How to identify NFL's best quarterbacks

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/41811/how-to-identify-nfls-best-quarterbacks

How to identify NFL's best quarterbacks
August, 1, 2011

Mike Sando

The late Don Smith never claimed his passer-rating formula was perfect.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

"Some people call it a quarterback rating system, but that really is not what it is," Smith told me during a 2002 interview. "It’s simply a passing statistic."

I've actually defended Smith's rating system because the quarterbacks with the highest ratings -- Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers led the way last season -- usually are the best quarterbacks. But there's so much more to quarterbacking than passing stats for touchdowns, interceptions, attempts, completions and yardage.

Game situations should count for something, and now they do.

With input from football people, including ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, our statistical analysts have developed a 100-point ratings scale for quarterbacks taking into account advanced stats, game situations and relevant non-passing stats, including fumbles and sacks, to evaluate quarterbacks far more thoroughly. The methodology is complex -- one of the formula's key algorithms spans some 10,000 lines -- but the resulting "Total Quarterback Rating" (QBR for short) beats the old passer rating in every conceivable fashion. The ratings scale will debut this season.

[+] Enlarge
Al Bello/Getty Images
According to an outline for the rating system, Tom Brady would fall in the "top tier" category.I've been bugging the Stats & Information team for a sneak peak ever since learning former NBA statistical analyst Dean Oliver had joined our production analytics unit and was playing a prominent role in QBR development. Oliver, a Caltech grad with a Ph.D. in statistical applications, revolutionized how NBA teams use advanced statistics. Menlo College professor Ben Alamar, who has consulted with the San Francisco 49ers, is also part of the team.

Our stats team has been using game video to track stats relating to pressure, personnel, formation, game situation and more since 2008. The QBR stat represents a significant leap in harnessing those statistics for something more.

The old formula Smith created treated stats the same regardless of circumstance. A touchdown pass thrown against a prevent defense during a blowout defeat equals one thrown against pressure to win the game. A 5-yard completion on third-and-4 counts the same as a 5-yarder on third-and-15. A critical quarterback scramble, sack or fumble doesn't even factor.

"There is no way to statistically say how effective a guy is under fire," Smith lamented during our 2002 conversation. "None of that can be put into something like this."

Now it can, along with a whole lot more.

The QBR formula takes into account down, distance, field position, time remaining, rushing, passing sacks, fumbles, interceptions, how far each pass travels in the air, from where on the field the ball was thrown, yards after the catch, dropped balls, defensed balls, whether the quarterback was hit, whether he threw away the ball to avoid a sack, whether the pass was thrown accurately, etc. Each play carries "clutch weight" based on its importance to game outcome, as determined by analyzing those 60,000 plays since 2008. The stats adjust for quarterbacks facing an unusually high number of these situations.

"If it is a running clock late in the game, maybe you only get a few yards here or there, that is the right football play to make," Jeff Bennett, senior director of ESPN's production analytics team, said Sunday. "We spent a month learning about ratings to make sure quarterbacks couldn’t game the system, so they're not afraid to throw that deep pass at the end of the first half and risk an interception."

I've seen an outline for the rating system breaking down 2010 quarterbacks into six general categories, from top tier to poor. Precise rating numbers were not yet available. The quarterbacks under consideration broke down as follows:

•Top tier: Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Michael Vick, Rodgers and Drew Brees.

•Well above average: Josh Freeman, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

•Above average: Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, David Garrard and Kerry Collins.

•Around average: Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Colt McCoy, Kyle Orton and Jon Kitna.

•Below average: Shaun Hill, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Chad Henne, Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford and Alex Smith.

•Poor: Derek Anderon, Brett Favre and Jimmy Clausen.

ESPN plans to enlist several quarterbacks when introducing the stat during an hour-long "SportsCenter" special Aug. 5 at 8 p.m. ET. We'll be referencing the stat on the blogs and elsewhere. Bennett said he's allocating enough manpower to produce ratings on game days, a huge help for those of us analyzing player performances shortly after games.

"We want to reward a good football play," Bennett said.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favre is poor? great system I see. Anything that lumps him with anderson is broken .

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I would even question Brees being top-tier in 2010. 3.3% INT isn't "high" per se but compared to the actual top tier of guys it is. 7.0 ypa isn't top tier either. 22 INT's total when Brady, Cassel and others were below 10.

