I have a computer issue!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue, my computer re-started itself. It didn't continue with the reset though, and just like stalled and never completed the re-set. Thankfully I was home when this happened, and so I just turned it off then back on.

Then a few hours later, it did it again, so I just shut it off and left it off.

I called my dad and he said it might be the fans - maybe the computer got too hot and it shut itself off - and to take off the back and to wipe down the fans.

Well, before doing that I was going to turn on the computer one more time. But then when I tried to turn the computer on, it WOULDNT even power up.

I called my dad again and he said it might be a blown fuse, or something is wrong with the power.

What do you guys think? Is it easily fixable?

I really need this like I need a hole in the head.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For your sake I hope you have all your Hanson backed up.

Sounds like you may need a new power supply.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
For your sake I hope you have all your Hanson backed up.

Sounds like you may need a new power supply.

No. I didnt get a chance to send myself all my songs. Please dont make me hyperventilate.

If it's the power supply, how does that affect the hard drive? Cant I just take the hard drive out and put it into a new computer or something?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Yesterday, out of the blue, my computer re-started itself. It didn't continue with the reset though, and just like stalled and never completed the re-set. Thankfully I was home when this happened, and so I just turned it off then back on.

Then a few hours later, it did it again, so I just shut it off and left it off.

I called my dad and he said it might be the fans - maybe the computer got too hot and it shut itself off - and to take off the back and to wipe down the fans.

Well, before doing that I was going to turn on the computer one more time. But then when I tried to turn the computer on, it WOULDNT even power up.

I called my dad again and he said it might be a blown fuse, or something is wrong with the power.

What do you guys think? Is it easily fixable?

I really need this like I need a hole in the head.

Sounds like your dad is probably right. If it doesn't turn on at all you probably need a new power supply.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

If you get into the case just make sure you touch the sides of the case before you touch any components so you are grounded and don't shock them.

Doesn't your school have a nerd pool to help you out or something? :shrug:

;)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Sounds like your dad is probably right. If it doesn't turn on at all you probably need a new power supply.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm

If you get into the case just make sure you touch the sides of the case before you touch any components so you are grounded and don't shock them.

Doesn't your school have a nerd pool to help you out or something? :shrug:

;)

Hey thanks for that website - I have a few guys in mind who I'm gonna see if I can corral into helping me. If not I have a last ditch effort of doing it myself (bahaha)

Where might one look to purchase a power supply?

Thanks Chaz - I really appreciate your help (that link was awesome!)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
No. I didnt get a chance to send myself all my songs. Please dont make me hyperventilate.

If it's the power supply, how does that affect the hard drive? Cant I just take the hard drive out and put it into a new computer or something?

The hard drive is probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

You could even move it into something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817119205

Then you could plug it into any USB equipped computer.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Hey thanks for that website - I have a few guys in mind who I'm gonna see if I can corral into helping me. If not I have a last ditch effort of doing it myself (bahaha)

Thanks Chaz - I really appreciate your help (that link was awesome!)

This is probably the cheapest I would go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103482

Your power supply has a power rating measured in WATTS.

Make sure you get an equal or higher watt number. The one linked above is a 250W.

Unless you are adding components and require more power best practice is probably to stick with the same rating that worked before.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
This is probably the cheapest I would go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103482

Your power supply has a power rating measured in WATTS.

Make sure you get an equal or higher watt number. The one linked above is a 250W.

Unless you are adding components and require more power best practice is probably to stick with the same rating that worked before.

I heart you!!! :notworthy

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Online is probably the cheapest method.

For a brick and mortar store, I would go to Fry's Electronics. However since I doubt there is one of those in Wisconsin, maybe you have a Compusa near by?

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
NewEgg.com usually has some good power supplies for cheap. Post what the wattage rating is of the one you have and I'm sure we can find you a good deal online.

Oh and Kate, backup your files! (We've had this discussion before you know)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Oh and Kate, backup your files! (We've had this discussion before you know)

lol i know - i just hadnt gotten around to it - i will do it as soon as my computer is back up and running!

Speaking of that, I went to Best Buy today and bought a 49.99 power supply for 39.99 (they had it wrongly advertised, so they honored the lower price). It has 350 watts.

Anyway, the highlight of the night for me was opening up that computer, and replacing the power supply ALL BY MYSELF! Okay, I did use Chaz's link as a reference, but I definitely kicked butt with it. I called my dad all happy cuz I was able to change the power supplies. I knew he'd be proud ;)

But the best thing is, THE COMPUTER TURNED ON!! I havent had a chance to plug in everything else to see if the startup screens and stuff come up (cuz I finished right when the Cardinal game started), but I will do that when I get home from work (which is where I'm at typing right now).

ANYWAY, THANK YOU all for your help - I should be back up and running in a few hours. WHEW!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is peachy-keen!

Thanks again everyone.

And I am going to send all my Hanson songs to myself tonight and save all my important docs!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I moved this weekend. Prior that that, I was having a minor issue with my Zone Alarm (my purchased copy wasnt loading... long story). Anyway, so I move, and I go to plug in my comp and my computer starts up for all of 2 seconds and then nothing. I change outlets, same thing.

I just bought a new power supply today, put it in, pressed the power button and ..... nothing, no power up.

I am starting to think my problem may not be the power supply. Could it be the motherboard? Maybe it got jostled in the move or something? Could this be related to my issue with Zone Alarm? It was around that time of the that Microsoft virus....

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Okay guys, I moved this weekend. Prior that that, I was having a minor issue with my Zone Alarm (my purchased copy wasnt loading... long story). Anyway, so I move, and I go to plug in my comp and my computer starts up for all of 2 seconds and then nothing. I change outlets, same thing.

I just bought a new power supply today, put it in, pressed the power button and ..... nothing, no power up.

I am starting to think my problem may not be the power supply. Could it be the motherboard? Maybe it got jostled in the move or something? Could this be related to my issue with Zone Alarm? It was around that time of the that Microsoft virus....

double check all plugs and connections.

Unplug/remove any cards and perpherals.

If it still will not power on and you are sure it isn't the power supply it is most likely the motherboard. In the current ATX system the MB has to send the signal to the PS to turn on.

It could be the connector for the switch but that would be unusual and you should be sure to check that in step 1.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Skinny McPimp

Reaction score
Your initial problem sounds very much like a power supply issue. The current problem could be the same issue but might be a new one. Unexpected power offs are usually a sign that the power supply is going bad. Depending on how old your computer is and the brand of the power supply, they could last a long time or last only a few months. Now for the current issue, if you just moved it, there's a chance that you dislodged the heat sink on the CPU. Most CPUs these days will shut themselves off if they over heat. Try using compressed air to blow out all the dust inside your computer and make sure none of the vents are clogged. Check your fans to make sure they are working properly. And then check your CPU fan/heatsink. It should be firm and properly planted on top of your CPU. If it isn't, you should really remount it which means getting some thermal paste remover, removing the paste between the heatsink and the cpu, then reapplying new thermal paste, and then clamping the heatsink/fan back onto the CPU.

Majority of issues in this area are dust build up (first), the power supply (second), CPU heat sink / fan mounting (third), video card overheating (if you have one of the higher powered gaming rigs), and last the motherboard. Things to check in the case of the motherboard would be to look at the capacitors and check if any of them seem to be bulging. If so, you have a damaged motherboard and will need to replace it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05