrez and Co to make room.

p27159

Reaction score
The '11 starting rotation

1.) Hudson
2.) Parker
3.) Enright
4.) Kennedy
5.) Saunders

I like it!

I'd like it better if we had a legitimate ace at the top of the roatation instead of that mediocre guy in the 5th spot, somebody along the lines of maybe a Dan Haren.... :sad:

OK, if we take all the money we saved from Haren vs Saunders and put it toward the pen, maybe we'll be a better team overall, but I'm still skeptical if we go out of our way to sign middle relief guys with a small sample size of previous success.

aznando

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't think Parker will be ready and I could really do without Saunders in the 5th spot. Maybe someone who may have some upside for cheap. Like a Sergio Mitre or Todd Wellemeyer if healthy or some other minor league free agent. There are alot of guys you can invite to camp and have them compete. It would be nice to have an Ace though.

Aznando

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

Frank Francisco (31)
Brian Fuentes (35)
Chad Qualls (32)
Jon Rauch (32)
Mariano Rivera (41)
Rafael Soriano (31)

Outside of Soriano, Hoffman and Wagner (both of whm are a little too old for my liking), that list is a gigantic pile of crud.

As for the rotation suggested, I'm by no means against it, however I don't think Parker will be up next year. I'd like to see them grab a one or two year veteran rental at the spot.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
even if Parker does make the rotation no way he goes up to number 2 that fast.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The '11 starting rotation

1.) Hudson
2.) Parker
3.) Enright
4.) Kennedy
5.) Saunders

I like it!

Hudson a #1? Where I have heard that before... ;)

Would be nice to see Parker pitch effectively as a #2 at the major league level... not sure about that.
Also, I don't see Enright ahead of Kennedy. I think we saw late this year that Kennedy's pedigree and skills outlasted Enright.

Towers will aggressively go after a prime-time closer. He has said this over and over... I would be shocked if we don't end up with a stud in the pen. Might well take a trade, but whatever it takes, it appears Towers is ready to act. He believes you start with the closer first, and then build back to your starting pitching. And he's right. The 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys are so much more important today. How many leads did the D-backs blow this year?? :bang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05