Not saying he was "bad" or anything like that but if this is a comprehensive formula then it's hard for me to understand how Brees is at the very top after last year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would even question Brees being top-tier in 2010. 3.3% INT isn't "high" per se but compared to the actual top tier of guys it is. 7.0 ypa isn't top tier either. 22 INT's total when Brady, Cassel and others were below 10.

Not saying he was "bad" or anything like that but if this is a comprehensive formula then it's hard for me to understand how Brees is at the very top after last year.
Agree.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I thought you measured the top QB's based on how much jewelry they have?? With that one anomaly in Baltimore that year.....

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. yes he did.

I thought he retired for real prior to the season? Or did he play some and then retire? Honestly with the whole DA fiasco I turned off football in about week 5 or 6 and missed pretty much everything.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
the resulting "Total Quarterback Rating" (QBR for short) beats the old passer rating in every conceivable fashion.

Strange. Looks like the same QBs rated at the same level to me. In fact you could just about ask somebody like K9 to rank the QBs and come up with about the same list.

10,000 line algorithms still can't beat the eyeball test.

:D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he retired for real prior to the season? Or did he play some and then retire? Honestly with the whole DA fiasco I turned off football in about week 5 or 6 and missed pretty much everything.
Bears retired him for good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wait to see the actual stat but I don't for the life of me understand why distance the ball travelled in the air would be relevant?

Sometimes the best pass is the dumpoff at the last second before being hit that goes about 3 yards and then you gain 25-30 on the catch and run. If I understood that description correctly it sounds like they wouldn't credit a QB for that because the ball didn't travel far in the air.

For example Derek Anderson was terrible at everything but one of the things he did worst was those short touch passes to backs and TE's, we almost never got big gains on them because he was so inaccurate nobody ever caught the ball in stride or setup to run after the catch.

Seems like a very interesting idea I'm just not sure from the description that it won't be circular reasoning this is the 5 I think are best, and this is the formula I came up with that results in them finishing top 5?

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I actually kind of feel bad for Favre. I don't think he wanted to play last year but when a team is shoving $18M in your face, letting him skip training camp, giving him everything he wants...well, I can see the temptation.

I also don't think he was healthy most of the year, nor was Rice and losing Chester Taylor...all the magic they had in '09 was just lost in '10. Too many expectations, too much pressure, guys not performing like they did in '09.

It was a sad way for Favre's great career to end. I was kind of hoping for an Elway like finish for Favre. Sure, he's a diva but I wouldn't have had a problem with him going out on top.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
anything that helps tell a complete picture is welcome. "the eyeball test" is as subjective as it gets so if I can get more info than I am happy to have it. bring it on.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
anything that helps tell a complete picture is welcome. "the eyeball test" is as subjective as it gets so if I can get more info than I am happy to have it. bring it on.

That's fine if you like the stats but like others have said any rating system will also be subjective based on the creators prejudices toward what variables are more important than others.

Speaking of QB ratings:

I'd like to see a ranking of QBs by one of the outfits that runs 100s of fantasy leagues based on where the QB was drafted by their fantasy teams.

X number of points for 1st pick in round one and declining from there for instance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the big problems with the original formula is as the inventor said it was NOT a QB rating, it's a passer rating. That's different because all he was trying to measure is what QB's did when passing the ball.

There are very few cases of QB's with great ratings who stunk and QB's with mediocre ratings who were great.

I just think yards per attempt is pretty hard to beat as opposed to try and quantify distance the ball travels in the air. The fact is what you really care about is how many yards did you get, not how did you get them.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
That's fine if you like the stats but like others have said any rating system will also be subjective based on the creators prejudices toward what variables are more important than others.

There is enough data to go on now that they can compare the stats that QBs have towards wins produced. If you break down each individual stat and compare it to wins that is probably the least subjective you can get. Law of averages will pretty much take care of any outliers at this point.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One of the big problems with the original formula is as the inventor said it was NOT a QB rating, it's a passer rating. That's different because all he was trying to measure is what QB's did when passing the ball.

There are very few cases of QB's with great ratings who stunk and QB's with mediocre ratings who were great.

I just think yards per attempt is pretty hard to beat as opposed to try and quantify distance the ball travels in the air. The fact is what you really care about is how many yards did you get, not how did you get them.

That is always a problem when debating who were or are the top QBs because no one defines whether the discussion is about who is the best passer or who is the best overall QB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05