I Have a Theory About Offensive Play Calling

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I call it, “Prove it.” The theory is quite simple. If you run a play that works, keep mixing it in until the defense can prove they can stop it. Take Sunday’s game. Murray simply runs to the right, then goes all the way to the end zone. So being simple minded I’m thinking, make the Niners prove they can stop it if Murray continues to take off.

Earlier in the season I wrote how pleased I was to see Murray on the run, then pull up and hit Higgins in the end zone. Murray is so agile that from under center he can take a step or two to his right. Then he can seamlessly loop back to the left leaving his less agile pursuers trying to correct their routes. Murray showed he can pull up, set his feet and throw a rope to his target. We all know it’s hard for pass defenders to sustain contact, so the longer it takes for pass rushers to defend this play; the higher the likelihood of a completion. Yet despite its obvious effectiveness the play has not been repeated. It may well have not been a play the Cards drew up, but that’s no excuse for not adding it to the playbook.

Week after week I watch numerous teams run a successful play, then discard it in favor of an experiment. What are the chances some unused play will fare better than a proven winner. There’s a reason plays work. Sure execution is a large part of it, but the opposition’s failure to design a defense to stop a play also is a cause of offensive success. It’s hard coming up with original plays that work. So, put creativity aside and make an opponent prove they can stop what’s worked. I like the odds.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Harry, I don't understand that either. There must be something in the coach's handbook that says if a play works you can't use again. I would like to see more KM design runs. It makes the defenses job harder when every player has to focus on stopping KM. No, I don't want him taking hits. If has to slide before, the first down, that's OK. Live to fight another day.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the game film says they targeted Bosa’s aggressiveness and used it against him. Whether it was crushing him with 2TE double-teams, or making him guess and tackle Connor over and over again while Kyler ran past him with the ball, it was a masterclass on how to use an opponent’s aggression against them.

Bosa’s a smart player and they have a good defensive staff. They’ll be ready for it next time so we’ll have to change it up.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was written after Kyler’s run the 49ers coach assigned a man to Kyler to prevent a like run from happening again. Maybe that read didn’t exist the rest of the game.

The important thing is the Packers have it on film. They will adjust creating holes in other areas of their defense. Time to exploit…

Last edited: