how does the salary cap work?

pacster

Reaction score
sorry bit of a newbie when it comes to salary caps but basically teams gotta be under 70m$ ? and if they go over then sarver has to pay out of his own pocket? how much over can you go cos it seems the mavs were over 90m for this season...

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
sorry bit of a newbie when it comes to salary caps but basically teams gotta be under 70m$ ? and if they go over then sarver has to pay out of his own pocket? how much over can you go cos it seems the mavs were over 90m for this season...

That is the luxury tax line.

It changes every year because of some funky formula, it will most likely be I think somewhere in the 69-71 million range this next season.

When you go over it by say 1 million, you pay an extra 1 million. That is why the suns are sort of screwed because we are looking at a 78-80 million team before luxury tax this next year.

Mark Cuban is a billionaire, that is why he has a 93 million team and people hate him.

OP
OP
P

pacster

Reaction score
well isn't that unfair and defeat the purpose of salary caps if some teams have billionaire owners who plough in their own money not caring if they go over the luxury tax? sarver isn't that poor is he? i read somewhere he's worth like 400m$... next season could be our last chance of winning the league so why can't he be willing to pay a few million himself so that we can keep this team? and if we win next year surely he will reap the returns that come with having a championship team?

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
well isn't that unfair and defeat the purpose of salary caps if some teams have billionaire owners who plough in their own money not caring if they go over the luxury tax?

Exactly!

You have billionaire owners like mark cuban, large markets like NY that can throw around money, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum teams like the spurs that get so lucky it could make you puke. They draft duncan and also manage to sign all their core players to ridiculously cheap contracts.

Then what happends? This creates a giant sinkhole since everyone then overspends on big ego NBA stars asking for money in a desperate attempt to compete and bam you have so many teams above or near the luxury tax line while the spurs laugh it up.

Basically, the entire system is a complete mess.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Cuban dumped Finley for purely financial reasons, and that decision has come back to haunt him in a big way. So even though he has more money than God, he does try to stay within some sort of budget, including at the possible expense of his team's success.

OP
OP
P

pacster

Reaction score
well i guess you gotta be real wise when you draw up contracts... diaw 1.5m rises to 9m for next season... that is just insane... yea he had a break out season last year but it shoulda been more in the barbosa range of 33m not 45m... even 33m seems to high now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Cuban dumped Finley for purely financial reasons, and that decision has come back to haunt him in a big way. So even though he has more money than God, he does try to stay within some sort of budget, including at the possible expense of his team's success.

Almost the same with Nash although I believe Cuban offered Nash a lesser amount of money than Phoenix. I bet Cuban loses sleep every night about signing a player like Dampier and thinking what he should have kept.

Also (not related) I still can't believe Boston gave up so quickly on JJ. In that Delk/ Rogers trade to Boston didn't Phoenix actually want another rookie instead of JJ? I can't even remember the names of those Boston rookies... maybe Forte is another. There was one more that was rumored (or I believe) Phoenix may have liked more.

Last edited: