I am having problems with this JJ deal

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ok, I am not one for conspiracy theories or anything of the like. However, like people have started to mention lately, the Atlanta offer seems to not make any sense.

First off, we know they are loaded at the position although Atlanta will make moves regardless evidence by their draft.

Secondly, Joe never flew into Atlanta nor did he take a physical.

Lastly, while several media outlets mention that Joe will be getting the offer from Atlanta, none of them list Joe as a FA of the market.

For example,

AP said:
Among those still playing the free agent market are Miami guard Damon Jones, Phoenix guard Joe Johnson, Los Angeles Clippers guard Marko Jaric, Portland guard Damon Stoudamire, Minnesota's Mark Madsen and Latrell Sprewell and Atlanta's Tyronn Lue.

Players who have already agreed to new contracts include Ray Allen and Michael Redd, staying in Seattle and Milwaukee, respectively, Udonis Haslem, remaining with Miami, and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who is returning to Cleveland.

Among players planning to change teams, guard Larry Hughes is moving from Washington to Cleveland, forward Donyell Marshall from Toronto to the Cavs, center Jerome James from the SuperSonics to the Knicks, guard Antonio Daniels from Seattle to Washington, forward Stromile Swift from Memphis to Houston, swingman Bobby Simmons from the Clippers to the Bucks and guard Keyon Dooling from Miami to Orlando.

Also, former overall No. 1 draft pick Kwame Brown will be dealt from Washington to the Los Angeles Lakers in a sign-and-trade deal for Caron Butler, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim will go from Portland to New Jersey in another sign-and-trade.

Now the only reason I can think for why Joe isn't being mentioned as signing a new offer is because he is an RFA. However, he shouldn't be considered to still be playing the market if he has agreed to a deal should he?

Of course, ESPN lists him as the number 1 FA left on the market. They only say that it has been rumored for a long time that he will sign the Hawks deal. Why isn't anyone coming out from Atlanta, Joe's camp or the national media saying that for a fact Joe will sign this 4 year 70 million dollar deal?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr, this is part of a previous post made by me on a different thread. This question was never really answered as it applies to JJ (at least not to my satifaction). I think you are touching on the same issue.

The jest is this, couldn't Phoenix say to JJ's agent, the Suns will give JJ Atlanta's max offer in terms of years and money, however, for the team's benefit, let's leave out the 20 million up front offer or other possible kickers in the contract.

If the Suns are really going to resign JJ for the money he wants, does it have to be on Atlanta's terms and does JJ really have to sign Atlanta's offer sheet to get the money from the Suns?

I guess I am not understanding the gamesmanship unless Phoenix wants it's pound of flesh from Atlanta for making the offer and to keep that team's money tied up for as long as possible if JJ signs the offer sheet.

In summary, does JJ really have to sign Atlanta's offer sheet to get the same offer or better offer (more years) from Phoenix. Can't JJ's agent just tell the Suns what Atlanta's offer is going to be and the Suns agree to a contract with JJ without the kickers and perhaps for more years.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
In summary, does JJ really have to sign Atlanta's offer sheet to get the same offer or better offer (more years) from Phoenix. Can't JJ's agent just tell the Suns what Atlanta's offer is going to be and the Suns agree to a contract with JJ without the kickers and perhaps for more years.

That could definitely happen, although for the Suns to maintain Joe's average pay over the life of a 6 year deal he would need to get 84 million over 6. I would rather keep it at 5 million with the upfront payment at that point.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

What if the agent is lying about the offer in general? What if Atlanta does decide to back out? The Suns don't need to believe JJ, his agent, the media or Atlanta until they see an actual offer...otherwise they're just bidding against themselves. Do we know that this 70 mil contract offer by atlanta is legit or is it because we've read about it so many times that we think its legit? I thought they werent allowed to release contract details until this Thursday.

True, i'd rather just see them shell out the extra money, but i dont see them outbidding themselves when they dont know for sure if Atlanta is serious about their offer or even if the contract is all just a fabrication by his agent.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mad Psyentist said:
What if the agent is lying about the offer in general? What if Atlanta does decide to back out? The Suns don't need to believe JJ, his agent, the media or Atlanta until they see an actual offer...otherwise they're just bidding against themselves. Do we know that this 70 mil contract offer by atlanta is legit or is it because we've read about it so many times that we think its legit? I thought they werent allowed to release contract details until this Thursday.

True, i'd rather just see them shell out the extra money, but i dont see them outbidding themselves when they dont know for sure if Atlanta is serious about their offer or even if the contract is all just a fabrication by his agent.

In another thread I made a similar point. I'm not really sure there are many teams with enough cap space to give JJ an offer if the Hawks deal fell through. From JJ's agent's perspective, it makes sense to do everything he can to encourage the Hawks to keep the offer on the table including spreading rumors about JJ being dissatisfied and the Suns getting cold feet.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is just like the Karl Rove situation. The media and the Democrats are trying to say Rove outed an undercover agent, when in fact she was not undercover at the time he name was revealed by whoever (the press or Rove).

His agent (the Dems) and Atlanta newspapers (the media) are trying to keep the story alive about JJ offer (outing a spy) just so they have more leverage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
This is just like the Karl Rove situation. The media and the Democrats are trying to say Rove outed an undercover agent, when in fact she was not undercover at the time he name was revealed by whoever (the press or Rove).

His agent (the Dems) and Atlanta newspapers (the media) are trying to keep the story alive about JJ offer (outing a spy) just so they have more leverage.

If the Suns want to know if this deal is legit, all they have to do is call Atlanta management or wait until Thursday.

In regard to politics, I read this Board to keep away from it.

However, coloradosun, you might well consider a quote from Mark Twain:

“My country, always. My government when it deserves it.”

IMO, what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong, no matter which party does it. Let's stick to what we do best... talk sports.

Tell me again how the Suns are going to acquire Travis Deiner. :)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

Take it to the politics and religion board, Colorado. Nobody wants to read this crap here.

Joe Mama

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05