Humphries tore his ACL

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
He's under contract for 2024 and 2025 right now, but he has no guaranteed salary in either season. We'd save a little over $9 million on the cap by releasing him and save nearly $16 million in 2024 cap money if we designate him a June 1st cut.

I don't recall if you can release an injured player in this situation, but it's certainly possible if extremely cold-blooded.
Took me awhile to find something definitive on this, but it doesn't appear he has guaranteed money for injury remaining, so we could still release him.

"All of Humphries’ fully guaranteed money has been paid out, however. While he would be entitled to a small amount by way of injury protection, the Cardinals could consider a 2024 cut and pick up more than $15MM in cap space (via a post-June 1 designation). Though, it is too early to make assumptions there."

From what I can tell, in the last CBA there was an increase to the injury benefit available to all players: "An enhanced injury protection benefit of up to $1 million of a player's salary for the contract year after his injury and up to $500,000 in the second year after his injury." I think this would be the small amount by way of injury protection mentioned above that would apply to DJ if he is released in the offseason while injured.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think if we drafted a tackle at #1 and after drafting PJJ in the previous year you'd definitely see Hump either cut or traded. Too much money/resources tied up in tackles.

A starting quality swing tackle just isn't a luxury this team can afford. Hump is done for 2024 too, so why not save the money/replace this year?

I think you can get 90% of Hump's production at 60% of the cost. I don't think his absence or presence makes a huge difference either way.

Ok - so you're going to pay him not to play this year?

I think if Hump had been healthy, we'd signed a mid-market free agent LG, and drafted Alt or Fashnau the best option to compete for a playoff spot in 2024 would be to sit the free agent, start Hump at LT, and start the rookie at LG.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision on Hump. FWIW, I think the $9 million in additional cap space isn't going to mean much this offseason. I dunno tho.

Are you saying if we drafted an OT #1 - DJ would have still started at LT? If so, disagree.

I think we sign a veteran LG as a starter.

There will be no drop off from Paris to DJ next year and Paris is already WAY better than Humphries earlier in his career.

Losing the leadership of DJ is huge tho.

I disagree with this. I think that Paris was pretty mid as a RT on his own terms, and wasn't that impressive as a LT prospect coming out of the OSU. It's gonna be a problem if Paris is starting at LT and we're also protecting a rookie RT on the other side of the line as they adjust.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here’s hoping we can drop down to three after this weekend… Coax a quarterback needy team into a trade and get our LT and some more possible impact picks.
Move up to 3?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
can't play him or trade him - no choice to be made - this changes everything - I'm sure monti had plans heading into the off-season but unless he wants to cut a big check during free agency this changes everything 100%

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Very few qualified veteran free agents out there at left tackle who could bridge the gap. George Fant (HOU), Donovan Smith (KC), Andrus Peat (NO), and Josh Jones (HOU) are likely to be out there.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I think that Paris was pretty mid as a RT on his own terms, and wasn't that impressive as a LT prospect coming out of the OSU. It's gonna be a problem if Paris is starting at LT and we're also protecting a rookie RT on the other side of the line as they adjust.

My thought process - DJ is mid and has been during his career.
Paris had to make an adjustment to move to the right side - not always easy and then add the challenge of going up against all pro/grown men vs college players.
Paris is already as good as DJ with a higher ceiling.

We can also agree to disagree. :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
man this sucks. I never even been a Hump fan particularly but I find myself feeling really bad for the guy.
I have always preached loyalty...mostly at players... but teams should be loyal too.. I know it would be a poo business decision... but MO should take this opportunity to extend Hump cheap. at his age Hump still has five years or so of good football in him,,,just suxx that one will be lost over this crap

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if we drafted a tackle at #1 and after drafting PJJ in the previous year you'd definitely see Hump either cut or traded. Too much money/resources tied up in tackles.

A starting quality swing tackle just isn't a luxury this team can afford. Hump is done for 2024 too, so why not save the money/replace this year?

I think you can get 90% of Hump's production at 60% of the cost. I don't think his absence or presence makes a huge difference either way.

Ok - so you're going to pay him not to play this year?
This post is spot on.. no one wanted Hump to get hurt, especially a serious playing injury, but all of the above items are true.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I said this in another thread but what pick you use to add an OT in the draft is more about PJJ than Humphries injury.
agree,, if Paris is going to stay at RT we replace Hump top 5...if Paris can move to LT...we use the Texans pick, or pick 35ish to add an OT

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
agree,, if Paris is going to stay at RT we replace Hump top 5...if Paris can move to LT...we use the Texans pick, or pick 35ish to add an OT
With how this draft class is looking, I think this is accurate. The biggest impact will be in regards to our ability to add a defensive player in the first round. We are a ways out, but OT and WR seem like the clear value at this point based upon where we are picking and what players are coming out.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
With how this draft class is looking, I think this is accurate. The biggest impact will be in regards to our ability to add a defensive player in the first round. We are a ways out, but OT and WR seem like the clear value at this point based upon where we are picking and what players are coming out.
Paris may also determine if we trade or stand pat. If he can be the LT, we trade back a few slots...draft an Odunze...then grab a Verse with the texans pick...and maybe a Mims in the second...would be nice to pick up an additional 2nd round pick to drop back a few spots..
would love Harrison... but I think MO will capitalize on the value if he is there much like he did last season. This is a good draft and an additional 2nd can really help the team going forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05